996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any aftermarket steering wheels use stock airbag?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Any aftermarket steering wheels use stock airbag?

We already have two stock airbags. I'd like to get an aftermarket wheel (smaller and thicker) but don't want the airbag expense again. Do any of these techart, gemballa, etc wheels use the stock airbag assembly?

-Steve

Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
I have the Tech-Art wheel which uses the stock airbag but it is the same size as the stock wheel. I don't think there is a wheel that is smaller than stock that uses the stock airbag.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Bruce
I have the Tech-Art wheel which uses the stock airbag but it is the same size as the stock wheel. I don't think there is a wheel that is smaller than stock that uses the stock airbag.
i was under the impression that the TA wheel was smaller and thicker. if not, what's the point of it?

Last edited by SteveH; 06-23-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by offroadr35
i was under the impression that the TA wheel was smaller and thicker. if not, what's the point of it?
Steve: There are two versions of the TA wheel -- they are both significantly thicker than stock (as well as Porsche's "thicker wheel" option), but have different OD's. The TA version that takes the stock air bag is pictured below -- it's basically a stock wheel that TA makes thicker and recovers in leather. The other smaller version comes with a TA air bag. BTW, the smaller diameter steering wheel does obstruct one's view of the gauges.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Jack, how much does it cost to have techart do that (the reworked stock wheel)? Can they do it with my carbon fiber wheel? Who do i contact about this?

EDIT: also who makes those trim rings on your gauges?

P.S. i'm buying your old Fikses from Fred.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
I bought a set of Jack's Fikse's as well. Like Jack said the Tech-Art wheel does not obstruct the guages but is much thicker than stock. I bought mine from CEC in LA.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by offroadr35
Jack, how much does it cost to have techart do that (the reworked stock wheel)? Can they do it with my carbon fiber wheel? Who do i contact about this?

EDIT: also who makes those trim rings on your gauges?

P.S. i'm buying your old Fikses from Fred.
Steve, I don't know the current pricing -- it has gone up quite a bit given the current Euro/$ exchange rate. Way back when (over 2 years ago) the wheel was around $1K with the exchange of your stock wheel. They do make a carbon fiber version also.

Contact CEC--ask for Albert Cook -- 310-203-3900 OR contact Arling (Lucent) for his price.

Trim rings are made by Dansk and sold by Performance Products (among others) -- 1-800-423-3173

Fred told me you're buying the Fikses, which were built to GT2 spec. As Bruce mentioned, he purchased my Fikses that were built to TT spec. I feel honored to have "my wheels" circulating all over the country.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:29 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
offroadr - for trim rings try board sponsor and member Eric from bumperplugs...
As for Techart, give Arling at Lucent a call...he has THE best prices on Techart

Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Jack(LA)
BTW, the smaller diameter steering wheel does obstruct one's view of the gauges.

In my case, the stock steering obstructs the gauges. So I guess the smaller diameter wheel would be worse.