996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with the 3.8 L kit..Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
^^^ ah, Spiderman, what do you know?
You have an old school air cooled Porsche!

See ya at Road America in July!

MK

Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by robmd99
Suman
How is your car doing? Is the motor in the car? Can't Dan finish Dynoing it here in H town? You could rent out the Dyno or Dynos here in H town. Also, try to convince Tony to come on down! I would like to hear some of his thoughts about our motors.
Robert

You dont think I want my car broken in in 2 days, like i would do it if the car was up here. Stephen has a certain way he does things so I have to follow them. Unfortunately his shop is constantly packed. Car is all back together and getting miles put on her I hope. Im still extremely worried about the fact that Protomotive suggested 60lb injectors to Stephen (which is nuts if u go to a injector calculator). I have 72lb injectors just sitting at Imagine Auto. Whatever, all I can do now is wait for the car to get on the mustang at IA. I mean at this point they just want to get my car out of there. The car can not leave till it makes Peak power on these turbos, for I need to push the motor to the max to make sure nothing pops. I dont want to have to dish out grands of loot to ship the car back and forth. when the car comes back here, I will put the new turbos on, the bigger injectors, and the new trans upgrades in the matter of 72 hours. I use ICSPERFORMANCE.com, Georgy is the man and makes **** happen fast. Cross your fingers for me. Once the car is done I have a shipper who will have it back in CT in 48 hours. You Rob should know better then anyone how im feeling at this moment. anxious! strained!

S

Last edited by Highhats; 03-13-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Sounds like a very sound plan^^^^.

Good luck and I remember Todd tellling me that the injectors perform better than
the size that they are rated at ??? You will soon know, I am sure.

Best,

Marty K.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Dude
You would not imagine how my nerves have been for the last 5 months!!! I felt like selling it and buying a lambo convert! But then again, I am never given up on anything; hence, I have waited and waited and finally it is almost finished. Now just more fuel... then different crank.. then 9,000 rpms!!! LOL Dude, I cant wait to compare our cars.. maybe we can learn from our two builds!
Good Luck
Robert

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I mean my car coming back from IA will be close to 800awhp make full boost by 3500rpms and still run unleaded and cats. LOL Im trying to have the fastest daily driving not so loud P car that murders opponents on the street(while enjoy the fruits of my stereo system). lol

I know you on the other hand are doing to your P car what I am doing to my evo(9 second beast).The only difference is when the evo breaks ****, it is 1/10th the price to fix. Rob make me a doctor and give me lots of money to pay off my mortgage so I can make my P car the race car it should be please... LOL

S

Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
What FPR are you using and yes you NEED to use those 72 lb injectors!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
4 bar. Again, I believe i should use the 5 but well see where the A/F is at when she gets on the dyno. Those injectors are good for 6 bar. 5 shouldnt be an issue. Plus I run a step colder plug.

S

Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I would love to see more fotos of you engine:-) Hey who did your Headers? What plugs are you using? What head stds? Your head gaskets, are they cut for a larger diameter? What MAF are you using and what position-low pressure or high pressure side?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Jamies car put down 661rwhp @ supranats last year.
Correct, at 1.4 bar with a poor fan setup. Todd dyno'd it 2 days earlier at 1.5 bar in cooler temps.

In my experience, Todd's hub dyno does read up to 5% higher than a well calibrated dynojet.

My dyno graphs from Proto also said flywheel...I don't think Todd set up the graphing software correctly.

