996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with the 3.8 L kit..Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
sopmethings iffy man! All these dynos I see form proto I think ahve been Flywheel numbers.
Suman
Well I dont know about the above dyno sheets but I do know Todd's dyno( I was there 2 months ago)and at that time it showed RWHP..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
sopmethings iffy man! All these dynos I see form proto I think ahve been Flywheel numbers. Cause Jamie made 715 on protos dyno yet last year in TX he made 630rwhp. thats a 13 per4cent differnece which would account for a rwhp flywheel hp change. That says to me that the numbers that were projected on scotts 1.43 bar was really 830 flywheel HP. Does anyone else see this? Scott or Markski or Bobby etc. Have you guys been on a dynojet or a mustang yet. I really would like to compare. If this is right and all these old numbers were flywheel then that explains how scott now makes 850rwhp which would be a graph of 960 on the dynapack flywheel meter. Sounds about right

Suman
Suman,

While there does appear to be some disparity in the numbers being quoted -- at least as it pertains to whether Rob's dyno numbers were rear wheel or fly wheel --I do think there has been a wholesale misrepresentation of dyno numbers by the Proto camp along the lines you are suggesting. I do not recall the specifics of the dyno graphs posted by Mark and Scott but, if they had been fly-wheel numbers, as opposed to rear wheel numbers, I belive Mark and Scott whould have said so, and the graphs likewise would have indicated as such. I suspect the primary reasons for the differences in Jamie's numbers are the type of dynos involved and the different weather conditions. Different dynos can produce dramatically different dyno numbers for the same car on the same day -- I suspect a difference of 10-15% is not unusual -- factor in all-wheel dynos versus rear wheel dynos and the differences are even greater -- perhaps 20+% variences. Likewise, differences in weather conditions can also dramatically affect the power generating by a car and the resulting dyno numbers. Again, I suspect 10-15% variences due to weather alone are common. There is a reason why the same car runs a MUCH faster quarter mile time and trap in the mid-west and east coat as compared to the dry, hot desert.

I don't know why Rob stated that his numbers were "RWHP" when, according to the dyno graphs, they were fly-wheel horsepower. I assume Rob simply made an honest mistake, and this mistake does not evidence a vast conspiracy by Proto to misrepresent dyno numbers.

That being said, it would be interesting to get some of these cars together on the same dynos, on the same days, so as to eliminate the huge variables and get accurate comparisons. Otherwise, a dyno number achieved on a four wheel dyno in 100 degree desert humitity cannot be compared to a two-wheel dyno run in 50 degree over cast weather (performance data is similarly affected by these variables). Rob is bringing his car to the Supra event. Hopefully he will post his rear wheel dyno numbers from that event.

Regards,

Craig

Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
My car was never dynod at Todd's place. It was dynod outside the protomotive shop... and mine was RWHP. When we tried it the clutch slipped at 18 psi. It would be interesting to see what it does....

click to view

Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Well I dont know about the above dyno sheets but I do know Todd's dyno( I was there 2 months ago)and at that time it showed RWHP..
Mark,

Rob's dyno graphs (dated March 10) clearly state "fly wheel" power and torque (notwithstanding Rob's statement that the numbers are "RWHP"). By the way, I assume Rob's dyno graphs were generated somewhere in Houston, as opposed to on Proto's dyno -- the graphs are dated March 10 (two days ago) -- hasn't his car been in Houston for a while? It appears that whomever performed the dyno run on Rob's car (presumably not Proto) elected to convert the raw rear wheel numbers to fly wheel numbers using some unknown, subjective conversion process predicated on a guess as to drive-trian loss. IMHO, such converted numbers are not particuarly useful, as compared to the actual rear wheel numbers. I'm sure you agree.

More importantly, whose dyno graph did you post above? Who is making over 900 rwhp? Details please. TIA.

Regards,

Craig

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
My car was never dynod at Todd's place. It was dynod outside the protomotive shop... and mine was RWHP. When we tried it the clutch slipped at 18 psi. It would be interesting to see what it does....
I assumed your numbers were rear wheel; hence my above post in response to Suman.

Craig

Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
I hear what your saying Craig. I guess for me I just have yet to see a protomotive HIHP car go on a dyno thats not proto's dynapack(no wheels on the car-hub dyno) and post yoru findings. If any of you guys can get a dyno sheet from a dynojet or mustang so I can compare it would be greatly appreciated ( you can pm it to me if you like). I'm still in the tuning phase so it give me a graph to study.

S

Last edited by Highhats; 03-12-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Craig
I assumed your numbers were rear wheel; hence my above post in response to Suman.

Craig
Understood.
I really have no idea who and what... I have not talked to Todd in a while... but todd usually does it in RWD ... just like he did that white 997tt that did 700 rwhp and just like he did Bobby's when we were there...
I guess the only person that would know is Todd himself.
mark

click to view

Old 03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow
So much drama over a dyno? I dont have all the dynos and I never requested to have any. I trust Todd's word, thus when he said I made 810 whp "safely" I dont have any reason to doubt him. Acutally, paraphrasing him "here is another Marski Motor", which is a huge compliment! Yes, I will be dynoing my car at the Supra Nats if they can do it safely under the watchful eyes of Todd. So, can we move beyound this drama and enjoy the cars for what they are worth? If Suman's car is done for the mile, maybe we can do a little midnight racing in mexico? It would be fun for certain.... we could do some Viper killing ;-)
Cheers
Robert

Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Be carefull with the Vipers,they have run times we can only dream of.....

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Hmmmmm, Mark that dyno sheet smells!!!!! Whats up with that TQ curve? I dunno....

Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Redirection, yes I think the kit was worth it!
Robert

Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
Quick question, VRAlex's 996TT, what work was actually done on it and what numbers was it putting out? Just curious.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
VR's 996TT,

the little that I know: (originally built by Protomotive, Todd and Cynthia)
1st 996TT ever to have twin water cooled Garrat GT35r turbos.
It also has some VERY fancy, expensive, "McKenzie Heads" along with
some other proprietary hardware that helps to make the motor very efficient.
He was the first person to realize, accomplish and make videos of a PORSCHE
doing many many street kills against cars, and motorcycles that one thought not
possible. In the original build form, it did well over 800 crank HP on Protomotive's
engine dyno. It was the unofficial KING of the Porsche world for years.
Prior to that car Proto had built him a 4.0 and a 3.8 ltr air cooled 993TT cars that
were VERY fast cars by anyone's judgement.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Suman
How is your car doing? Is the motor in the car? Can't Dan finish Dynoing it here in H town? You could rent out the Dyno or Dynos here in H town. Also, try to convince Tony to come on down! I would like to hear some of his thoughts about our motors.
Robert

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
I think 3.8's are a good idea if your car has moderate to high miles on it and the jugs are somewhat worn.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with the 3.8 L kit..Was it worth it?