996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Garrett GT28BB Turbo Turbine Leak/Anyone have a Clue???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Garrett GT28BB Turbo Turbine Leak/Anyone have a Clue???

I have developed an exhaust leak coming from above the turbo on the passenger side.
I took off the bumper cover today to get a closer look.
You can visibly see exhaust carbon soot on the backside of the compressor backing plate. This is obviously coming from the Turbine or "Hot Side" of the turbo. I have had turbo cars for over 15 years and this is the first time i have had this issue.
The turbo is a GT28 Garrett with less than 2000 miles since the upgrade. Car was built by Rob King @ S-Car-Go Racing.

Anyone have any experience with this type of leak?

I have sent multiple emails to Rob and to his shops general email with no response. I thought i would have better customer support from them.

Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Did he replace the "crush ring gasket" between the hot side and the header?

I would replace these.

He also should answer your question, that is odd.

Good luck

MK

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Found a Missing Turbine Housing Bolt

I Found a Missing Turbine Housing Bolt. Look closely at the first pic near the verticle oil tube for the turbo oil tank. You can make out the hole in the turbine clamp with no bolt in it.

When i started to investigate this i also found a broken "actuator rod" that controls the wategate solenoid. If you look close at the pic you will see the rod was fabricated from all thread and this is the reason it failed. The crack was at the point of the bend.I am a pro Toolmaker/Fabricator by trade and this is considered a "nono". You never use allthread when you need to make bends like this, especially on a $125k hi performance car. Looks like the bolts holding on the turbine housing were never properly torqued. Seeing that this is a brand new build with less than 2000 pampered miles i am a little bumed out!
When i found the broken actuator rod i also emailed Rob two times and got no response. Thats 4 emails with no response. Rob's definately a knowledeable guy but both these issues i just found are very unprofessional mistakes.Yeah..I guess i'm somewhat dissapointed.

Check the pics

Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Something you may want to check is the condition of the turbo that did not break the wastegate actuator rod. Since both compressors discharge to a common Y -pipe, the ECU will never know if one turbo isnt producing as much boost as the other one. The turbo with the broken rod probably was just idling along with an open wastegate puck while its companion was going supersonic trying to produce enough boost for both. The ECU would never know to open the wastegate to prevent an overspin on the good turbo since it most likely never the other one was slacking.....

Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
Looks like you already pinpointed your exhaust leak. And I agree trying to bend all thread pretty much guarantees it will break.

It appears the only form of contact you have tried so far is email. If that is correct, just a suggestion, but maybe try giving them a phone call about these problems? Not saying they aren't in the wrong for ignoring your emails, just that I have often had better results with getting shops to respond more quickly when I called them directly.