996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose? Why?
Toyo R888's?
27.78%
Michelin PS2's?
58.33%
Other. Why?
13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

R888's v. PS2's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I have used two sets of PS2's and really liked them. went with Toyo TR1's recently because they were cheaper....they feel cheaper imo. I agree that they don't feel as stable and I've lost some that connected feeling to the road. I'm going back to PS2s

Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 AM
YSS
YSS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Actually it was more comparing

-a good "street" tire for occasional track use
-something that will work in a 305 or larger for 18's
-something with "good" tread life

I found through a decent amount of research that the PS2 and R888 were pretty comparable (and highest ranking) within these respects. I've also heard (from a very reputable board member) that despite the R888 being an R-compound tire it lasts just as long or longer than a PS2.
I had a fantastic experience with 2 sets of P Zero Corsa (not corsa system) in 18's when i had my 996TT. 235/40 front and 315/30 rears.

i used that exactly as you propose.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Actually it was more comparing

-a good "street" tire for occasional track use
-something that will work in a 305 or larger for 18's
-something with "good" tread life

I found through a decent amount of research that the PS2 and R888 were pretty comparable (and highest ranking) within these respects. I've also heard (from a very reputable board member) that despite the R888 being an R-compound tire it lasts just as long or longer than a PS2.
There is a huge difference in performance of these tires on the track. Much less difference on the street unless standing water.
sounds like you going with the R888's may be your best option.
if you get 265 front and 335 rears and dont like them I will buy them off ya!!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Triss is infamous around these parts
Don´t use R-compound tires for street driving. It is totally unnecessary because you will not get the temperatures you need to get the advantage of the stickier compound and the threadwear is horrible when compared to a street tire. It is true that the R888´s last longer than most other R-compound tires but compared to PS2´s they will be over before you even brake in the Michelins..

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Not true, unless it's freezing cold and you're on a sport cup, you'll feel the added benefit of a R comp immediately, from the time you engage the clutch and roll forward.

Even under temperature, most r comps will have much better traction than a PS2 type of tire, except cups, they suck when they arent hot.

As far as street miles, yes, you'll get a lot more on the PS2's no doubt.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
There is a huge difference in performance of these tires on the track. Much less difference on the street unless standing water.
sounds like you going with the R888's may be your best option.
if you get 265 front and 335 rears and dont like them I will buy them off ya!!
That's true. 265 and 335's huh? I dont run enough camber for those sizes. But i will do Tom! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Triss
Don´t use R-compound tires for street driving. It is totally unnecessary because you will not get the temperatures you need to get the advantage of the stickier compound and the threadwear is horrible when compared to a street tire. It is true that the R888´s last longer than most other R-compound tires but compared to PS2´s they will be over before you even brake in the Michelins..
Like Heavy said, you will definitely feel the difference. I ran shaved RA-1s on the street and the performance, even on the street, was much better. Also to my knowledge the R888's last just as long or longer than the PS2's.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Carnerd are you talking track specific in terms of longevity?

I was under the impression that your treadwear rating is the life of the tires, and to be an R comp was directly related to having a certain (low) level of treadwear rating. Meaning it theoretically should be impossible for an R comp to last as long as a 220 rated PS2.

I may be wrong though.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Carnerd are you talking track specific in terms of longevity?

I was under the impression that your treadwear rating is the life of the tires, and to be an R comp was directly related to having a certain (low) level of treadwear rating. Meaning it theoretically should be impossible for an R comp to last as long as a 220 rated PS2.

I may be wrong though.
Heavy, in theory yes. But the UTQG tire ratings can often be optimistic and thus erroneous. As per tirerack info...

"Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires."

"The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is."

With this however, i do believe it to be optimistic that an R888 (UTQG 100) will last as long as a PS2 (UTQG 220), but it could be a lot closer than most would think. Certainly not twice as long, but i'm only going off what i've heard from someone who has used both.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Triss is infamous around these parts
Ok, of course you will feel the difference but that is more due to the stiffer sidewalls which gives a sharper feel and quicker turn-in. Regarding R888´s longevity on street they will last ~half as long as a ps2. I have run through maybe 20 sets of R-compound tires during the last 2 years (2000+ laps on track) and on street with a little inspired driving they will burn down FAST.
So my conclusion is that if you are not going to track the car more than 2 times during the longevity of the tires choose PS2 or similar...

Old 03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Triss, I somewhat agree, if you have a high hp TT, then I still say a NT-01 is a better tire even on the street for your car, and if you drag race or road race occasionally.

But if you are just a regular DD and occasional jolt on the highway, then yeah PS2's all the way for the large majority of people.

Carnerd, thanks for the explanation, very informative.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I was just going to post about the R888's. I picked up a set at Oulton Park RS Porsche trackday yesterday, and OH MY GOD they grip like CRAZY! My PZeros were on the way out, and the guy there gave me a hell of a deal so I said "why not". I'm still staggered at the difference it made, and how the car stuck through the corners.

Before fitting the tires I was getting eaten alive by the GT3's just leaving me for dead in the turns, and afterwards was sticking with some of the race-prepped ones by virtue of the improved traction and gobs more useable power.

In the wet, I can say with confidence that they are totally fine. The second half of the day was wet, and the TT handled fine. On the way home, it absolutely DUMPED rain for 150 of the 200mi, and although I was afraid at how the tires would do in standing water, the car did not hydroplane once - something I can't say for the PZeroes in similar conditions last year. And this was at highway speeds - 80mph+.

Treadwear rating is 100, which does not bode well, but since I use the car on weekends only and figure I'll go through a few sets of tires this summer, I'm not sweating it.

There is a lot more road noise, but my exhaust drones most of it out lol.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I guess if you daily drive then the R888's are probably not for you. If you're a weekend warrior however, just do it.