996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Simple and Easy 996 TT OEM SEAT Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
So basically you keep it as it is without the thick white foam... I'll try in a bit. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Sorry away skiing for a week, the center section simply lifts slightly up and unhooks to fold forwards. You just rehook it afterwards, those parts stay in place
Thanks Richard! I'll go out and give it a try. I hope you had a great time skiing.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Joey, you do need something in there otherwise you will feel the plastic frame beneath, , hence cutting out a thin piece of replacement foam to replace the extremely dense OEM bed mattress

Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
FWIW after a few days of regular driving I have taken out completely the new less dense thinner foam insert and its fine so you dont even need to add new foam

Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
so does the bottom portion of the seat also come off without removing the seat?????????

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
RCH
Banned
this is only the inner center seat back as per photo 1 & 2, nothing to do with the seat base

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RichardCH
this is only the inner center seat back as per photo 1 & 2, nothing to do with the seat base

Does it look "empty/dry/limp" without the foam in it...just curious if you could send a picture of the current foam-free status of things. Do you feel the frame?

Thanks!!!!!

JB

Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned
JTURBO996 is infamous around these parts
tried on supple seats no good..ordered sport seats with carbon fiber backs....thanks anyway for the post...

Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Freier is infamous around these parts
Richard, thanks again for this tip! I installed my new foam the other day and have been cruising around in my "new" seats. A huge improvement! I took a few photos as well to help others, and will post when my wife returns with the camera.

For those interested, I too swapped the seatback cushion on my supple leather seats. Picked up the material from a local shop: House of Foam in Palo Alto (California). They actually cut the new foam to match that of the standard piece, just a lot less dense.

Great mod, and only $55.

Cheers,
freier

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
I also did my drivers seat last night, those metal rings are a royal pain to get out, why didn't they use tie-wraps??

I put in some flame retardent foam (those seat heater wires might get hot enough to melt any old foam - the stock dense foam has a layer of some material on it that looks like it may be flame retardent).

The new feeling of being sunk back in to the seat is great, but I am feeling the plastic backing frame in a few places so will take a look tonight and see what I can do to tailor a better fit..

Worth the experiment and easily reversible if you aren't happy, I'd just use tie-wraps to replace the little metal rings..

Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
RCH
Banned
I have just driven 350 miles with no foam at all, just the frame, it doesn't look saggy by the way externally.

Put the seat back slightly more upright, just fine, very comfy

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Freier
Richard, thanks again for this tip! I installed my new foam the other day and have been cruising around in my "new" seats. A huge improvement! I took a few photos as well to help others, and will post when my wife returns with the camera.

For those interested, I too swapped the seatback cushion on my supple leather seats. Picked up the material from a local shop: House of Foam in Palo Alto (California). They actually cut the new foam to match that of the standard piece, just a lot less dense.

Great mod, and only $55.

Cheers,
freier
Freier -- Please post your DIY pics when you can. It would really help me!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Great idea and a cheap mod!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Hi.

I pulled pretty hard and could not get it out...how hard/how directionally do you pull.....

TIA

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
RCH
Banned
You just lift up vertically the center seat section not very hard and it unclips

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Simple and Easy 996 TT OEM SEAT Mod