996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

889 rwhp/776 rwtq @ 1.6 BAR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
There is a new Dyno King!
Great numbers
Robert

Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Whose 3.4L 80mm ?
Justin just told me about it - local Tx guy who's been around the scene I guess for awhile - I forget his name. Dyno'd very strong the other day.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
There will be a Red Supra that should dyno close to 1400 (!!!).

Nonetheless, I am more interested in Scott's car.

Are you doing TWS, Scott?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
I just love HUGE dyno #'s.

The 1400hp Supra should be good for.... errrr..... 20 min or less at that boost level.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
I just love HUGE dyno #'s.

The 1400hp Supra should be good for.... errrr..... 20 min or less at that boost level.
And that's good for about 150 1/4 mile runs....

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
Any vids of this beast in action?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
150 Runs

Originally Posted by OhioGT2
And that's good for about 150 1/4 mile runs....
Great Scott! That's a grocery getter if I've ever heard of one! I'd guess that if you're drag racing that car, it's good for 10 runs before the bottom comes out and the pistons are finished.

Seriously though, unless this turns into "Drag Times" magazine, it'd be good to consider that at around 550WHP/600WTQ (Your basic 700 Kit) that you're running @ about 200hp per liter.

Figuring that you will likely not run it close to that output all of the time, you're likely to get 70,000 miles from that build (assuming a fresh motor + rods to begin with) because it's likely you're not running at 1.4BAR all of the time.

There are very good formulas for this which I am trying to dig up, just to see what, truly, you could get in terms of wear and tear on a 700hp daily driver. If it's reasonable to see 100K miles on a stock turbo, which we have all seen evidence of, then perhaps it would follow that the GT700 cars would be capable (with 60% more final output) of lasting for 70,000 miles.

Consider the luxury of having that kind of power, all of the time, and KNOWING that it's going to last and last and last. To me that's REAL engineering. We're all aware that you can run boost until the motor blows and whatever that HP number was, well, it really "WAS" because, just like the Looney Tunes trick of swallowing gasoline + nitroglycerin, then jumping up and down right before lighting your cigar.... You can only do that trick once.

I'll try to leave the cement filled Supras for someone else.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Actually the owner of that car doesn't even drive it. Other people do. He is just so rich that he will drop hundreds of thousands of dollars just for bragging rights.

And Speed, you cant beat the iron block GTZ Supra for reliability and max power output.

The Porsche is the best all around car (if you factor in road racing) but for big power the GTZ is King especially for its displacement. It will run 20 PSI all day.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Is it one of Ross Bairds cars? He has a few Supras and I believe one of them was a clean 3.4L/80 6SPD (along with a wild low mileage 97 Auto I sold him a few years back).

Speed -

20-25K into a Supra engine, no cement needed will get you reliable 1,100HP, 1450HP track power if you prefer.

When you see the White one out there shifting to 8.5Xs and then driving around to the street races, highway drags, etc it might change your mind. They're quite reliable as 800HP can be done reliably without taking the valve covers off.

-Wes

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Jesus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by onelove

Speed -

20-25K into a Supra engine, no cement needed will get you reliable 1,100HP, 1450HP track power if you prefer.

When you see the White one out there shifting to 8.5Xs and then driving around to the street races, highway drags, etc it might change your mind. They're quite reliable as 800HP can be done reliably without taking the valve covers off.

-Wes
+1 Yeah...that crazy white one...

Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Great Scott! That's a grocery getter if I've ever heard of one! I'd guess that if you're drag racing that car, it's good for 10 runs before the bottom comes out and the pistons are finished.

Seriously though, unless this turns into "Drag Times" magazine, it'd be good to consider that at around 550WHP/600WTQ (Your basic 700 Kit) that you're running @ about 200hp per liter.

Figuring that you will likely not run it close to that output all of the time, you're likely to get 70,000 miles from that build (assuming a fresh motor + rods to begin with) because it's likely you're not running at 1.4BAR all of the time.

There are very good formulas for this which I am trying to dig up, just to see what, truly, you could get in terms of wear and tear on a 700hp daily driver. If it's reasonable to see 100K miles on a stock turbo, which we have all seen evidence of, then perhaps it would follow that the GT700 cars would be capable (with 60% more final output) of lasting for 70,000 miles.

Consider the luxury of having that kind of power, all of the time, and KNOWING that it's going to last and last and last. To me that's REAL engineering. We're all aware that you can run boost until the motor blows and whatever that HP number was, well, it really "WAS" because, just like the Looney Tunes trick of swallowing gasoline + nitroglycerin, then jumping up and down right before lighting your cigar.... You can only do that trick once.

I'll try to leave the cement filled Supras for someone else.
I love posts that try to estimate engine longevity at these type of hp levels....there is no way you or anyone else can estimate a percentage formula like you're stating....

But I'd love to take an equally high hp, equally built 996 and Supra (600/700/800/900 your choice) and run them ***** to the wall and see which one fails first.

PS, and my name isn't Scott

Old 03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
I
But I'd love to take an equally high hp, equally built 996 and Supra (600/700/800/900 your choice) and run them ***** to the wall and see which one fails first.
I would like to see a equal HP 996TT and a equal HP Supra go from a roll...
Both cars maxed out -not tuned down... both with similar weight and RWD on similar tires.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I would like to see a equal HP 996TT and a equal HP Supra go from a roll...
Both cars maxed out -not tuned down... both with similar weight and RWD on similar tires.
markski
I wouldn't.. It'll be worse than the GTR vs TT/GT3 threads. Let the wookie win

Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Wonder where the parachute is gonna go..

Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
I wouldn't.. It'll be worse than the GTR vs TT/GT3 threads. Let the wookie win
Now don't be busting on the GTR....beauty is within

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.