996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K16, K24, and Hybrid People - New Product For You

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
K16, K24, and Hybrid People - New Product For You

For those customers running the turbo kits from other tuners that use stock style hybrid turbos, we have listened to the requests and worked with AFI Turbo to release External Wastegate headers for the stock turbo fitment. All these companies offer great turbo upgrade options that MANY of you have. Some of you have suggested interest in upgrading from the internal wastegate setup to the external setup with Tial 44mm wastegates. Only to add on to your already dialed and happy setup, this is a new product to check out.

Feb. 21, 2008
"AFI Turbo has released their all new made in the USA stainless steel high flow headers for Tial 44mm External Wastegates. Engineered and designed to fit all 01-05 Porsche 996TT cars. The headers feature CNC machined 1/2 inch thick flanges with a "true merged" collector. V-Band clamp flanges are welded on the header and included dump tube for a clean and easy installation. The Wastegate tube is placed just off the side where proper exhaust flow will activate the Tial Wastegate without any boost creep. The headers are made from 8gauge 304 stainless steel. These headers fit stock style turbo configurations including: K16, K24, and other hybrid turbos. The turbos fit to the headers using factory hardware and gaskets. The kit includes hardware to block off and keep closed your factory internal actuator flap.

As tested by Vivid Racing on a K16 turbo car, these headers made approximately 40 ft/lbs of torque more then the stock style internal wastegates. By bypassing the exhaust system and dumping the exhaust gas straight out of the headers, a large amount of power is picked up.
Note: The factory boost solenoid cannot control external wastegates. You will need a boost controller or you can run the wastegate spring boost of about 1.0 bar. Tial Wastegates are supplied with .8bar springs."

Last edited by vividracing; 02-22-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Those headers def. look sexy!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Looks real nice

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
jt2
jt2 is infamous around these parts
40lb of torque? Nice!

How much noise do you get with the direct dump?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Damn those look nice! Keep up the good work!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
UGH i miss the sound of that crazy wastegate growl !!

also ,you would need a new tune with this ?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
05evo8gsr is infamous around these parts
WOW, i think that is one of the nastiest things i've heard in a while.
Those Manifolds look good!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
External wastegate can improve power/torque. When an internal wastegate opens its exhaust gases impede the flow of the turbine exhaust. This negative effect varies by design of course. In some systems it is negligible while in others it is significant. An external wastegate can eliminate interference with turbine exhaust flow as long as it enters the exhaust system far enough downstream of the turbine. In this design, it vents to atmosphere so the turbine does not have to share any of the exhaust system with the wastegate gas. This is race car stuff, the drawback being that it is not street legal for noise or emissions.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
External wastegate can improve power/torque. When an internal wastegate opens its exhaust gases impede the flow of the turbine exhaust. This negative effect varies by design of course. In some systems it is negligible while in others it is significant. An external wastegate can eliminate interference with turbine exhaust flow as long as it enters the exhaust system far enough downstream of the turbine. In this design, it vents to atmosphere so the turbine does not have to share any of the exhaust system with the wastegate gas. This is race car stuff, the drawback being that it is not street legal for noise or emissions.
If it's race car stuff... I've got to have it!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Evader is infamous around these parts
Awesome product offering!

My mod list priority just changed.

I went from internal to external gated dumps on my EVO and the change was definetly seat of the pants improvement.

I will be picking up a set of these soon.

Question:

Do you offer this as a comprehensive kit?

(Header gaskets, wastegates (looks like they are included), and any misc tubing/hardware)

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
so kevin what is your final verdict on this is issue , do external wastegates add power ?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
unvmym3,

I inquired about this on my Proto 700 package a while ago and I was told it would not make any difference in the performance of my car. I am far from an expert on wastegates, but my inclination is to agree with Kevin on this...

Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
kev, john thats what i thought also just wanted to make sure .... hey atelastthey sound cool when they open up.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Kevin you were mentioned in a positive way... I made sure of that. Never seen a proactive post towards us??? You want to test the product, no problem. Just like when I called you for a clutch for a customers car that referred me to you and you gave me retail, feel free and click that link to buy.

Everyone else here thank you for the comments. Any of us that have run Japanese cars knows what an external wastegate does. Like Roasterdoc said, when the factory internal wastegate flap opens, it opens RIGHT IN FRONT of the turbine wheel blocking exhaust flow. Again, this is just some old school concepts being brought in a new school way.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor
Sorry Evader, missed your Post, if you need the 4 bolt gasket, no problem. That is the kit as you see it. Uses factory bolts and nuts to attach to block and turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K16, K24, and Hybrid People - New Product For You