996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Accel Junky is infamous around these parts
Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?

First of all, hello! I've been lurking through many, many threads here and on Rennlist.

E39 M5 or 996TT?

These may seem like odd cars to compare, but I've narrowed it down to these; stay with me here.Both are awesome, highly regarded machines that have depreciated the majority of what they will. I’ve tried to reason this to myself, and just want to pull some outside opinion into the mix.

Background on me:
  • I’m single, debt free, and have no responsibilities aside from my job.
  • I’ve owned a bunch of cool and high powered cars so far (C5 Z06, blown NSX, 600hp Supra, Stock Twin Supra, LS1 RX7, etc...)
  • I get bored easily and I only own cars for a few months to maybe a little over a year or so.
  • I only buy cars that have mostly depreciated and get into something else for little, if no loss, on a whim. I don’t mind enjoying cars long after they were the big deal.
  • I don’t spend money on much else.
Background on intended usage, needs:
  • This will be my only car, but I have a reliable fuel-injected/water cooled motorcycle which I try to ride as often as possible.
  • I commute 2 miles city one way now, but will change to 15 miles highway commute in a few weeks due to a move.
  • I usually don’t need to carry any more than 1 passenger; opportunities to carry more passengers are optional.
  • I can’t drive anything normal or mundane, just not in my nature.
  • I like big power, I don’t get to use it that often, but when I want it - I want it.
  • Some sort of mod-ability is important.
  • MPG is a psychological thing for me, so it does matter, but I do have the 40mpg on the bike.
  • Reliability is important, but I don’t usually own cars for more than a few thousand miles.
  • I've been to an HPDE once, and liked it, but don't see myself taking the car more than 2 times per year.
My thoughts so far:
  • 2001-2002 996 Turbo – Awesome looks, OK interior, great power, very responsive to mods. A little more MPG than the M5. Most owners report them to be pretty reliable aside from a seemingly week transmission in a few cases. Catch is I will have to take a small loan out to get one (nothing that will upset my monthly earnings significantly, but I will notice). Insurance is 50% more than M5.
  • 2001-2002 E39 M5 – Good looks, great interior, good power, mediocre response to mods. Just a tad less MPG than the 996TT. Extra doors and bigger back seats. Navigation standard and better than Porsche nav. Most owners report them to be pretty reliable aside from a few minor common problems. Insurance will be 50% less than the 996TT but also save me 62% versus my current toy (RX7). Greatest advantage is that I can pay cash for one of these.
Thoughts? I have not driven either car, so that could be a major turnoff (like the E46 M3 was).

Thanks!
Daniel

Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
I've owned both. Without a doubt, the 996TT should be your choice.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I've owned both also and you will be bored of the M5, but not as easily of a MODDED 996 Turbo. I didn't find it too engaging stock...

Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
M5 VS. 996TT on a 996TT forum ? DUH! Come on dude. You knew your answer before you even posted!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Accel Junky is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the responses, all.

Turbohead, I think you are somewhat right, although I just needed to hear something from others

I REALLY appreciate the feeback from guys like Red Devil and Ag Surfer, as they have owned both. You can't beat that kind of opinion!

-Daniel

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
No question in my mind. Single with no responsbilities? That says TT all over it.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Redline is infamous around these parts
Great responses, but which one is going to make you smile more when you valet park and watch it slowly pull away?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:25 PM
tlarocque has a spectacular aura abouttlarocque has a spectacular aura about
Dude, get the turbo and let the modding begin! I too came from a BMW M car and (although they're nice, well-mannered cars) there's just no comparison. FWIW, if you really have an itch for a BMW and want a little more space than the turbo, you could pick up a used E46 M3 and supercharge it and still have money left over.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice informative post. Like the others said the 996TT all the way. I do miss my E46 M3 though, very nice comfortable car with ok power. I have been thinkin of one for a daily lately. I would recommend getting out and driving both, preferably modded

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I've owned both as well, and like the others who have, I vote 996tt. The E39 is a great 4 door hot rod which was a lot fun to drive, but a modded tt blows it away in terms of driving enjoyment. Since you don't usually carry more than 1 passenger, you don't need the E39. Don't get me wrong, I miss the E39, it was a great car, but when you have a 650 HP tt, you get over it fast!

You should drive both just to make up your mind.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redline
Great responses, but which one is going to make you smile more when you valet park and watch it slowly pull away?
Please tell me you were joking because:
1) anybody who's read up or experienced firsthand knows valets can't be trusted, and
2) if watching your car pull away makes you smile more than driving it or looking at it standing still in your garage, then get help.

I'm breaking your ***** really but I know what you were meaning to say about the aesthetic side of things ...

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
JonB has a spectacular aura aboutJonB has a spectacular aura aboutJonB has a spectacular aura about
I currently own both cars.

The E39 M5 is my daily driver and I love it. It is smoother, quieter, and bigger. I have had it on the track a couple of times, but it isn't much fun due to the weight. I like that no one really notices it. It is a terrific sleeper.

My 996 TT is much more aggressive. I have it configured with Euro GT3 seats, stiffer suspension, roll bar, loud exhaust, etc. It would not work well as a daily driver for me. I use it on the weekends for short trips and plan to do some track events.

Given you past rides, it seems like the 996 TT would fit you better.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
I have both cars.

The M5 has more stealth, comfort and room, but the 996tt looks better, goes better and is more fun to drive. I am selling my M5 as it does not get driven lately. Also the 996tt is a great platform for mods, the M5 is not. Go the 996tt.

Red Devil, love your wheels in your avatar (I have a red 996tt but don't like the stock twists). What are they?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Have not owned a bmw but bought 3 pcars last year and sold the 997 05 c2s and kept the 03 996tt coupe as my daily and a 05 996ttS cab as my weekender. I'm sold hard on pcars and even harder on the turbos they make. It all started in 03 with my 03 and 04 rx7 tt. Thumbs up for you in a 996tt. You only live once, right?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I had both too and the E39 can easily be a maintenance nightmare with vanos problems and several other things that can add up fast.

I really love both, but the 996 TT is faster in every way, and if yo ufind yourself wanting that big power again, you'll never get it in a E39.

The E39 is more usable, the 996 TT is better built IMO and more reliable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which one for me: E39 M5 or 996TT?