996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Getting to 600hp - questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
K24 super laggy

LOL

Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Depends what 600HP means to you. How are you going to quantify that actual number. What I have learned from TX is what your dyno reads does not mean crap. As far as the K16/16G, I still am going to have to down play that setup. Garrett ball bearing turbos with great tuning and all the bolt ons you can think of to make the car rip and I can make 570 on race gas but a 16G wheel that we use on WRX's and an exhaust can make 500awhp on pump... gonna have to doubt it still. It is causing way to many issues for consumers. What happens when they start upgrading the turbos and sending their ECU in for a flash and dont get "600"??? If you want 600 HP at the crank, it is proven to go with the K24/18G or our 650 kit for the best quality, accurate, true performance that is streetable and on the track.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Go 16/16g if you want better driveability and 16/24 if you want better top end.

IMO the 16/16 has a great midrange but runs out of puff. Makes for a great driver and the price is definitely right no doubt.

Butt dyno says K24 makes better power up top than both of the above.

24/18G starts to tax the fuel system and can pop your motor in the wrong hands with a boost controller. Especially with lower octane gas.

Some of you guys (not the tuners) are starting to get a little carried away with your bench racing. I'm not sure the stock fuel system can handle 500 AWHP. Period.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Gary Church is infamous around these parts
If you want big reliable smooth horsepower throughout the rpm range, be prepared for big bucks. About 550 seems to be the limit with tweaking the stock 996 tt. Want more you got to get into the engine, fuel systems, turbos and ECUs. Lots of "tuners" unrealistically claim big hp (600+) that don't dyno out or are so peaky they're very undriveable. Also, it is very very had to tune to high horsepower (800+) and keep tractability at moderately low rpms regardless of price. Don't you think there's a reason the Ruf, 9ff, Sportec and others charge $40,000+ for 600hp-700hp?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I beg you to speak to Pauliewalnuts for he just had a 24/18 kit put on during the Tx2k8. Just ask him about his kit.
Robert

Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
the EPL k16/16g kit seems to have proven great results on the dyno on cars with both stock exhaust and after market exhaust. They also show the fastest spool of the kits in a similar power range and some will argue its a more drivable kit as well.

From a cost perspective its also the most bang for the buck.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
There has been 1 dyno sheet shown. Explain proven? Not to hate here, but I would feel bad for misrepresentation of "600" hp. I am all about alternative solutions as I have brought them to 6speed. I in fact was to do the K16/16G mass market first, just did not have time. Bottom line is an exhaust, flash, diverter valves, and upgraded tiny k16 will not make 600crank on pump gas.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vividracing
There has been 1 dyno sheet shown. Explain proven? Not to hate here, but I would feel bad for misrepresentation of "600" hp. I am all about alternative solutions as I have brought them to 6speed. I in fact was to do the K16/16G mass market first, just did not have time. Bottom line is an exhaust, flash, diverter valves, and upgraded tiny k16 will not make 600crank on pump gas.
I beg to differ. I'm also starting to get insulted at the insinuation that I am somehow falsifying my results or secretly using race gas.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gary Church
If you want big reliable smooth horsepower throughout the rpm range, be prepared for big bucks. About 550 seems to be the limit with tweaking the stock 996 tt. Want more you got to get into the engine, fuel systems, turbos and ECUs. Lots of "tuners" unrealistically claim big hp (600+) that don't dyno out or are so peaky they're very undriveable. Also, it is very very had to tune to high horsepower (800+) and keep tractability at moderately low rpms regardless of price. Don't you think there's a reason the Ruf, 9ff, Sportec and others charge $40,000+ for 600hp-700hp?
+1 ;-)

Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
From what I've read the main options are:

1) Hybrid 16/16G Turbos - in this case the GIAC flash would be essentially a throwaway something else would be needed, correct? What sort of flash should be used in its place?

2) Hybrid 16/24G Turbos - presumably can upgrade GIAC flash so in this case it won't be a throwaway??

3) K24 Turbos - probably the most straightforward, but perhaps the costliest? Can pay $1K to get the GIAC upgrade, but would have the cost of the Turbos

In all of these options would you recommend upgraded hoses, Diverter Valves ... anything else?

Last edited by dreamtripper; 04-08-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
From what I've read my main options are:

1) Hybrid 16/16G Turbos - in this case my GIAC flash would be essentially a throwaway and I'd need something else, correct? What sort of flash would I need in its place?
for what its worth, chipped/flashed ECUs have resale value

Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
How would that work?

Last edited by dreamtripper; 04-08-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
Depends what 600HP means to you. How are you going to quantify that actual number. What I have learned from TX is what your dyno reads does not mean crap. As far as the K16/16G, I still am going to have to down play that setup. ... gonna have to doubt it still. It is causing way to many issues for consumers. What happens when they start upgrading the turbos and sending their ECU in for a flash and dont get "600"???
Sort of says it all-- those that continue to post supporting package and attack those that question-- even very mildly -- are doing us all a disservice .This guy is selling this package and questioning the claims.Get some more independent data that is credible and stop trying to beat people into submission . Get rid of the chip on the shoulder.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
pcar993 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Red 9
Sort of says it all-- those that continue to post supporting package and attack those that question-- even very mildly -- are doing us all a disservice .This guy is selling this package and questioning the claims.Get some more independent data that is credible and stop trying to beat people into submission . Get rid of the chip on the shoulder.
+1