996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dyno Results :( Stage 4GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:32 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
What I want to know is how you guys can spin the tires "at 80mph" or at "the top of third on the highway" with ~550 rwhp/tq? That just doesn't seem possible in an AWD 996. Sounds more like a slipping clutch to me ...

Old 06-25-2004, 05:36 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally posted by StephenTi
Seems like sometimes, your car pulls like a bat-out-of-hell, and at other times, or perhaps in certain RPM ranges or ECU map conditions, it is close to my Upsolute in performance.

There appears to be more lag, which is understandable, considering the larger compressor/turbine setup sacrafices low end power with high end flow. However, I don't really understand the "holes" in the power delivery. Perhaps you need more tuning?

Not trying to drum up controversey, just stating observations. Nothing personal, Shank.
Dude, No offense taken. The Stage4GT goes numb at approx 5k RPM, and then takes off again. Your Upsolute program catches up during that Numb Zone. Feels like she's running lean uptop, but then it kicks in again, so I doubt its lack of fuel. Then again, Not too technical on that, but as I have stated, this is not 100% engineered. I am awaiting a prompt fix to this issue. Garrett Needs to get involved and look a little closer at his program. My previous Stage 4 program ran like a charm. I hope my Stage 4 GT program will.........real soon.

-Rs

ps: Let me know if you plan on coming to FL, I would like to videotape the 130mph waterpuddle road test, and see what thats all about.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:52 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
Here is the DYNO Chart and A/F ratio chart with boost:

Old 06-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2

ps: Let me know if you plan on coming to FL, I would like to videotape the 130mph waterpuddle road test, and see what thats all about.
Cool... I'll keep you posted. Going to the sporting goods store now to pick up snorkles and fins 'cause I'm not sure what's involved in the test... let me know if you want me to snag a set for you...

Old 06-25-2004, 08:07 AM
jcramair1 is infamous around these parts
J Cramair, My GT2 does not have a Race Gas program,however I use race gas out of safety. Keep in mind, anything about 600HP to the wheels is a potential "blown rod" problem.

I will fill the tank this weekend with Race Fuel and see if there is any difference in feel of the car.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Banned
Originally posted by jcramair1
I will fill the tank this weekend with Race Fuel and see if there is any difference in feel of the car.
If you really want to know the state of tune of your car, have your shop datalog the runs with regular and race gas.

You see, race gas (higher octane) in itself does not give you more power. In fact, in some cases, you may lose just a tiny bit.

The reason higher octane results in higher hp is because it allows your ECU to run more advance timing. The higher octane the gas is, the slower it burns, resulting in a slower-advancing flame front. This is why the engine is less likely to knock/ping when running higher octane fuel.

Have your shop datalog your timing advance parameters with regular gas. Then, go fill up on race gas, drive around so that the ECU gets a chance to re-learn, and then, do another datalog.

IF your hp readings stay the same, and your timing advance doesn't change, then your ECU mappings and parameters is in need of tuning.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:21 AM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
Todd-
I would still love to see the dyno charts you have on your Stage IVGT kit on 91 Octane. Hope you can post it soon.
Thx.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
... The Stage4GT goes numb at approx 5k RPM, and then takes off again.... I am awaiting a prompt fix to this issue. Garrett Needs to get involved and look a little closer at his program....

SHANK / Stephen / Tod / Garrett-> Is this still more of the same problems you have encountered with your GT2 setup, or is this something all Stage 4 GT owners need updated?

Mike

Old 06-27-2004, 08:20 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The Stage4GT goes numb at approx 5k RPM, and then takes off again.
Funny you noticed that. I get that same feeling. Almost like it's pulling timing or something. However, I'm running really rich too... and not boosting all that much (1.1/1.2). Could be the hot weather or some other problem with my car.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:32 AM
J.Moss is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by jcramair1
Here is the DYNO Chart and A/F ratio chart with boost:

I have taken a look at your charts and really see nothing wrong.

The dyno "Heartbreaker" at KTR has seen many cars that are copies of cars that I have worked on and dyno'd elsewhere. Let me say that the dyno there has some pretty mean numbers.

What I always tell my clients is not to worry about the numbers, but what are the improvements and loses vs whatever point you started at.

There is no realistic way to say that the dyno was operated incorrectly, or the wrong gear, weight ... From here. A full load dyno shows a very small difference from one gear to the other.

IMO a full load machine is much better at looking at tuning than an inerial type as the car experiences more load.

Have you spoken to KTR about your displeasure? I have always found them very responsive.

If you have any questions feel free to call or email.

Jeff

Old 06-27-2004, 09:58 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I _hate_ dynos lol:P

Old 06-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Banned
Hey Alex,

Your tip should dyno on a Mustang AWD dyno, as their front and rear rollers are mechanically linked. You know... just in case you are really interested in your numbers. I know all of us are!

Stephen

Old 06-28-2004, 12:54 AM
It'll dyno but just like at the shoot out where it freaked out... it doesn't want to hold gear. It upshifts and misbehaves at 4100rpms for some reason It's fine on the road and goes to redline but not on a dyno thus far...

The only way would be for me to find a dyno that'd let me be in the final gear and go way past 160mph lol:P I wonder if there are any like that?

Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
My car looses power at 5500 and then picks up again. This is a limitation of the engine with low octane fuel. If you use 100 octane and re-train the ECU, this will mostly disappear, unless you are running very high boost.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Zippy

SHANK / Stephen / Tod / Garrett-> Is this still more of the same problems you have encountered with your GT2 setup, or is this something all Stage 4 GT owners need updated?

Mike
That's not something that I have ever experienced with my car. I've put about 9 months and 4500 miles since the stege 4gt upgrade.

The only issue I have ever had is in very cold weather the car will spin all four wheels into third gear, which will cause the traction control to go a but crazy and cut power. But, turn it off and there is no issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results :( Stage 4GT