996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Concerned about B&M Short Shifter/Evo Shift Link Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Ray M is infamous around these parts
Question Concerned about B&M Short Shifter/Evo Shift Link Install

I had my B&M SS/Evo Shift Linkage installed a couple months ago after letting them sit in the garage for weeks on end.

I am concerned about the install for two reasons: 1. The shifting feel after the install is far more notchy than stock, contrary to many reports I have heard about the unit. 2. The shifter is not centered where it originally was stock. (the shop told me this was 'normal')

After paying to have these two DIY items installed, only to have the Evo linkage pull free from it's attachment point to the shift linkage 2 days later and needing to wait to have it fixed in a commuter parking lot, I am ready to tackle this myself.

Are there any adjustments I can make to the B&M unit for the 'notchiness', or will this be solved when the shifter is properly centered? What is the part number and price for the Porsche shifter centering tool? Is it difficult to use? Any other tips?

TIA,

Old 06-27-2004, 02:21 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
It sure sounds like it wasn't installed properly.

I would start by removing the center console and looking over the shifter very carefully.

I think the majority of Turbos have almost the exacy same number of threads inserted into the connectors, so search the Forum for some pictures and start by placing the left cable in the same location. Then I'd adjust the ShiftLink until each gear engages with the same shifter throw distance. Be sure to adjust the front hex screw until the shifter just springs to a position right under 3ed gear when released from full right in neutral. Make sure the allen screws are tight on the ShiftLink.

When installed and adjusted correctly, the B&M is a dream.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Dock, did you use the Evo piece also. I kind of wish I would not have used the Evo linkage to see if it would be less notchy with the stock linkage. The Evo linkage was definitely stiffer at the ball joint and seemed to put a more dramatic angle on the shifter cable at the shift cable lock down point (tha brass lock horse shoe lock down points) because it seemed longer than the factory linkage.

Mine is pretty notchy and is hard to put into first unless you are almost at a dead stop. The rest of the gears are okay, not great though.

I like the shifter throw distance, but not sure I like how notchy it seems. I wish it shifted as smoothly as the factory set up. The day after I installed mine, my car went to the dealer and I asked them to adjust it out and they said it seemed right on and that all of the short shifters they had felt were about the same as far as being notchy.

I did reset mine once right before I took it to the dealer. It seemed to shift better when I allowed the centered position be slight tilted to the right (only a very few degrees). When I had it where centered was straight up and down, it actually seemed more notchy when going into 5th and 6th so I tried to center more in relation to the shift pattern as opposed to straight up and down.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-27-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Doug H
Dock, did you use the Evo piece also. I kind of wish I would not have used the Evo linkage to see if it would be less notchy with the stock linkage.
Yes, I have the EVO ShiftLink. It doesn't make my shifter notchy at all, it just reduces the play in the shifter, and makes the stops at each gate more solid..all because of the plastic versus rubber mounting socket for the end of the shifter.

The Evo linkage was definitely stiffer at the ball joint and seemed to put a more dramatic angle on the shifter cable at the shift cable lock down point (tha brass lock horse shoe lock down points) because it seemed longer than the factory linkage.
There shouldn'r be any difference in angles. The cable should slide into the ShiftLink far enough so that the total distance front to back is the same OEM versus SkiftLink.

My B&M/ShiftLink is basicall as smooth as I could hope for. The pressure required to shift gears is basically the same between each gear, with just a little more pressure required for a rolling downshift to 1st (say a 20 mph 2-1 downshift). The shifter is like bolting a rifle...solid feel with rock hard gear stops... Just perfect.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I guess I screwed mine up.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Ray M is infamous around these parts
Dock, thanks for the info. I will look into it next week when I am home...

Old 06-27-2004, 07:29 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Ray - if you want meet up with Chris and check mine...mine is perfectly aligned since I took it out after forgetting to mark the cables, installed a stock shifter, marked cables, then reinstalled B&M...EVO shiftlink is in car but I never got to installing it...

Old 06-27-2004, 09:35 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
See my install gallery in my signiture for install tips on the EVO piece...When I put it in, I secured the shifter in the stock neutral position by using duct tape, so that when the cable is locked in the link with the allen screws the cable was not twisted in such a way that the shifter would be out of position from the stock position...

Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Mine is not that bad and I can live with it for now. Definitely don't feel like tearing the thing apart again. Do you guys in general find that the B&M with the Evo linkage shifts just as smoothly as the factory reglar shifter or is it a bit stiffer even when set up perfectly.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Do you guys in general find that the B&M with the Evo linkage shifts just as smoothly as the factory reglar shifter or is it a bit stiffer even when set up perfectly.
The B&M is stiffer.

Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:43 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Definitely a bit more effort is required to shift. But, I wouldn't say that it is stiffer. I haven't had any problems with it either in about 3,500 miles of city driving.

I think that the installation could be pretty tricky to get just right. I xould imagine that a good Porsche mechanic could get it right the first (or at least second) time. But, I sure wouldn't want to do it myself given the way the shifters in these cars attach (and the various adjustments that can be made). I insallted the short shifter on the M3 race car and that was much simpler in that there was basically nothing complex, no adjustments per se. But, the 996TT shifter install is pretty temperamental in my opinion.

With the right adjustments, I think you can get the feel to your liking. Talk to Mike at EVO about the install. He installed mine and, as I said, I have had no issues.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:47 AM
I noticed today that mines seems to be loosening up some. Maybe the Evo linkage ball joint just needed to get broken in good. I just have not been able to drive my car much since the install (maybe 200 miles).

Old 06-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by racer63
But, the 996TT shifter install is pretty temperamental in my opinion.

I did the installation myself, and the only thing I really adjusted was the allen screw in the front bearing to get the proper left/right play.

Overall, it's a very easy installation.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:58 AM
Maybe the Evo linkage ball joint just needed to get broken in good.
Do you know if the ball joint was lubed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Concerned about B&M Short Shifter/Evo Shift Link Install