996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 AM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Seal. Thanks for the report - confirming that this is a great street setup with quick spooling, decent power and relatively cheap and easy to do.

Can I ask is the 5 bar FPR necessary? At this boost/power level do you need the extra fuel pressure?

Also do you have any subjective description of what your car feels like now after the upgrade? Especially around town?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deandob
Seal. Thanks for the report - confirming that this is a great street setup with quick spooling, decent power and relatively cheap and easy to do.

Can I ask is the 5 bar FPR necessary? At this boost/power level do you need the extra fuel pressure?

Also do you have any subjective description of what your car feels like now after the upgrade? Especially around town?
If you look up a few posts, Tony posted injector duty cycle. The 5 bar allows more fuel delivery at WOT. Under max load you'll see that I'm still at 95% injector duty cycle. Many tunes go as high as 110% duty cycle and overdrive the stock injectors.
As Tony explained to me, this is dangerous because it takes away the computer's ability to dump fuel into the system if it doesn't like something because it's already at the ragged edge.
A 5 bar is a cheap and easy upgrade if your car is tuned for it. Adding a 5 bar to a car that isn't tuned for a 5 bar is only a good idea if your car is running lean. Otherwise, if you have good looking AFRs without it, you'd probably just create a rich condition.

Moral of the story: pick a tune that was specifically created to use a 5bar. After seeing the results I think Tony will only sell his tune for these turbos with a 5bar.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the info John. What was that trap speed by the way... so I know what I'm shooting for?

Originally Posted by John D
Seal, from what I was told at the time of purchase by Speed Gallery..this is the background of my former turbos (now Elliots). Speed Gallery has an alternate source for the K16/24 hybrids (other than Kevin). The reason they call them "low clearance" is that they are machined with .003 clearance, which I was told is how the "zero clearance" end up, after they are broken in. The reason (I was told by SG) that SG prefers these "low clearance" hybrids is because with the zero clearance turbo - the break-in proceedure is very detailed and time consuming. If not performed properly, the turbos can become unbalanced and ruined, requiring a rebuild. By machining to an already broken in tolerance, they avoid any problems with customers not following the break in proceedure properly...The billet wastegates were supplied by kevin, I believe. KPG's car and my car ran pretty equal in real world testing. We both tried a few times to come up with our best runs in the 1/4 mile, which is a great real world test. I had KPG by a few hundreths in ET and he had me by 1 MPH in trap - for all intents and purposes - dead even cars. I'm not sure if this even belongs in a thread about your K16/16G's, but since comparison to my old turbos came up, I thought I would offer what I know about them...

I agree with KPG - Have fun and enjoy them. That's a great level to be at!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
K16/24 hybrids

My 2 best runs:
11.51@ 127.25
11.58 @ 126.12

KPG best ET and best trap:
11.58 @ 122.6 - KPG / AWD
11.75 @ 128.2 - KPG / AWD

A couple of videos:

11.51 @ 127.25: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...4a01788977.htm

11.58 @ 126.12: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...690151a59b.htm

Last edited by John D; 02-15-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Great results Seal! I heard through the grape vine about this a few days ago and was waiting for your post. Tony definately dialed in your setup and he should have great product offerings for the 996TT in the future.

I am hoping to have my setup Dyno Tuned in the near future as I think that make a big difference. On my S4 when I got Dyno tuned recently. I know I picked up over 50 Crank HP on 93oct. I doubt I will get those types of gains but every little bit counts!

We should meet up sometime next week. There is a MAHA Dyno at KMD Tuning (westwood NJ) and this dyno is probably one of the most acurate around in terms of Crank HP and all round numbers. My friend Dyno'd his Carrera GT there and got exactly the Factory numbers so I know it is calibrated right.

I will be setting up a DYNO Day at KMD sometime in the Spring and will let everyone here know about it so they can attend if they wish. Hopefully we can get a bunch of differeent setups to compare.

Once again Congrats and most of all enjoy!

