996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Maxspeed superflow air intake - anyone using?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deandob
But I do think the exhaust is a worthwile upgrade, better than an airbox. You should have a close look at the DGI/Speedtech exhaust, PM John D, he has some interesting things to say about his exhaust.
I couldn't agree more. I 100% agree that I need an exhaust... I just need to find the right one. If I didn't have to worry about keeping the volume down, I'd have already bought a DGI. I think it's a great value. In fact, I may still buy one if I can get the wife to listen to one and agree that it sounds OK. Until then, though, I'm on the hunt for a Milltek.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
magnum22 is infamous around these parts
Hi, ran the stock air box back and the drone virtually not there....im also running the maxspeed exhaust rgds,

Magnum22,

Interesting feedback, thanks. The added drone is a problem for me, especially as you would think drone is more a function of the exhaust not the intake? Also I'm less interested in additional top end especially at the expense of the low end. I think Seal is on the right track, I should wait until I have done my 16g turbo, exhaust and flash mods (maybe with a better flow airfilter in the stock box).[/quote]

Old 03-02-2008, 12:37 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deandob
Hi Seal,

Your advice is probably right, it would be better to wait for a next phase of tuning once the 16g and flash have settled in, perhaps with just a better filter in the stock airbox.

But I do think the exhaust is a worthwile upgrade, better than an airbox. You should have a close look at the DGI/Speedtech exhaust, PM John D, he has some interesting things to say about his exhaust.
Definitely! The stock air box, for all intents and purposes, is designed well enough for cars north of 700bhp. GMG's WC-GT2, well over 700 bhp i believe, still uses the stock air box. They work very closely with Porsche Motorsport and both agree the stock air box is completely adequate. Trust me, if and when GMG needs a better one, they'll come out with it.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 AM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Interesting about the drone & the intake, definitely a no go for me. Looks like I'll be going the route of an upgraded filter and spend the $$ on the exhaust.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Throw a BMC in the stock airbox and maybe build a second air snorkle - good enough. Stay away from that Maxspeed contraption, it looks like it will suck in more hot air than ever, and as someone said above the filter element appears very small.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Yep.

I opened the hood (or is it the trunk in these cars - the engine bay) and can see that a second air snorkel on the left hand side should be pretty easy to fit, and will ram a lot more cold air into the stock airbox. Should be relatively easy to fabricate up, I'll go looking in some of the older rennlist posts as I recall this has been done previously.

I see a number of older posts about BMC vs K&N filters, what is the preferred filter now?

Another thought about the stock intake pipes after the air intake, these get pretty warm as the engine bay is so small, is it worth putting a layer of insulation around pipes to keep the engine bay heat from warming up the incoming and charged air? This mod has worked on other turbo cars - or am I just chasing shadows now and showing how clueless I am with this motor

Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
The best solution is to go with the Protomotive intake which relocates filters inside the fenders where the intercoolers sit. This gets rid of the airbox and plenium and all of the hoses, and the filters are basically stuck right on the turbos. You'll need their programming, Y-pipe, and Hitachi MAF to make it work.

Here you go for the 2nd snorkle idea. I's not as easy as you think, but a weekend project tops: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=111209

Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Just had a quick look through some old threads and have not found anything relevant about a snorkel, so thanks for the link.

Having the filters inside the fenders near the intercooler, wouldn't that block the flow of air to the intercooler, which means the charged air won't be as cool (which is not cool!).

I'm thinking a combination of an upgraded filter (BMC or K&N??), second snorkel, a cut in the stock airbox and a thin layer of heat insulation on the inlet pipes will make a difference.

But I wonder why Porsche did not add more holes in the black plastic sheath on the underside of the engine bootlid? Surely having the bootlid vents pushing more cold air into the motor (not just the airbox) is a good thing? Maybe because of rain?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Jimmer, reading through your thread about the 2nd snorkel, you don't comment if this mod makes a difference to the car either in driveability (throttle response) or power (especially in summer when this mod should help keep the inlet air cooler)?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 AM
No idea yet, I just did it a month ago. Will also try fitting one of these from GMG to help ram more cold air in there:

[IMG]http://www.gmgracing.com/images/gt3aircollector1big.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone know what a BMC does relative to a "new" OEM paper unit....real numbers.....

TIA

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Google is your friend. There are a zillion articles out there showing flow numbers for K&N/BMC versus a paper filter element.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
http://www.aptfast.com/KN_Additional...lter_facts.htm
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/paper.htm
http://www.summitracing.com/streetan...Page=15&ID=236

Last edited by jimmer23; 03-02-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
If someone wants to send me a BMC, I'd be happy to do before and after dyno runs and post the results.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. I have looked at those things over the years....and the text seems to be a boiler-plate for many. I like the engineering student's test. What I would really like is hard data. What is odd is that the foam...BMC is often called 'the worst" in these tests yet is what is used by F1 teams, many top tuners. etc. At the end of the day, I worry about dirt in the engine...so I probably will just change paper every 5-10k miles and suck up the "cost" ....

To a Ferrari or a Porsche racing team...they probably tear the engine down and such after a few races. Those of us who use these cars in rain/snow....5hp probably is not worth getting grit into the engine. Anyone who thinks there is not dirt going in...just look at a paper filter after 20-30k.....

What keeps coming up is that until you get to "MAD POWER" built engines, it probably doesn't matter that much. Jimmer23's mod is the best one by far IMHO. I'd pay him to make me one, fwiw. But that might be mostly for looks....as it might sound good but sound means "turbulence" and turbulence is less efficient in general than laminar flow.....

JB

Originally Posted by jimmer23

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Seal, it would be great if you could do a before / after test, especially with a 16g setup.

JCB, great post. The stock airbox from a volume area and flow perspective looks good. The stock paper filter also has a large volume area so should be at least reasonable.Forcing more cool air into the airbox ala Jimmer's mod to me (and I have an engineering background) to me looks like the the most effective mod without doing anything drastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maxspeed superflow air intake - anyone using?