Last edited by OhioGT2; 03-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 AM
You know there seems to be a ton of envious **** on this forum, from people who used to own turbos to those who wish they own a turbo. The way I see it, it does not matter if your only mod is a pair of street tires or a 100,000 dollar build, if you are happy with the changes then enough said.
Peace
Robert

Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by robmd99
You know there seems to be a ton of envious **** on this forum, from people who used to own turbos to those who wish they own a turbo. The way I see it, it does not matter if your only mod is a pair of street tires or a 100,000 dollar build, if you are happy with the changes then enough said.
Peace
Robert

Agreed but my concern is this stock FPR. I dont think I can handle 800awhp with out running a 5 bar which would be 770cc with the 60lb I believe. When i keep look over scotts old 830rwhp graph I cant help notice the rediculously steep climb come 7000rpms. I feel liek his fuel system is what reached its end way before his turbos. Everyone know you can run a turbo over 2 bar. How does the turbo loose its efficiency at 1.43 bar? Anyone help me please. is it just the nature of Proto to not boost above 1.5. This doesnt mean it cant be done. I was boosting 1.75 bar on my gt28 set up with no AFR issues. Also do all you guys run you cars at 12.4 afr I feel liek the leanest I want to run the car is 12 flat. Never ran a turbo car that hi but these porsches. I liek the mannerisms of Vivid/Softronic leaving the set up a bunch richer then what everyone is doing for safety.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
I was boosting 1.75 bar on my gt28 set up with no AFR issues. Also do all you guys run you cars at 12.4 afr I feel liek the leanest I want to run the car is 12 flat. Never ran a turbo car that hi but these porsches. I liek the mannerisms of Vivid/Softronic leaving the set up a bunch richer then what everyone is doing for safety.
Suman,

You can run more then 1.5 bars... but according to Todd the heads may start to lift among other things.... it is a aluminum block after all. yet using the best fuels available to keep everything cool I have seen seen stock motors handle 1.7 bars for short times.
I still have yet to try... but I probably never will. So just because I can keep my afrs constant at 12.1 does not mean that nothing will go wrong.
At high boost my P car does not see above 12.2s either... and if it does I turbo the boost down...
just my opinion,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
So why dont you up the fuel (5 bar or mapping) to run more boost and make more power. Obviously your motor can take the abuse? I bet with the 5 bar you can easily get another .2 bar out of the turbos while staying efficient. I still consider 12 afr hi regardless of race gas or not.

I did realize one thing...... since most of these tuens are running 12.4-5 no wonder these 60lb injectors are holding up. Most turbo car I see run between 10:7 and 11:6 and ways. With the full point difference thats alot of fuel not necessary(I will make necessary on my setup). So a 150bhp 60lb injector on a p car is a 175bhp injector. 175x6=1050bhp. I will run mine a bunch rich. So I think after tuning is done Ill throw a 5 bar in there for added insurance.

S

S

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Suman,

You can run more then 1.5 bars... but according to Todd the heads may start to lift among other things.... it is a aluminum block after all. yet using the best fuels available to keep everything cool I have seen seen stock motors handle 1.7 bars for short times.
I still have yet to try... but I probably never will. So just because I can keep my afrs constant at 12.1 does not mean that nothing will go wrong.
At high boost my P car does not see above 12.2s either... and if it does I turbo the boost down...
just my opinion,
markski

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Correct me if I am wrong, but I though the target A/F number should be approx 11:7( WOT ) with no knock off course.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
So why dont you up the fuel (5 bar or mapping) to run more boost and make more power. Obviously your motor can take the abuse? I bet with the 5 bar you can easily get another .2 bar out of the turbos while staying efficient. I still consider 12 afr hi regardless of race gas or not.

S
I have a regulated one so I can adjust to whatever... I recall Knighton going back and forth on my fuel... it was some project... I really think that the issue is far above just using a 5 bar ... I have enough volume and pressure...
My evo at race C16 with 30+ psi will never see 12s... I loose HP but keeps the motor last longer. Its a fine line between HP and safety....
With that said, just to throw it in.... my car does not like C 16... according to Todd it prefers a mix of C16 with 110... kinda weird... but then I am no expert so who knows....
What is a car is set up for 12.4s and the electronics show all green and zero knock? does that mean its unsafe? IDK? I recall FVD, and GIAC both in my car had above 12s afrs....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with the 3.8 L kit..Was it worth it?