996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rotors - Who makes the lightest weight rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Rotors - Who makes the lightest weight rotors?

I am not sure if this has been discussed (coudn't find it) but does anyone know who makes the lightest rotor upgrades for the 996TT. The obvious answer (if money were no option) would be to upgrade to the PCCB brakes which I believe weigh half as much as the stock 996TT brakes. Ideally if there is an aftermarket company that makes two piece rotors with aluminum hats as a direct factory replacement this would be the cheapest option. I believe StopTech is working on a carbon fiber rotor replacement, but this will be in the neighborhood of +$10K I believe.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
ProStop Performance. Voice: 443-801-2533 these guys did but there website is gone. Dont knwo if they are sitll in business. Good luck.

S

Old 03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
any good two piece floating rotor will be lighter and run cooler than stock.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
yeap, and on avg two piece rotors are about 1/3 the weight of stock

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Noise, make dust, cost? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
I have yet to see anyone who makes a direct replacement rotor for Porsche. You could get a larger Porsche kit or a Brembo BBK, and those would be your best option.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i have a 2 piece stoptech kit all around..
slotted rotors.. aluminium hats
6 POT calipers up front
4 POT calipers in rear

355mm front
332mm rear

stops on a dime

Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
I have yet to see anyone who makes a direct replacement rotor for Porsche. You could get a larger Porsche kit or a Brembo BBK, and those would be your best option.
Yes, very odd. I think StopTech is working on a carbon ceramic but I don't know of anyone who makes a direct factory replacement. Larger brakes are nice, but if the goal is to simply save weight, it isn't the answer. I might have to hire someone to create a 2 piece rotor replacement. If the cost isn't too high I might even tried to get a ceramic rotor created. Any interest on this forum for a direct rotor replacement.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i have a 2 piece stoptech kit all around..
slotted rotors.. aluminium hats
6 POT calipers up front
4 POT calipers in rear

355mm front
332mm rear

stops on a dime

Just wondering do you know if these would fit under a stock hollow spoke 18" wheel??

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Yeah, this would be a sure moneymaker for an enterprising vendor.

Along with making armrest covers with Turbo script like the stupid-priced, un-obtainium Porsche one.........but sadly, not one wants the profit

Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
if you guys look up 2 piece rotors in the search you will see Pro Stop makes these rotors. Have any of you guys tried them on the phone. Im pretty sure Tom Kerr had a set or knows about these form the previous threads.

S

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
2 piece rotors are 2 grand a pair for the front. I just spoke to Steve at Pro Stop. You have two option Floating for race guys and one other kind I didnt understand. i think hell be on here to post himself with the options. good Luck guys. Pro Stop Performance in PA.

Suman

Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Highhats
2 piece rotors are 2 grand a pair for the front. I just spoke to Steve at Pro Stop. You have two option Floating for race guys and one other kind I didnt understand. i think hell be on here to post himself with the options. good Luck guys. Pro Stop Performance in PA.

Suman
Suman,
Thanks. I called the number but no one answered. Maybe they were out to lunch.. So is that $2K for the front and $2K for the rear?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
if you guys look up 2 piece rotors in the search you will see Pro Stop makes these rotors. Have any of you guys tried them on the phone. Im pretty sure Tom Kerr had a set or knows about these form the previous threads.

S

I think Pro Stop is the way to go I agree. I upgraded to the new 6 pot Brembos

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
ProStop Braking is infamous around these parts
Hi,

Yes, the two piece aluminum hat rotors are available. They are blueprinted from a new OE rotor. Exact dimensions and no need to relocate your calipers or buy new wheels as is the case with big brake kits.

They come in the fixed mount or floating mount for all out racing. The floating mount allows for the slight difference in expansion rates between aluminum and iron. They also introduce some noise or rattle as they do move slightly at slow speed. This certainly can be annoying to a user of a street car.

I recommend the fixed mount if the car is at all driven on the street. You get the weight savings w/o the aggrivation.

There are no rear rotors available. Why? The OE one's are smaller and therefore the weight savings are minimal. Additionally, you give up the E Brake. Not a good thing unless you don't mind seeing the car in a different spot when you return from the store.

$2k per pair for the fixed mount. $2200 for the floating mount.

Website is down as I've rec'd word from the tech guy's assistant. He's the guy normally carrying a hammer. We'll see what the problem is tomorrow.

443 801 2533. Yes I did have a call or two this afternoon, but was unavailable. Sorry. If needed, call tomorrow. I'm on east coast time.

Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors - Who makes the lightest weight rotors?