996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ramone
So are these 16K/16G turbos a good setup for me ???

I currently have a K16 with exhaust and Dvs. I don't want any rebuilt internals. I just want a 600hp car that responds/drives close to stock - no extra lag.

Is this a better option for me than some of those bigger Turbos ??
Yes.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deandob
Seal. Can I ask is the 5 bar FPR necessary? At this boost/power level do you need the extra fuel pressure?
I'm curious about this as well.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ramone
So are these 16K/16G turbos a good setup for me ???

I currently have a K16 with exhaust and Dvs. I don't want any rebuilt internals. I just want a 600hp car that responds/drives close to stock - no extra lag.

Is this a better option for me than some of those bigger Turbos ??
Acually, the car does not drive like stock. Power aside, the car actually drives MUCH better than stock. Not only is there less lag than stock (you can see it on the dyno plots), but the car has much better throttle response. Right off idle, you can feal that the car is much more responsive and revs much easier. It's actually a joy to putter around town in this car.
Then there's that other type of joy when you mash the loud pedal .

I'm finding it very tough to describe, but even if the car made the same power as stock, I'd still want Tony's software just for the throttle response improvement.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I'm down for that Alan, btw hope all is well over in the Jers

Seal Grey i'm down for a dyno/run day for sure.. But I would also love to just get together and chit chat, and get a ride with your new setup if you don't mind I'll let you take mine for a ride, although it's pretty useless in this cold temps LOL!
I already made a mental note to include you Martin!

Do you guys know if it will be OK to post up about this on 6speed? The shop that will be hosting this event is not a forum sponsor. I will not be making any money form this event but I would like to organize it. All results will be posted here for the forum members to enjoy. I just don't want to get BANNED if I try and put something together...

How does March 8 or 9th sound to you guys?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by str8blst
How does March 8 or 9th sound to you guys?
March 8 = wedding day.

I'm not definite, but I'm pretty sure if I attended, the bride-to-be would show up with a shotgun and haul me out of there.

Then I'm on my honeymoon until March 27th.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
ILLM3,
Sounds good. I'm in San Diego for the weekend (headed to JFK in 2 hrs) but I'm back after that. Things are a bit nuts right now for me (work/getting married in 3 weeks), but I've always got time for car talk. I'd love to hear your RUF exhaust too.
Wow congrats man, btw same over here as far as time goes. But hey, give me a shout whenever you are free, we'll try and set something up !!!

BTW Alan, I think you should be good to go posting it up!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Wow. Who would've thought this would become the most interesting thread on here in months. Great info guys!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts

Can I ask is the 5 bar FPR necessary? At this boost/power level do you need the extra fuel pressure?
Every tuner will tell you something different about when/if you need a 5 bar on these tunes.

General rule of thumb for good tuning practices is that injectors should not be pushed beyond 80% duty cycle.....well, its seems these good practices are often over looked by many, if not all tuners in the European tuning market ( this is not a shot at any tuner, I find myself doing the same day in and day out).

Seals car is currently running ~96% duty on his injectors. Basically what this means is that the fuel injectors is spraying 96% of the time. This type of fuel delivery is not much different then carbonated fueling technology where fuel is just “ON” at all times..

I have data logged many 996’s at this point with various set ups and I often see theoretical injector duty surpass 100%. Anything above 100% is 100% and the fuel injector is just a wide open fountain with no control…

I think the biggest thing that needs to be considered when approaching nearly 100% the capacity of a fuel injector is this….The me7.8 ecu is very very solicited with many safe guards. The ecu’s ability to enrich the a/f mixture based on conditions that it believes are not correct is one of its simplest yet most effective safe guards of them all. For this reason Porsche built plenty of over head into the 996tt’s fuel system. When we chip our cars or add turbo upgrades with out increasing fuel capacity, we are removing some of this over head in the fuel system and taking away a considerable margin of safety.

5bar fprs and bigger fuel injectors are cheap… 996 motors are not. Over head should be kept in these fuel systems when at all possible.

Last edited by nerdhotrod; 02-15-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
Every tuner will tell you something different about when/if you need a 5 bar on these tunes.

General rule of thumb for good tuning practices is that injectors should not be pushed beyond 80% duty cycle.....well, its seems these good practices are often over looked by many, if not all tuners in the European tuning market ( this is not a shot at any tuner, I find myself doing the same day in and day out).

Seals car is currently running ~96% duty on his injectors. Basically what this means is that the fuel injectors is spraying 96% of the time. This type of fuel delivery is not much different then carbonated fueling technology where fuel is just “ON” at all times..

I have data logged many 996’s at this point with various set ups and I often see theoretical injector duty surpass 100%. Anything above 100% is 100% and the fuel injector is just a wide open fountain with no control…

I think the biggest thing that needs to be considered when approaching nearly 100% the capacity of a fuel injector is this….The me7.8 ecu is very very solicited with many safe guards. The ecu’s ability to enrich the a/f mixture based on conditions that it believes are not correct is one of if simplest yet most effective safe guards of them all. For this reason Porsche built plenty of over head into the 996tt’s fuel system. When we chip our cars or add turbo upgrades with out increasing fuel capacity, we are removing some of this over head in the fuel system and taking away a considerable margin of safety.

5bar fprs and bigger fuel injectors are cheap… 996 motors are not. Over head should be kept in these fuel systems when at all possible.
What does a set of new fuel injectors run?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Average $550

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarNerd
What does a set of new fuel injectors run?
335 for 6... but keep in mind you will need software that supports whatever injector you decide to go with.

Last edited by nerdhotrod; 02-15-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
nerdhotrod,

An excellent explaination, that backs up what Seal posted a page back, and I have learnt something new about the car.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
nerdhotrod,

An excellent explaination, that backs up what Seal posted a page back, and I have learnt something new about the car.

Opps, I missed seals response. Good thing we said the same thing .

Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
For those interested... This is the absolute end of the stock fuel system. Sure, some will chime in that "I made more with out bigger injectors"... But from a good tuning prospective, anymore power then this should really have bigger injectors.

Duty Cycle graph for reference.

Nerd, following the logic you posted above, and seeing Seal's graph, it looks like the limits have already been reached above 5K rpms and that the ECU has little control of the fuel mixture above 5K rpm with this tune. Or does the ECU continue to adjust the AFR through other means once it knows the injectors are no longer regulating the flow?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Nerd, following the logic you posted above, and seeing Seal's graph, it looks like the limits have already been reached above 5K rpms and that the ECU has little control of the fuel mixture above 5K rpm with this tune. Or does the ECU continue to adjust the AFR through other means once it knows the injectors are no longer regulating the flow?

Correct. The car really "need" fuel injectors. On seals car the ecu only has the ability to richen up another ~3-6%. Which isnt good, but its better then ALOT of other tunes I've seen on the market.

If the ecu thinks things are REAL bad, it will close the throttle body and release boost pressure (as long as you dont have an electronic boost controller).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)