996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Maxspeed superflow air intake - anyone using?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Maxspeed superflow air intake - anyone using?

Hi,

I've almost finished my research into the mods for my upcoming K16/16g upgrade. I'm looking into the air intake, not so much because it will give me increased HP, but because I'm looking to improve driveability (throttle response and early rpm torque) and I'd like the car to revv more willingly as the stock setup feels a bit constipated compared to my previous BMW M motor.

I have found the maxspeed superflow air intake, and it seems like a good alternative to the custom airboxes sold by other vendors and cheaper.
http://996turbo.blogspot.com/2007/09...ow-intake.html
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996ttintake.html

But no one on 6speed or rennlist have commented about this product, unless I have missed it in my searches. It seems like a good design but I'm a little sceptical about not having the filter completely enclosed, it only has a heat shield. I live in a subtropical climate so its important to keep the inlet air temps as low as possible, and I think the Vivid solution once the next version is available with the dual air intakes will provide a similar flow and lower air temps.

I will be upgrading the exhaust for a similar reason - not because of the extra HP but because a more free flowing exhaust will make the car drive better (earlier spool, better throttle / rev response). I have worked out that there is no need to upgrade the air intake / filter if the exhaust is left stock as the extra flow in the intake won't be beneficial due to the exhaust restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong with this theory.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Well, these comments are just from appearance and only testing will give you your answers, but it is extending the intake pipe by about 2 feet which in itself decreases flow. The heat sheild does less of a job than the stock airbox in reducing intake air exposure to engine heat. The air filter appears to have less surface area than stock. Other than that, it looks well made and the price is nice.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks roadster, sounds like the vivid solution would be better.

Am I on the right track about an upgraded airbox / filter improving the throttle response and make the car rev more freely (for a 600hp tune)?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deandob
Thanks roadster, sounds like the vivid solution would be better.

Am I on the right track about an upgraded airbox / filter improving the throttle response and make the car rev more freely (for a 600hp tune)?
Somewhat, but the most noticeable differences in throttle response will come via programming, exhaust and LWFW.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Somewhat, but the most noticeable differences in throttle response will come via programming, exhaust and LWFW.
I agree as well. We have played with my throttle response through tuning since installing the LW Clutch setup and there is a ton of room for improvement here. We actually had to slow things down because the driveline was too light at one point.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Carnerd, onelove

The airbox is not a large cost, even if it only helps a little the throttle response I'd be happy. For a similar reason I'm going to do the DIY header port, which would give a small incremental gain but the cost / effort is small. I agree the programming & exhaust have the biggest impact on the throttle response, but these smaller impact mods also add up.

I'm close to settling on the DGI exhaust with the agency power as an alternative, but need to decide if the extra drone is going to be a problem for me. I have tip and have to assume except for the Europipe quiet I'll get more drone, but I don't want to pay the price for the Europipe, and that a LW Clutch won't be much use to me

Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Carnerd, onelove

The airbox is not a large cost, even if it only helps a little the throttle response I'd be happy. For a similar reason I'm going to do the DIY header port, which would give a small incremental gain but the cost / effort is small. I agree the programming & exhaust have the biggest impact on the throttle response, but these smaller impact mods also add up.
In all honesty, i dont think an intake will give any noticeable throttle response, but i could be wrong (who gave you this info?). Porting the headers wont do much for throttle response either. If anything you'll see a quicker turbo spool (ie. less lag).

I'm close to settling on the DGI exhaust with the agency power as an alternative, but need to decide if the extra drone is going to be a problem for me. I have tip and have to assume except for the Europipe quiet I'll get more drone, but I don't want to pay the price for the Europipe, and that a LW Clutch won't be much use to me
Like i said earlier, there are not many on this board as renowned for thier customer service as Dan is. Give him a call. I guarantee he'll tell it like it is. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
I agree as well. We have played with my throttle response through tuning since installing the LW Clutch setup and there is a ton of room for improvement here. We actually had to slow things down because the driveline was too light at one point.
That's awesome. What programming do you run and who does your tuning?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
They refer to it as a cold air intake. I'm not sure where you get cold air under the hood of a hot engine. I'd pass.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Onetime, I agree, although the factory intake inlet is directly above the airfilter so would push cold air into the intake, probably mixing with the hot air in the engine bay, not ideal. Sealed and even insulated would be better.

In all honesty, i dont think an intake will give any noticeable throttle response, but i could be wrong (who gave you this info?). Porting the headers wont do much for throttle response either. If anything you'll see a quicker turbo spool (ie. less lag).
I gleaned the better throttle response from various earlier posts as well as the retailers write up on their web pages .

