996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark Plug Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
No Intercooler

Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Looks involved? Looks like the exhaust or the intercoolers can be removed.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Denso Plugs - PK20PR-P8 (double platinum )
and the link http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=3245

John, I watched Tom @ Lucent change my plugs and the coilpacks can be tricky getting out and back in. He said to be careful with them and not to pry them with a screwdriver.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the tip Mike and the pictures, Danyol. With 3 feet of snow on the ground, I have nothing but time right now, so I will be patient. If I get in trouble, I have a tech that can make house calls :-)

Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Are all of the plugs mentioned here good, or is there a prefered plug?

Anyone have any experience with the Pulstar Plugs that 26 each?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Bumper, wheel well liner, Intercooler (exhaust stays); It was tedious but I wouldn't classify it as "difficult".

Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I followed Kevin of UMW's advice on other posts for the Bosch. Plugs were <$4.50 each which didn't hurt either, 997TT coil packs are an updated replacement if any are cracked (around $50 each)

Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Start to finish took me 4.5hrs and I spent time cleaning the intercoolers and anything else that looked like it needed cleaning.

You will need a 1/4" drive with a swivel, and approximately 12" of extension and a 10mm socket to reach up and remove the rearward nuts on the inner heat shield. The forward nuts can be accessed after pulling the intercoolers.

Everything is just R&R.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 AM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
Careful with the hex bolts on the coil packs the heads can strip and removing them can be a PIA after that. Otherwise small hands and the tools mentioned help. I did not remove the heat shields, just bent them out of the way and installed the Denso Iridiums. Do a search on the gap, I remember reading the gap quoted in the manual is too wide.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Hi John, regarding the plug gap, I thought that most tuners on higher HP cars are running a gap of .025. What gap does proto suggest?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
mike,

I'm not sure of the gap. I plan to ask Todd when I order the plugs.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The plugs come ready to go pre gapped correctly...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
The plugs come ready to go pre gapped correctly...

You mean all plugs come pre-gapped and are ready to go?

thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 02:43 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TXGold
You mean all plugs come pre-gapped and are ready to go?

thanks
My Bosch FR6LDC were gapped correctly.

Edited to add: Always verify gap @ .8mm (.032")

Last edited by drh; 02-17-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hi John, regarding the plug gap, I thought that most tuners on higher HP cars are running a gap of .025. What gap does proto suggest?

.025-.028 for cars that are ~600 crank+.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Replacement Question