Last edited by str8blst; 02-15-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Alan,
Awesome. Thanks for the invite... I'd love to attend. If the weather gets a bit nicer, we should round everyone up for a day at the drags too. That's always a fun time. If we're going to do it, we should probably do it soon though. Something tells me my stock clutch isn't going to last too long.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Seal Grey Matte those are some awesome #'s your car is making with that setup........I was looking at that board with all the dyno results on it......didnt Tims car from RPM run like a 10.9 @ 140.XX or something around there? he had to have more then 593HP in order to pull a time like that out of a 3500 lb car.....Did that do some type of % reduction to compensate for another factor in order to get those #'s? or were they all plotted on the board directly from what the dyno reading? Just curious because I am now looking to upgrade my turbos and more curious about 1/4 times wrather then HP #'s I know what the 24/18G's are capable of I know what the 24/16 hybrids do too , real curious about your 16/16G's Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by LiNks
Hey Seal Grey Matte those are some awesome #'s your car is making with that setup........I was looking at that board with all the dyno results on it......didnt Tims car from RPM run like a 10.9 @ 140.XX or something around there? he had to have more then 593HP in order to pull a time like that out of a 3500 lb car.....Did that do some type of % reduction to compensate for another factor in order to get those #'s? or were they all plotted on the board directly from what the dyno reading? Just curious because I am now looking to upgrade my turbos and more curious about 1/4 times wrather then HP #'s I know what the 24/18G's are capable of I know what the 24/16 hybrids do too , real curious about your 16/16G's Thanks
Yeah, the 575hp/658tq red car is Tim's infamous "red dragon". Sick Car!! Tony's Mustang is a very low reading dyno and, although factory calibrated, it's a real heart-breaker. In deference to Tim's car, I believe he said it wasn't running well that day and it was on drag radials which apparently gives a lower reading on a dyno. Hopefully I'll be able to get some 1/4 times for this rig soon.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
ramone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Yeah, the 575hp/658tq red car is Tim's infamous "red dragon". Sick Car!! Tony's Mustang is a very low reading dyno and, although factory calibrated, it's a real heart-breaker. In deference to Tim's car, I believe he said it wasn't running well that day and it was on drag radials which apparently gives a lower reading on a dyno. Hopefully I'll be able to get some 1/4 times for this rig soon.

So are these 16K/16G turbos a good setup for me ???

I currently have a K16 with exhaust and Dvs. I don't want any rebuilt internals. I just want a 600hp car that responds/drives close to stock - no extra lag.

Is this a better option for me than some of those bigger Turbos ??

Last edited by ramone; 02-15-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D
Seal, from what I was told at the time of purchase by Speed Gallery..this is the background of my former turbos (now Elliots). Speed Gallery has an alternate source for the K16/24 hybrids (other than Kevin). The reason they call them "low clearance" is that they are machined with .003 clearance, which I was told is how the "zero clearance" end up, after they are broken in. The reason (I was told by SG) that SG prefers these "low clearance" hybrids is because with the zero clearance turbo - the break-in proceedure is very detailed and time consuming. If not performed properly, the turbos can become unbalanced and ruined, requiring a rebuild. By machining to an already broken in tolerance, they avoid any problems with customers not following the break in proceedure properly...The billet wastegates were supplied by kevin, I believe. KPG's car and my car ran pretty equal in real world testing. We both tried a few times to come up with our best runs in the 1/4 mile, which is a great real world test. I had KPG by a few hundreths in ET and he had me by 1 MPH in trap - for all intents and purposes - dead even cars. I'm not sure if this even belongs in a thread about your K16/16G's, but since comparison to my old turbos came up, I thought I would offer what I know about them...

I agree with KPG - Have fun and enjoy them. That's a great level to be at!
Very interesting info, didn't know the slight difference between low and zero clearance setups/..

I must say, to anyone who is upgrading turbo's its a MUST unless you are looking for monster power 750 and over, the throttle response and linear boost/hardly any lag is pure bliss!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by str8blst
Great results Seal! I heard through the grape vine about this a few days ago and was waiting for your post. Tony definately dialed in your setup and he should have great product offerings for the 996TT in the future.

I am hoping to have my setup Dyno Tuned in the near future as I think that make a big difference. On my S4 when I got Dyno tuned recently. I know I picked up over 50 Crank HP on 93oct. I doubt I will get those types of gains but every little bit counts!

We should meet up sometime next week. There is a MAHA Dyno at KMD Tuning (westwood NJ) and this dyno is probably one of the most acurate around in terms of Crank HP and all round numbers. My friend Dyno'd his Carrera GT there and got exactly the Factory numbers so I know it is calibrated right.

I will be setting up a DYNO Day at KMD sometime in the Spring and will let everyone here know about it so they can attend if they wish. Hopefully we can get a bunch of differeent setups to compare.

Once again Congrats and most of all enjoy!
I'm down for that Alan, btw hope all is well over in the Jers

Seal Grey i'm down for a dyno/run day for sure.. But I would also love to just get together and chit chat, and get a ride with your new setup if you don't mind I'll let you take mine for a ride, although it's pretty useless in this cold temps LOL!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Hmm .. I'd like to know the spooling dynamics between the ZC and the 16G ...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
ILLM3,
Sounds good. I'm in San Diego for the weekend (headed to JFK in 2 hrs) but I'm back after that. Things are a bit nuts right now for me (work/getting married in 3 weeks), but I've always got time for car talk. I'd love to hear your RUF exhaust too.

Last edited by Seal Grey Matte; 02-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Hmm .. I'd like to know the spooling dynamics between the ZC and the 16G ...
I'd be interested too. As you can see from the dyno plot on page 1 of this monster thread, these definitely spool much faster than stock K16s. Maybe a ZC car wants to come to the dyno/drag day that seems to be forming.

No matter where the cars end up, more data points and more info helps us all.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I'd be interested too. As you can see from the dyno plot on page 1 of this monster thread, these definitely spool much faster than stock K16s. Maybe a ZC car wants to come to the dyno/drag day that seems to be forming.

No matter where the cars end up, more data points and more info helps us all.
What dyno drag day?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)