I suppose I mean better driveability around town, and from what I can make out from research is that both the airbox upgrade and header porting will make difference, but not appreciable. I'm happy to be told otherwise that I'm wasting my time/$$ at this power level.

For the airbox the theory is that I'll get cooler air into the engine (In my area temps are usually between 70 and 100 and humid for 1/2 the year) and better airflow, and from earlier turbo cars I have had this did make a difference to the torque and the car drove better so I assume it will also work with the 996tt as long as the standard bits can be improved on.

The ported factory headers will help the turbo lag and some improvement in driveability, this is pretty well documented on rennlist.

Like i said earlier, there are not many on this board as renowned for thier customer service as Dan is. Give him a call. I guarantee he'll tell it like it is. Good luck!
Yep - Dan provides excellence customer service, very quick with quotes and information.

Last edited by deandob; 03-01-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I have this set up and it works well for me, as for performance this as well as all the other things you plan all add up and work together for a better performing car.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks Tom. I think I'm just about done with the research and ready to start buying and wrenching. I note you live in a tropical area like me (Queensland, Australia) so you must have found a bit of an improvement with the vivid setup.

I have just posted more questions as well as a couple of ideas how to improve the vivid setup in Dan's intake thread. I'm waiting on the v2.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Deanbob,
I wish you could drive my setup. As onelove said, the tuning really made the throttle response and off idle pickup come alive. It was what I was most surprised by (aside from the raw power) after the tune. It is truly night and day. Wait until you've done the turbos and software and then see if you still perceive it to be a problem. I'm not convinced of the maxspeed intake (or any other, really) design and think that some of these setups may do more harm than good.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
magnum22 is infamous around these parts
Hi deanbob,

I bought one and used it. The power response was good from the mid and high end. I have not tuned my car yet so it was a direct straight out swap just to gauge the response. With the open pod air box, the drone increases quite a bit with the maxspeed exhaust. I also noticed the heat shield foam behind the actual heatshield coming apart as it was rubbing the Y pipe...Nello said it was supposed to lean up against it..but for some reason the adhesive he used didnt like the heat..Anyways you might have to do a simple adjustment to it when you install it to prevent it from leaning to tightly up against it. But bottom line...in my test was that the intake gave good mid to high end response (really good pull)..suffered a little on the low end...but all in all not bad for the price...and additional performance. Rem that my car is stock no tuning yet.....I didnt like the drone though so I changed back to the original airbox. Might put it back in after the tuning.

Hi,

I've almost finished my research into the mods for my upcoming K16/16g upgrade. I'm looking into the air intake, not so much because it will give me increased HP, but because I'm looking to improve driveability (throttle response and early rpm torque) and I'd like the car to revv more willingly as the stock setup feels a bit constipated compared to my previous BMW M motor.

I have found the maxspeed superflow air intake, and it seems like a good alternative to the custom airboxes sold by other vendors and cheaper.
http://996turbo.blogspot.com/2007/09...ow-intake.html
http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996ttintake.html

But no one on 6speed or rennlist have commented about this product, unless I have missed it in my searches. It seems like a good design but I'm a little sceptical about not having the filter completely enclosed, it only has a heat shield. I live in a subtropical climate so its important to keep the inlet air temps as low as possible, and I think the Vivid solution once the next version is available with the dual air intakes will provide a similar flow and lower air temps.

I will be upgrading the exhaust for a similar reason - not because of the extra HP but because a more free flowing exhaust will make the car drive better (earlier spool, better throttle / rev response). I have worked out that there is no need to upgrade the air intake / filter if the exhaust is left stock as the extra flow in the intake won't be beneficial due to the exhaust restrictions. Correct me if I'm wrong with this theory.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Seal,

I believe you, and why I'm going down the 16g path, especially as we have similar goals and approach to tuning (good power not crazy power, bang for buck). I hear you about the possibility of actually doing more harm than good.

Your advice is probably right, it would be better to wait for a next phase of tuning once the 16g and flash have settled in, perhaps with just a better filter in the stock airbox.

But I do think the exhaust is a worthwile upgrade, better than an airbox. You should have a close look at the DGI/Speedtech exhaust, PM John D, he has some interesting things to say about his exhaust.

Magnum22,

Interesting feedback, thanks. The added drone is a problem for me, especially as you would think drone is more a function of the exhaust not the intake? Also I'm less interested in additional top end especially at the expense of the low end. I think Seal is on the right track, I should wait until I have done my 16g turbo, exhaust and flash mods (maybe with a better flow airfilter in the stock box).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maxspeed superflow air intake - anyone using?