996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Simple and Easy 996 TT OEM SEAT Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Simple and Easy 996 TT OEM SEAT Mod

Ok always hated my OEM TT seat, so bought a GT3 Seat which was fine until my nephew gave me a back problem on a water slide and since then have been always twisting a nerve so GT3 seat unfortunately had to go (and I'm much the better for it, however I loved it; as daily driver it just didn't work). So back in with the OEM version (electric everything, including all the little air pump bags.)

Two weeks later I really hate OEM again, its like sitting on a SOFA in a 500 HP car, the seats just don't grip and have been racking my (small brain) deciding what to do about it whilst desperately holding onto the steering wheel.

Today I discovered that you can un hook the OEM seat center section, Pic 1 yes, just lift it up and it angles forward. So I simply took out the large formed dense foam in there Pic 2 (which can be then reinstalled as you so wish) and fitted it with a cut piece of less dense thinner foam (already fitted in Pic 1)

Now I have a sports seat again, which I sit in, not on and the sides grip. This very simple mod has made me extremely happy.
Electric everything works just the same of course

Attached Images   

Last edited by RCH; 02-13-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
You mean it just comes apart? You didn't have to pull threads or anything?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
nope the centre section just simply unhooks for maintenance access, just lift it up, bit of a revelation really ... get out in the garage and check it out

Last edited by RCH; 02-12-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Brilliant! Thanks.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Could be the answer to my prayers! Thanks!

I have been keeping an eye open on used Sports seats prices and they are just a bit too prohibitive, and next to never in Stone Grey.. I hate the roll off feeling you get on stock seats cornerring fast, looking forward to getting home tonight now to mess with mine!

How thick foam did you go down too? Still plenty comfortable too I take it?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
jagsiva is infamous around these parts
The rear seat bottoms come out as well...

Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
RCH
Banned
With the new foam, I just cut out the same shape from a foam square bought from my DIY store, its slightly less thick than the OEM foam you take out but more critically is much less DENSE which allows you to sink into the seat and take advantage of the side grip, its a massive improvement

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
RCH
Banned
you guys HAVE to look into this, the difference is in quality is MASSIVE

Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned
JTURBO996 is infamous around these parts
Rich,I have the supple seats i hate them,there worst than my hummer seats....Can I do what u did tothem?I was up all nite looking for sport seats where can I find them mint or new in Black....

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Freier is infamous around these parts
Great find Richard! I think I have a new project for the holiday weekend. Does the bottom cushion also come out, or did you just re-work the top portion?

Cheers,
Scott

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
blah i have the supple seats aswell.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
The backs come off easy enough, did you wiggle in/out the foam or unlip the fabric from around it to get it out?

Hopefully I'll get a chance to find some suitable foam replacement this weekend, gueesing at the fabric/sewing shops...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM
RCH
Banned
top center section only, I separated the grey foam from the main support cushion (pic 2) and the inserted the new portion. Ps you need to re use the white plastic frame but I took out the metal rings previously attaching this

Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by RichardCH
top center section only, I separated the grey foam from the main support cushion (pic 2) and the inserted the new portion. Ps you need to re use the white plastic frame but I took out the metal rings previously attaching this
Those rings are little buggers, so you just went without them I take it after the mod? Get in there with a couple of needle nose pliers to pry them open or something more crude? Your tips would help, thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Sorry if i missed this, but where did you get the foam replacement? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Simple and Easy 996 TT OEM SEAT Mod