996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How's the Turbo as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:28 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
How's the Turbo as a daily driver?

Thinking about selling the Carrera and the Touareg to get a Turbo (the wife wants to use the Mini Cooper as a daily driver....I guess that trackday with her and the Mini paid off).

Anyways, how's the Turbo as a daily driver? I was contemplating a GT3, but I got the Turbo bug at the last Open Road Race and the all wheel drive would definitely be better for the rainy season. Thinking about a 2001.

Should I do it?

Anyone want to buy a Touareg or my Carrera?

Old 07-06-2004, 12:43 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
The TT is a great daily driver, however, if you have significant exhaust or suspension modifications, the car can be a bit rough (loud exhaust and/or very stiff suspension). I use my TT as a daily driver and have had no issues. The only concern is parking and door dings...but that goes without saying.

Don't own a GT3 but my understanding is that the ride is pretty tight. Might be a bit rough as a daily driver.

TT is the best of all worlds, IMO. No other car can offer you the handling, acceleration, and ease of use.

Good luck.

T

Old 07-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
The nice thing about the TT as a daily driver can be summed up in one word: TORQUE!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:25 PM
golfnut is infamous around these parts
I use mine as a daily driver and love every minute of it.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
When you're moving it's fun. When you're stoppin-n-going with a clutch it's no fun. It's definitely no fun when it scrapes in and out of driveways, even if you oh so carefully angle it at 45 degrees while the whole world is waiting for you.

Need an adjustable suspension like my landrover.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Porsche Rocks
maxjamie is infamous around these parts
excellent daily driver and surprisingly very easy and comfortable ride (I wish I did drive it daily). Trade your Carerra and upgrade to a TT, but keep the Touareg! I also have a V8 Treg and it's a great back up for the crappy weather. You only live once and enjoy it! TC

Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM
topdaytrader is infamous around these parts
Clutch is lighter than 996 c2, but its much louder & rides kind of harsh on So CA roads.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I drive 40-50 days daily and it is nice. Even with PSS9 it is comfy. I will be installing a new exhaust very soon so the comfort level might be changing soon but we shall see.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Flypuck is infamous around these parts
I drive mine daily. It is great, even in the rainy season.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Rob in Potomac
Robert in Potom is infamous around these parts
Just took delivery of my '04 tt cab last week and expect it to be a daily driver -sort of. At least in good weather and obviously on top down days. On rainy days, it is my Mini Cooper S and also when I start to miss the unique Mini ride.

Very interesting switching between the two, especially the clutch. The tt clutch grab is very abrupt and smooth launches take much more concentration than the Mini and my former Boxster S. But, once launched, the tt is unbelievable.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 PM
RKS
RKS is infamous around these parts
Do it! Great daily driver. Reliable and FUN, especially with a little after-market exhaust sweetener and a short shifter. I look for any excuse to drive mine. It even takes the pain out of those dreaded second and third return trips to the hardware store for that repair project gone bad.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:27 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
My 02 x50 TT is a much better daily driver than my 03 996 cab - lighter clutch makes it very easy in traffic

Old 07-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Lots of people use a Turbo as a daily driver around So Cal. The hydraulic assist clutch makes it very easy to drive around town.

GT2/3 are harder to drive, as the cars are stiffly sprung, and the clutch is quite stiff as well.

But even with that said, I'd still rather drive a GT3 than a Turbo. But that's just me.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:45 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I use mine daily. In fact just drove 9 hours with my two boys and wife. I drive it in the snow etc. I find the more you drive them the better they are. They were meant and designed to be driven. Great cars!

Old 07-07-2004, 12:48 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
They absolutely suck as a daily driver. I hate them. Worst car in the world. Oh hang on, I've had too much crack this morning...

Honestly, there couldn't be a more fun daily driver "super car".... It's easy peasey and as long as you don't go crazy with mods (don't look at me) then you'll have a nice ride too...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How's the Turbo as a daily driver?