996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with the 3.8 L kit..Was it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Craig
Rob,

I think I may mave misunderstand your prior response to my question regarding whether the numbers you posted were rear wheel numbers or fly-wheel numbers. When you responded that the numbers are "RWHP" (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&postcount=32), I understood that to mean rear wheel horse power (hence the acronym "RWHP"). However, the posted dynos expressly state that they are setting forth "flywheel horsepower" (still very impressive numbers).
Craig

That is what all standard Dynapack graphs say, however it is in fact the hp generated at the wheels.

From my understanding, the reason Dynapack puts this on their graphs, is because the Dynapack pods do actually have a small flywheel inside each pod, which is how the eddy current load is applied to the hubs. Since the wheels are removed, and since you aren't spinning a set of rollers (like on a Dynojet or Mustand dyno), Dynapack uses the term "flywheel horsepower" since "rear wheel HP" isn't exactly accurate either.

With the wheels removed, there is a bit less rotational mass, which could be helping out the power numbers a bit compared to a Dynojet. The Dynapacks I have worked with have also been a few percent higher then a typical Dynojet, but nothing to cry foul about since all dynos vary somewhat anyway.

Last edited by Brett B; 03-14-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Case Closed!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Case Closed!
Hey makes me happier. Allows me to hope for BIG POWER lol.

S

Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brett B
That is what all standard Dynapack graphs say, however it is in fact the hp generated at the wheels.

From my understanding, the reason Dynapack puts this on their graphs, is because the Dynapack pods do actually have a small flywheel inside each pod, which is how the eddy current load is applied to the hubs. Since the wheels are removed, and since you aren't spinning a set of rollers (like on a Dynojet or Mustand dyno), Dynapack uses the term "flywheel horsepower" since "rear wheel HP" isn't exactly accurate either.

With the wheels removed, there is a bit less rotational mass, which could be helping out the power numbers a bit compared to a Dynojet. The Dynapacks I have worked with have also been a few percent higher then a typical Dynojet, but nothing to cry foul about since all dynos vary somewhat anyway.
Thank you very much.
Peace

Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
Rob,
I am informed that Scott is making around 850 rwhp with his new GT35 turbos.
If you're talking about me, your information is totally incorrect. My car hasn't even been dyno'd yet.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Highhats
I hear what your saying Craig. I guess for me I just have yet to see a protomotive HIHP car go on a dyno thats not proto's dynapack(no wheels on the car-hub dyno) and post yoru findings. If any of you guys can get a dyno sheet from a dynojet or mustang so I can compare it would be greatly appreciated ( you can pm it to me if you like). I'm still in the tuning phase so it give me a graph to study.

S
For clarification; all Proto dyno #'s reflect REAR-WHEEL HP measured from the rear hubs of the car. My car, Marty's, Jamie's, Mark's...all rwhp. Not flywheel.

As I posted in this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=dyno+spinning; I attemped to dyno my car at a local shop here after I got it back with my GT30's, but it kept spinning on the dyno.

But in all honesty, once I trapped 148 mph while weighing over 3500 lbs, I decided dyno numbers didn't matter.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
But in all honesty, once I trapped 148 mph while weighing over 3500 lbs, I decided dyno numbers didn't matter.
Amen!!!

Craig

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott
I was hoping to meet you this year! It would be nice to put a face with the car LOL
Robert