996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)

So, as many of you know, I wanted to try something different, so I had a set of K16/16g hybrids built by a local turbo builder that Tony at EPL and some other tuners on this board work with. I then asked Tony to custom tune the car. Again, I have no affiliation with Tony or European Performance Labs, I'm just a happy customer.

DISCLOSURE: The car presently is BONE STOCK aside from: K16/16g hybrid turbos with 1 bar wastegate actuators, a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator and Tony's software. The car is AWD and has a stock exhaust, stock OEM paper air filter, stock DVs, stock EVERYTHING.

If there's one lesson that's been beaten into my head over the past month on this forum, it's that dyno numbers count for nothing because there's so much variation between dynos. That said, with a very conservative tune (93 octane, 1.1 bar) the car did 481whp and 534wtq. As you can see, these spooled faster than even stock K16's and held on longer as well. Here's stock vs. flashed vs. K16/16g:

I'm anticipating many are going to say... but K16/K24 cars should make over 500 at the wheels. Well, I'm very happy with these figures, and here's why:

1. My bone stock car made 334 whp on this dyno (in similar weather) so I can solve for my driveline loss and solve for my crank hp. Doing the math 334/416 = 481/X. Solve for X and you get 599.08 at the crank. It's also a 44% increase in power at the wheels.

2. Tony's dyno is a mustang and reads lower than most. When compared to what other cars did in similar weather on this same dyno on the east coast dyno day it really put things in perspective. Take a look at the results below:

Note, the dyno day figures were, unsmoothed, uncorrected numbers. To compare apples to apples, my car made 495whp and 541tq unsmoothed and uncorrected.

So with a stock exhaust and at 1.1 bar, my car made:
- 30 more horses at the wheels than a K16/K24 car with a fabspeed exhaust, ported headers, GT2 ICs, Forge DVs and EVOMS Intake (this car has John D's old speed gallery low clearance hybrids on them with a wastegate kit). Comparing the plots, I also like the power delivery of these turbos better.
- VERY similar power to a Proto 600 K24/18g kit with exhaust and the other proto bells and whistles. I've overlayed the dyno plots and they're VERY similar (power as well as curves, though mine spools sooner).

All told, I'm extremely happy with these results. I think your dollar goes VERY far with this setup (so far, with everything, I've spent less than some spend just for flashes). I'll add an exhaust at some point and be done with it. The results are exactly what I asked for: the quickest spool up possible with smooth linear power for the street or track. For me, these turbos are the perfect compromise between big hp, early spool and wide power band.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Mike, i've been waiting for you to post these results....i'm VERY impressed! Those are some solid gains especially with stock exhaust and ICs!!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Wow baby!!! I can not wait for mine! It will be interesting to see what these turbos can do with an aftermarket exhaust and DV's without a 5 Bar FPR and upgraded wastegate springs.

Last edited by CarNerd; 02-14-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Wow baby!!! I can not wait for mine with DV's and an exhaust! Thanks!
You made a very good choice. I have driven many many different set ups, and these things are awsome!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
K16/16Gs are not new to me... I know of the set up.... Protomotive has done a few over the years. The 16g dies where the 18g picks... with that said you cannot get to the 700 hp crank with them... but if that is not the point then I agree that the 16g are a nice alternative to K16/24s. Just the mere fact that a 18g is bigger it will push more air then the 16g ...
just like a 20g will produce another 50 rwhp over the 18gs... and I drove a 18g 600 hp car, a 18g 700 hp car, and a 20g 750 hp car...
Good job, but get rid of the stock exhaust because its choking up on top...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
mark would it be possible to do a k16/20g setup, just out of curiosity.. how much power would that be good for?

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
K16/16Gs are not new to me... I know of the set up.... Protomotive has done a few over the years. The 16g dies where the 18g picks... with that said you cannot get to the 700 hp crank with them... but if that is not the point then I agree that the 16g are a nice alternative to K16/24s. Just the mere fact that a 18g is bigger it will push more air then the 16g ...
just like a 20g will produce another 50 rwhp over the 18gs... and I drove a 18g 600 hp car, a 18g 700 hp car, and a 20g 750 hp car...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI

I dont see this as an option for people looking for 700 crank hp's nor was that Seal's intent on the upgrade. Its pretty obvious that the 18g will flow more then the 16g, but at what cost.... If you stick the 18g wheel in a k16 housing, you produce nothing more then heat. If you step up to a k24/18g you loose 400-500 rpms of response.

This turbo is for someone that wants stock response (or better), stock fuel system (plus 5 bar), and 600 crank hps. Its a much better option that the k16/24's.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Markski. An exhaust is in the works. Either a used Miltek, or a modified stock ala RUF is in the near future.

Yeah, 600 is where I wanted to end up. 700 would make me think I needed to do internals sooner or later and I don't want to get anywhere near that level of expense. So with 600 as my target, the 16gs made sense because of the early spool. I wasn't expecting them to have even less lag than a flashed K16 car though!!

I was shocked when we laid my plot over the K24/18g plot and they looked almost identical (aside from the early spool on the 16gs).
I'm sure with a fueling kit it's a whole 'nother story though.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
nycsurfer is infamous around these parts
very impressive number ,glad u are happy with the setup

Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I'm just curious ... what makes the 16g a "much better" option than the K16/24's?

Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
I dont see this as an option for people looking for 700 crank hp's nor was that Seal's intent on the upgrade. Its pretty obvious that the 18g will flow more then the 16g, but at what cost.... If you stick the 18g wheel in a k16 housing, you produce nothing more then heat. If you step up to a k24/18g you loose 400-500 rpms of response.

This turbo is for someone that wants stock response (or better), stock fuel system (plus 5 bar), and 600 crank hps. Its a much better option that the k16/24's.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
I'm just curious ... what makes the 16g a "much better" option than the K16/24's?
I'm not sure it its a MUCH better option, but as per the aforementioned results, its cheaper (3k for turbos and softronic programming from Dan at Vivid, opposed to 5k for 16/24's and programming from Kevin at UMW) and produces more power...

"So with a stock exhaust and at 1.1 bar, my car made:
- 30 more horses at the wheels than a K16/K24 car with a fabspeed exhaust, ported headers, GT2 ICs, Forge DVs and EVOMS Intake (this car has John D's old speed gallery low clearance hybrids on them with a wastegate kit). Comparing the plots, I also like the power delivery of these turbos better.
- VERY similar power to a Proto 600 K24/18g kit with exhaust and the other proto bells and whistles. I've overlayed the dyno plots and they're VERY similar (power as well as curves, though mine spools sooner)."

Last edited by CarNerd; 02-14-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
for 93 octane, stock exhaust, and only k16/16g + tune, at 1.1 bar... very impressive!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
For starters, it made 30 more hp at the wheels than a car that had ALOT more hardware (intake, exhaust, ICs, headers, etc.). I liked the curve a lot better, too. Here's the plot from the K16/K24 car at the east coast dyno day:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...3&postcount=42

Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
all the way from Cancun.... NICE!!!! Guess who has these on the shelf too Good work Tony and Seal. my only question is the dyno calibration. what is the multiplier being ran?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by AIRjordan23
for 93 octane, stock exhaust, and only k16/16g + tune, at 1.1 bar... very impressive!
Thanks man. It's nowhere near the 550whp your car put down that day, but I'm pretty happy with it. Race gas and cranked boost really made those K24/18gs shine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL Tuned K16/16G RESULTS!!! (warning, long)