996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

slight stuttering during idle...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
slight stuttering during idle...any thoughts?

I recently changed my spark plugs (FR6) and have noticed a very slight stutter in the exhaust note during idle. It almost has a very faint popping sound every now and then...sounds pretty cool...however I have no idea what it is? The car runs fine and there is no indication while cruising around, etc. The engine revs nice and smooth...it's just during idle when you can hear the faint popping sound. It's off and on.... sort of like... hummmmmmmmmmmmm...poppopopop.......hummmmmmmm....p opop...hummmmmmmm, etc. LOL!

Might this be a characteristic of the Fabspeed Super Sport exhaust? Or im wondering if there could be a very small air leak from where the cats hook up to the mufflers (fabspeed super sport). I have those vclamps cranked down, so I doubt it.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Just want to add....

I installed the mufflers (from straight pipes) after the spark plug change and that's the first thing I noticed. Before I had a custom fab exhaust (ver8) and never heard that popping/backfire.....

Remind you...this is during idle...not while driving around and letting off the throttle...as I know the backfiring/gurgle is common with aftermarket exhausts.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Heya Bill,

All of my exhausts (not the ver 8) did/do that. I kinda like it too lol... Are you tips nice and black?

Old 07-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sharkster
Heya Bill,

All of my exhausts (not the ver 8) did/do that. I kinda like it too lol... Are you tips nice and black?
Nice and Black. Im not running as rich as you...but I get my fair share of black deposits all over the place! LOL!

Thanks for confirming above...

Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ruiner
Well, if you changed your plugs, you should have (should) check and double check that you have them all gapped properly.
I heard that the ones that come directly from porsche are gapped correctly?

In any event, I would assume that if they were not properly gapped, the car would be running like crap. I dont have any problems with performance...just the very faint stutter at idle. This is a new exhaust (new as in recently changed), so Im not that familar with the sound at idle.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 PM
jim
jim is infamous around these parts
mine is 3 months old and has done this from the start; never thought much of it

Old 07-01-2004, 11:44 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Stock idle should be rock steady at 780 rpm. If it occasionally wavers ( dips to 700 and quickly recovers ) you have a misfire. Stock plugs can come with wrong gap if the plug were dropped at install or manufacturing - ask me how I know . Perhaps one of your ignition coils is not " snug" after the plug change. :

Old 07-06-2004, 05:52 AM
I believe it could be a slight misfire....however, performance does not seem to be affected at all?

What are the consequences of not addressing this "slight misfire" if any? I really dont want to reinstall the plugs again, however, if it's a must, i guess I have no choice.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:22 AM
hkj
hkj is infamous around these parts
I had the exact same problem on my 02tt. Took it to the dealer, who originally thought it was defective coils. They replaced all the coils, but the problem was still present. They next replaced all the spark plugs and now the car is running fine.

I had a similar problem on my Cayenne Turbo. I had installed an aftermarket exhaust and the car ran better than normal. After a few weeks, the car was not smooth at idle; always a little variance. Took the car to the dealer who had it for one full week and stated it was because of the aftermarket exhaust. Removed the exhaust and now the car runs perfect again. However, the exhaust was installed on a friend's Cayenne Turbo and he's never had a problem. Go figure...........