996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rotors - Who makes the lightest weight rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
The idea of the thread is to find lighter weight rotors to shed weight and have rotors with better cooling properties.

And spacers wont help with the Brembo BBK.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
And that has been covered already, Monoblock brembo, Stop Tech, PCCB or Pro Stop.

I'm asking the detailed questions.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Im sure you wont be replacing rotors like you would be replacing pads. Unless the rotors are of seriously low build quality, they should last just as long as the stockers. The purpose isnt to last longer, but for an increase in braking consistency and more fade resistance. Most the guys here are looking for a replacement rotor and not a full kit, and Brembo, Stoptech, etc... are not options for that.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Obviously if you're looking to reduce unsprung weight and improve heat dissipation it has something to do with doing some serious braking which usually happens on the road course.

If you track your car regularly and there is no significant change in stopping power from the rotors, the ultimate goal is fade resistance and longevity and these things wear out much faster on the track, hence the reason many want to deviate from drilled rotors because they crack so fast. Especially 4 pistons which can crack in one hard day at the track. So lasting as long as the stockers and paying much more is a waist IMO.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
I thought you meant lasting longer on mostly street driving. Yes, drilled rotors are more prone to crack, but Ive driven numerous cars with drilled rotors and pushed them hard and cracking doesnt happen often.

In the sense of the ProStops lasting longer on the track when really pushing the car, yes, in theory they should. If someone is really looking to track the car hard though, they arent going to be doing a simple rotor upgrade, but instead a full kit. Every customer car we have built for the road courses has used a big brake kit, and never a simple rotor upgrade, and its only the logical way to go.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
No response about replacement rotor cost and both heavychevy and I have asked.

Heavy- I am more interested in reducing unsprung weight than improving braking performance. I have had zero problems with fade using pagid yellows and Motul 600 (although I yes got cracks in new rotors after a single event). I can't justify a BB because I don't need the increased performance. If aluminum hat rotors offer 1) the same performance as stock and save me 7ish lbs per wheel and 2) replacement disks offer some savings over replacing stock rotors, then I (and most others here with stock brakes) will be buying them.

Group buy! Group buy! Group buy!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree if the price is right, but paying even an extra $500 per set of rotors or more for just 28 lbs is a costly investment. I doubt many would be up for that unless it at least added more resistance to cracking. I agree that the brakes are sufficient though, they just need to last longer, and in the case of the 4 piston not fade.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
So still no price on the rotor diskreplacement without the hats?

WTH!!?!?!?!?!? Do people not want to make money around here?

Would this also make replacement easier so you could just drop the caliper and replace the disk while leaving the rotor hat attached?

This is a PIB. I want to lose some weight!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Agree...should not be 1k per rotor......oem is 220ish.....

JB

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
I will agree with roadster doc that I am very interested in this for the weight reduction.

I find the current braking power adequate for the car, although i haven't tracked this car yet. Irrespective I would be willing to pay $500 extra to reduce the weight. To the extent that it has added heat dissapation properties - well that is just an added benefit.

Also the extent that you can just purchase the replacement discs for a reasonable cost, meaning somewhat equal to what an OEM rotor costs - that would ideal. To me it is a one-time upgrade cost and not a continual expense.

Also i don't undestand the about 7lbs per corner. I thought there wasn't significant benefit in changing the rears - meaning no weight loss benefit.

So DynamicMotoring, can we get a group buy together? Can you fill out the following pricing sheet.

Assuming 10 participate:

Front Rotors w/ hats: $_______
Replacement discs: $_______

Assuming 25 participate:

Front Rotors w/ hats: $_______
Replacement discs: $_______

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
sorry it was prostop not dynamic....

but i did call prostop. here is the information.

prostop did the original blueprint/design work. he doesn't sell many of these per year and is in a very niche market. he has shopped around for suppliers but is unable to find lower cost suppliers that can offer the product fabrication.

Likely cost if we ordered 10 of them would be $1,700.
The replacement discs are about $700 for a pair.

No reason to do the rear as you loose the e-brake and that would be a pretty strict racing application car.

so there's the data. at this point i think my interest is gone.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, my interest is gone at that price point too.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
BOXER4 is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, I might have missed something in the past few pages,and sorry to butt in,... but whats wrong with "Performance Friction" 2 piece OE replacement rotors....I see them advertised on the back cover of Excellence every month....their prices are reasonable at about $5xx per rotor.....here's a link I found...

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...ORSCHE-GT2-GT3

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually the PF rotors are for GT2 and GT3 so will not bolt on withou moification.

And judging by the site, they charge that price per rotor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors - Who makes the lightest weight rotors?