996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vivid's JIC Cross Suspension Package (Pic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docdan
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a picture of some of the parts I just received from Vivid Racing. I ordered the 996 Turbo Suspension package which included:

1. JIC Cross Coilover suspension
2. Agency Power Adjustable Rear Control Arms
3. Agency Power Rear Sway bar links
4. H&R 24mm rear adjustable sway bar

As you can see from the picture, the build quality and precision of these parts are apparant. Check out those camber plates! I had these installed by Doc's Grrrage in Lexington, SC and had it aligned and corner balanced by the good folks at Autometrics in Charleston, SC. They were impressed with the build quality as well.

I have yet to take possession of the car, but Autometrics set it up to the same specs as their Porsche Cup Car. I also upgraded my rotors to the Porsche GT3 Cup Rotors and Pagid Yellow pads. I am running GT2 calipers on the front and stock turbo calipers and rotors on the rears.

One controversial piece of equipment in the whole package is the front droplinks. As you can see in the picture, they are not as beefy as the rest of the components. Some 6speed members have reported breaking their front droplinks.

Dan from Vivid Racing has been very helpful during this whole process. He has reassured me that none of his customers, inlcuding himself, have had these droplinks break. Nonetheless, in 30 days, he will have available to me some new heavier duty droplinks to replace the ones above.

Thus, apparantly the fly in the ointment has finally been extracted. I can't wait for my next track day. The folks at Autometrics assured me with the new suspension and brakes, the car will perform like a whole new beast.

I will keep you guys posted!
I have a similar set up with the heaviest springs. Totally transformed the car!!
Drives fine on the street as well (even if it is just to and from the track it is 200miles at a time)

Nice choice.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
one of the drop links is already tweaked. even before install. those are pretty wimpy dl's even for stock.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
can you enlighten us?
Look at the suspension setup under the GT2 'RSR' conversion thread.

He has 997 RSR uprights with custom A-arm links, toe links, RSR subframe, JRZ race shocks, 2 piece rear control arms, etc.

That's what you call a serious suspension. The JIC/Cross stuff is nice and cost-effective, but it's amateur stuff compared to that level. Prices are also different as well, as it's probably over 10 times the cost to put in all those Porsche Motorsport and ERP components.

However Mark, if you want handling to match your power, it's the only way to go... however, the suspension alone with labor and proper setup will probably cost you at least half or more of what you spent on your Proto stuff. Real RSR box uprights are over $30K, parts only.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Addicted is infamous around these parts
Dude, he isn't running in the Indy races. lol

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
4G64T is infamous around these parts
I am considering the same setup. I have the JIC's on my Evo9. The ride is a bit harsh as i have all the strut, sway and under bracing, but I am use to it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7

However Mark, if you want handling to match your power, it's the only way to go... however, the suspension alone with labor and proper setup will probably cost you at least half or more of what you spent on your Proto stuff. Real RSR box uprights are over $30K, parts only.
I have ERP components along with bushings and subframe mounts.... but I simply do not track the car so I decided to do the minimum...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 AM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
I have the 8/12 setup with GT3 sway bars front and rear. I also am using beefier drop links in the front. Also dropped the car about 3/4-1 inch so it sits very nicely but not too aggressive for the street (stay away from bottoming out with the front lip). More aggressive alignment as well.

net-net, the car is really dialed in on the track, especially running with MPSC's...like night and day as they say. On the street, it is pretty stiff even with the dampeners on softest setting and they do make some noise when you go over certain types of bumps. I don't do too many miles on the street so can live with it but do drive the car to track events. (My wife doesn't like riding in it for too long now due to the ride and the exahust!)

Hope you like the setup!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Got the Car Back!

Okay guys...got the car back. "WoW" is all I can say. It is a tremendous improvement over the H&R lowering springs I was running. On the way back home from work yesterday, I got a taste of what it could do on the on ramps and off ramps. It truly is like a whole new car in terms of handling.

As far as ride comfort goes...not bad at all. I had my 19" Champions with MPSC. The front JIC's were set to 5 clicks from firmest. The ride on the highway was fine. On bumpy roads, well...you could feel all the bumps. But hey, who likes to drive their Porsche on bumpy roads, anyway?

As far as any type of "twitchiness"....I now Know what he means...and it wasn't what I had thought it was. By that I mean, the car drives great in a straight line since it was professionally aligned and corner balanced (to include my body weight in the drivers seat). I was afraid that at high speeds I would have a hard time keeping it straight. NOT the case at all, I could take my hands off the steering wheel on a straight Interstate for 10-15 secs. going 80mph and the car tracked straight.

The "twitchiness" he was referring to is how sharply the car will steer, even at high speeds. Now when I'm driving fast, even slight turns of the wheel sends the car darting in the new direction. Albeit under well control.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this setup and the work done by Doc's Grrrage and Autometrics. Next friday I will run this car at Carolina Motorsports Park along with my new GT3 Cup Rotors and Pagid Yellows (on GT2 calipers). I will keep you all posted how it goes.

Later on, I will also post the official spec sheet from Autometrics which shows all the alignment specs as well as corner weights.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
Looks like a nice set-up. Personally, i would like to see adjustable end links on the rear swaybar, espesially since the bar is adjustable and the car is on coilovers. The same for the front actually, you need to be able to get rid of any pre-load on the bars, otherwise the set-up you just did will be thrown off a bit.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
SEAN 996 is infamous around these partsSEAN 996 is infamous around these parts
Good to hear that you are pleased with it. I can't wait for the VIR event in March. I just ordered the 6 piston front brake kit from Suncoast. Have fun next friday!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
robinh20mrv is infamous around these parts
do gt3 sway bars reduce the roll of the car?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by robinh20mrv
do gt3 sway bars reduce the roll of the car?

They are adjustable vs non adjustable for the standard items

Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by derek k
Looks like a nice set-up. Personally, i would like to see adjustable end links on the rear swaybar, espesially since the bar is adjustable and the car is on coilovers. The same for the front actually, you need to be able to get rid of any pre-load on the bars, otherwise the set-up you just did will be thrown off a bit.

Thank you for the suggestions. Could you recommend any specific parts? Also, would I need to have the car corner balanced and aligned again? Thanks

Dan

Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Robert@Redline is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by derek k
You don't need them for the front swaybar because of the adjustable swaybar perch on the JIC's, don't really need them the rear also because there is hardly any angle difference when adjusting the swaybar.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Robert@Redline is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
can you enlighten us?
Sure:

GT3 front a-arms and brake guides. GT3 Cup rear lower control arms and GT3 rear brake ducts guides. GT3 rear subframe solid bushings. Rear TRG toe link with OEM front turbo tie rods. OEM 993RS engine mounts.

The GT3 front a-arms allow more camber adjust with the correct caster placement of trailing arms. OEM GT3 rear subframe bushings reduce movement of rear suspension and they are much cheaper than any aftermarket offerings. Rear GT3 Cup control arms allow more camber adjust, has solid inner bushings and trailing arm bushings. I choose TRG rear toe links for the build quality, they are needed because of the extra adjustability of rear toe. They also eliminate needing to adjust toe with the OEM eccentrics which is a joke. And finally, 993RS rear engine mounts. The 996 turbo powertrain is very heavy, we have found when tracked...the stock engine mounts would allow excessive movement causing the rear move. When we tried the 993RS mounts, it made a huge difference.

Last edited by Robert@Redline; 02-16-2008 at 09:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vivid's JIC Cross Suspension Package (Pic)