996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dyno Results :( Stage 4GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 02:19 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
Funny you noticed that. I get that same feeling. Almost like it's pulling timing or something. However, I'm running really rich too... and not boosting all that much (1.1/1.2). Could be the hot weather or some other problem with my car.
Sharky,

I've also never had any issue with hot weather. The car runs great when it's 110 or higher, which is about 3-4 months out of the year here. In fact, in the first two months of the stage 4gt upgrade, I don't think I ever saw ambient temps below 105 min.

It's back in that 110 range again and I still have no issues. No change in boost. The car feels slightly slower as I would expect. But, it runs fine. Just like the first day of the install.

Maybe the issues are more to do with various custom parts you guys are running? I went with the off the shelf 4gt package. I did not want to try anything that Todd hadn't already flogged himself for many miles for fear that even seemingly minor differences from the basic package could lead to problems what would require custom programming (which I didn't really want to get into).

Old 06-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
How can you spin all 4 wheels into third and not spin in 1st and 2nd? Could the clutch be slipping? A stock GT2 is nearly as fast and that does not spin even 2 wheels. My Ruf which does 128 MPH in the quarter will occasionally spin all 4 in 1st, very rarely in 2nd and never in 3rd.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Bill S
My car looses power at 5500 and then picks up again. This is a limitation of the engine with low octane fuel. If you use 100 octane and re-train the ECU, this will mostly disappear, unless you are running very high boost.
There might be something to this. I have always run a blend of 100 and 91. In the winter, I run 94. In the summer I run more like 95.5.

So, you guys are running the 91 octane program with the pump fuel right? As opposed to the 94 octane program?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by racer63
Sharky,

I've also never had any issue with hot weather. The car runs great when it's 110 or higher, which is about 3-4 months out of the year here. In fact, in the first two months of the stage 4gt upgrade, I don't think I ever saw ambient temps below 105 min.

It's back in that 110 range again and I still have no issues. No change in boost. The car feels slightly slower as I would expect. But, it runs fine. Just like the first day of the install.

Maybe the issues are more to do with various custom parts you guys are running? I went with the off the shelf 4gt package. I did not want to try anything that Todd hadn't already flogged himself for many miles for fear that even seemingly minor differences from the basic package could lead to problems what would require custom programming (which I didn't really want to get into).
That is correct. I do have a bit of a mish-mash of different parts. The big difference is the Turbos. I do at some point need to get fine-tuned for that if possible.... As it is I'm getting high 9 low 10 AFRs

Old 06-28-2004, 02:34 AM
How can you spin all 4 wheels into third and not spin in 1st and 2nd? Could the clutch be slipping? A stock GT2 is nearly as fast and that does not spin even 2 wheels. My Ruf which does 128 MPH in the quarter will occasionally spin all 4 in 1st, very rarely in 2nd and never in 3rd.
It was so cold out that day (for AZ that is) that I knew there was no point in running hard in 1st or 2nd. Just thought I'd try 3rd, but that didn't work out either. It was probably in the mid 30s that morning and it was still dark. In those conditions, the car can't put the power down in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I have never had any clutch problems. I upgraded the clutch at the same time as the 4gt was installed.

Also, the car will not spin the wheels in third in warmer weather. A slipping clutch would not be dependent on the ambient temps.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by sharkster
That is correct. I do have a bit of a mish-mash of different parts. The big difference is the Turbos. I do at some point need to get fine-tuned for that if possible.... As it is I'm getting high 9 low 10 AFRs
Wow, those are some whacky AFRs! I can see why you'd have some issues with bogging, etc.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by racer63
Wow, those are some whacky AFRs! I can see why you'd have some issues with bogging, etc.
Yeps those are some rich AFRs. Better to be rich than lean

Old 06-28-2004, 05:01 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
My car will spin in 3rd or wet roads. My PSM comes on every day when I hammer the throttle in second gear. I assume it is detecting a little spin. I think the RUF upgrade includes taller gears (?).

Mike

Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Dyno Dynamics are an Australian dynomometer. They read 17% less than US machines (a la Dynojet and Mustang). They also have a roller speed limit of 200 kph, so that's why you can't always use your 1:1 gear for the dyno pull.

Read here for a more detailed discussion about the 17% difference.

In the end, a dyno is only a very useful tuning tool. Bragging rights are a misuse and are not going to be apples to apples.