996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive Air Intake Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Protomotive Air Intake Install

If anyone is considering doing this yourself, I just completed the install and took a lot of pictures along the way. The Greddy EBC and upgraded MAF were previously installed, so installation of these two items are not documented in the pictures, although the MAF is simply connecting 4 wires... Todd quoted about 6-8 hours for this job, but he has jigs for everything (and a lot of experience with this kit) vs. the "measure and test fit everything first" method that I used. I have to tell you, I thought this project would be pretty quick and I could not have been more wrong. I have about 60 hours into it. I still have to upload the proper software, then fine tune it via email, but I fired it up today and it started immediately and sounded good. This was a great learning experience, seeing how the OEM air intake, DV's, F-hose, etc. work and eliminating a lot of it and relocating/re-directing other parts....here are pictures of the completed engine bay and IC/air intake/DV's.

Two pages of detailed pictures can be seen here: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/...Install?page=1

Last edited by John D; 02-11-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Looks good,
what did yo do to the ICs on top since they are a smaller diameter.... did you use a reducer to connect tot the Y pipe?
best,
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Definitely a nice looking setup.

Any concerns to suck in water from the IC intake?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice indeed

Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
John, just looked over the build (all the pics) you must of spent 60hrs uploading and adding the info alone, lol

As usual from yourself, a great step by step project, thanks for sharing with everyone!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
excellent work- that sure looks like a big production!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Excelent, where does the MAF end up after all this?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by contigo
Excelent, where does the MAF end up after all this?
It looks like it is on top of the air intake collector on to of the engine.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Thanks

Very informative and helpful.
Thank you for taking the time for photos and step by step instruction.
People like you "John" are what makes this forum great.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice job !! Great pictures.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Impressive work and detail on Rennlist. Please update after the tune on the feel and sound.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Hello there...Excellent job...One question...I assume that the MAF is repositioned just before the intake...So the MAF reads compressed air values...not atmosfairic pressure values.Is that ok with the MAf?I ve never seen a MAF positioned after the turbo...All of them are before!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
That was my doubt

Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Did you keep your diverter valves in the factory location?

Mine are down in the fenders by the intercoolers

Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all the compliments! To answer some questions...

The Blown 6 IC connectors were cut off and replaced with the same tubing used throughout the Protomotive intake. The additional pictures show it better.

I am not worried about water as there are several of these out there now and as far as I know water has not been an issue.

The MAF is re-located to the Y-pipe, just before the throttle body. It now measures boosted air, as opposed to fresh air. That is how Protomotive does it and the Protomotive programming is specifically designed for this location. My test fire was with software designed for the MAF in the OEM location and it still ran very well, but obviously it requires the new programming. Todd wanted me to start it up before switching software, in case it didn't fire - so there would be less to consider.

The diverter valves are mounted on the intercoolers in typical Protomotive fashion, although I had to use the lower rear, as it was the only spot on the B6's to mount them. You can see them on the second picture above (black Baileys on the underside of the IC's). Here is a close-up -

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Air Intake Install