996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

More MAF fun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
wstsdphisg is infamous around these parts
More MAF fun

Hey Guys,

I got the dreaded MAF Trio (PSM, ABS and Check Engine) indicators all going off at the same time. I took it into the dealer they said bad MAF.

I did some research on bad MAFs and saw how easy it is to do-it-yourself. So I took a shot at it. Bought the Torx screwdrivers including T-20 got my can of electrostatic non-residue cleaner etc. but now I ran into a problem and need some advice.

When I tried to use the T-20 to unscrew the screws on each side of the MAF it was too big, it won't fit in the groove. (Is there a problem here? It seems like the T-20 is the right size for everyone else)

I tried the next size down (T-15) and its too small. Just for fun I tried a hex key where I did find one that fit, but the diameter is so small I think I'm going to bend the key before I can loosen the screw.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? There is a bit of rust I think on the head of the screw/bolt. Do I need to go find a T-18?

Also one more thing its weird when you look at the screw it looks like a hex pattern (Hexagon) not a Torx (star). I've got the vflow from evo. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Best,

Jake

Thanks

Last edited by wstsdphisg; 03-20-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Yes, you need a security torx bit.

Since you said you have a vflow, EVOMS includes a security torx bit in the box when they ship it, so I would check to see if it is still in the box.

If you can't find it, Sears usually carries the security bits.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
On other cars I just grab the screw head with a pliers... or dremel a slot into it!

Heck, you can replace the screw with a nice new one later if you want...

A

Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
After a two more trips to home depot it turns out when they installed my Vflow they must have changed the screws from Torx to standard hex pattern screw. I ended up picking up a set of hex bits and it did the trick. Thanks for everyones input.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:47 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I have a VFlow and I got the same thing today, PSM, ABS and check engine light coming up Hwy 1 into Monterey. Went straight to the dealer and they replaced the MAF. The MAF cost me $630. But I did learn how to install it. Sheesh. Is there a place to buy these things for less than $600? Also, how often should the filter in the VFlow be replaced/cleaned?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
get for less at neillo porsche plus a 10 % discount if you are a pca menber...

Old 03-21-2008, 08:30 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
opps they are in rocklin ca ... east of sacramento ca

Old 03-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I bought a new MAF online for about $250 off ebay. Waiting for delivery, I'll let you know if everything works out. I agree though I need directions on how to pull the vflow filter off and clean it. I assume its just a loosening of the clamp and pulling it off, but when I looked at the spacing it seemed pretty tight. I'm guessing you can clean it like the B&M filter with just soap and water. Any one clean their vflow?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Holy mother of god!! I didnt know that it MAFs cost that much ... I was under the impression that it was in the $200 - 300 range ...

Which dealer took your money?

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
I have a VFlow and I got the same thing today, PSM, ABS and check engine light coming up Hwy 1 into Monterey. Went straight to the dealer and they replaced the MAF. The MAF cost me $630. But I did learn how to install it. Sheesh. Is there a place to buy these things for less than $600? Also, how often should the filter in the VFlow be replaced/cleaned?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Your need a new dealer.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I've heard of bending over backwards, but you bent over forwards...lose the V-flow if you want to stop blowing MAFs.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Holy mother of god!! I didnt know that it MAFs cost that much ... I was under the impression that it was in the $200 - 300 range ...

Which dealer took your money?
Actually it was $630.00. Monterey, CA

Old 06-17-2008, 07:42 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by wstsdphisg
I bought a new MAF online for about $250 off ebay. Waiting for delivery, I'll let you know if everything works out. I agree though I need directions on how to pull the vflow filter off and clean it. I assume its just a loosening of the clamp and pulling it off, but when I looked at the spacing it seemed pretty tight. I'm guessing you can clean it like the B&M filter with just soap and water. Any one clean their vflow?
when you changed/cleaned the MAF did you disconnect the battery?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by judgejonathan
when you changed/cleaned the MAF did you disconnect the battery?
I've disconnected many MAFs, changed them, cleaned them...never disconnected the battery. Just disconnected and reconnedcted on the turbo and no problems. With the engine off, the DME is not powering the MAFs so no worries.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi... Sent you a PM.....Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More MAF fun