996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercoolers.....EVOMS & RUF ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
ramone is infamous around these parts
Intercoolers.....EVOMS & RUF ???

Why doesn't EVOMS or RUF incorporate intercoolers into their "Performance Tuning Packages". Isn't this an important upgrade for both K16 as well as K24 cars? I know they offer sport intercoolers separately but it seems strange that they would not include them in their 500awhp and Plus Kits, with so much extra boost and heat running through the engine

I mean both the Turbo X50 and GT2 came stock with bigger intercoolers than the Turbo K16. And they are only running 50-80 more hp. Obviously Porsche thought it was imporant to upgrade the intercoolers for a reason. So it seems strange then that intercoolers would not be one of the very first mods that tuners offered to the K16 crowd even with just a chip, let alone 600 plus kits.

Am I missing something here.....????

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Evoms does... but it starts with the 700 HP package.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Would say a k24 car with basic bolt ons, headers, exhaust, intake benefit from upgraded intercoolers?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by daedalus
Would say a k24 car with basic bolt ons, headers, exhaust, intake benefit from upgraded intercoolers?
well if you live in a hot climate sure... otherwise not really.... the stock ones probably are still doing fine...

click to view

Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
^^ thanks Markski!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know the answer to my question ??????????

1) Are EVOMS and RUF not cooling their kits properly ?

or

2) Are stock K16/K24 intercoolers efficient enough to support high horse power kits (500,600,700 etc.) on their own? If this is the case, then why does the X50 and GT2 have a bigger/upgraded intercooler than the K16 when there is only a 60hp difference between them?

Something doesn't add up here....I would really like to here from some knowledgeable people on the board.....

Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ramone
Does anyone know the answer to my question ??????????

1) Are EVOMS and RUF not cooling their kits properly ?
or
2) Are stock K16/K24 intercoolers efficient enough to support high horse power kits (500,600,700 etc.) on their own? If this is the case, then why does the X50 and GT2 have a bigger/upgraded intercooler than the K16 when there is only a 60hp difference between them?
Something doesn't add up here....I would really like to here from some knowledgeable people on the board.....
I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable- I had stock, gt2, and now custom made ICs that I researched with the help of Protomotive....

I really do not want to pic on Evoms... nor RUF for that matter... but if you look at the link for the GT700 it is priced at $25900.... EXCLUDING ICs and other parts labels "product options" where the clubsport ICs fall in.
The other part NOT included is the bigger Y pipe with the bigger Throttle body.... if you add both of the options( much needed in my opinion)... your base non installed price goes up from $25900 to $31200...
In my opinion they do it for marketing reasons... I dont blame them... its wise... target, walmart, macy's, nordstroms,etc. all do it...
Other tuners get you up front... others add on from the back end... this is a business not a welfare organization... LOL
When you are negotiating I'm sure the options are strongly recommended... just like when you buy a new car and they are pushing the extended warranty on you...
Even lately with the release of the gt660 there are parts left out that in my opinion are much needed. Same goes with Vivid's Gt28 set up... it seems they are competing and just structure the pricing differently to make a kit more attractive..... again that is creative marketing....

To answer your question... anything over 550 rwhp in my opinion should have bar and plate Intercoolers vs the Porsche tube and fin.
With that said, I am not trying to point out any particular tuner... I was replying to the original post which referenced Evoms...
markski

click to view

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 02-27-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
"To answer your question... anything over 550 rwhp in my opinion should have bar and plate Intercoolers vs the Porsche tube and fin.
markski"

Plus 1...and the EVO IC's are excellent, they are what I have on my car. Giving you the IC's w/ their kits would cut into their profit, so they sell them extra.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable- I had stock, gt2, and now custom made ICs that I researched with the help of Protomotive....

I really do not want to pic on Evoms... nor RUF for that matter... but if you look at the link for the GT700 it is priced at $25900.... EXCLUDING ICs and other parts labels "product options" where the clubsport ICs fall in.
The other part NOT included is the bigger Y pipe with the bigger Throttle body.... if you add both of the options( much needed in my opinion)... your base non installed price goes up from $25900 to $31200...
In my opinion they do it for marketing reasons... I dont blame them... its wise... target, walmart, macy's, nordstroms,etc. all do it...
Other tuners get you up front... others add on from the back end... this is a business not a welfare organization... LOL
When you are negotiating I'm sure the options are strongly recommended... just like when you buy a new car and they are pushing the extended warranty on you...
Even lately with the release of the gt660 there are parts left out that in my opinion are much needed. Same goes with Vivid's Gt28 set up... it seems they are competing and just structure the pricing differently to make a kit more attractive..... again that is creative marketing....

To answer your question... anything over 550 rwhp in my opinion should have bar and plate Intercoolers vs the Porsche tube and fin.
With that said, I am not trying to point out any particular tuner... I was replying to the original post which referenced Evoms...
markski
Thanks for your honesty as always Markski. But what about those cars that have smaller stock intercoolers like the K16? Should you replace intercoolers at an earlier mark that 550awhp ? As in how big is the difference between K16 intercoolers and X50/Gt2 intercoolers in terms of safety margin and efficiency etc. ?

Thanks again

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ramone
Thanks for your honesty as always Markski. But what about those cars that have smaller stock intercoolers like the K16? Should you replace intercoolers at an earlier mark that 550awhp ? As in how big is the difference between K16 intercoolers and X50/Gt2 intercoolers in terms of safety margin and efficiency etc. ?

Thanks again
K16 base hybrids are fine on stock ICs... the GT2 IC is only 15% more efficient... or maybe only 5%- sorry it's late and I forgot LOL

click to view