996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car sideswiped, need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I get diminution of value all the time, but then I am a lawyer and suit is usually filed. State Farm, Nationwide and All State seem to always fight about everything even when they are in the wrong. If you are serious about getting diminution of value, you may need to seek counsel for that one or they may only offer something like $ 500 for diminution just to settle the case out.

RE: Dealer not saying anything about repairs

When the dealer drives it off to get a bid on it, the wholesellers or appraisers are very liekly looking for over spray or running a paint meter if something looks funky. They may not say anything to you about it, but they may still be discounting the car because of prior repairs.

I have been told that is best to not even respray a hood for paint chips because if something looks too perfect, dealers/wholsellers may discount it based on the assumption that there had previously been repair work.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 996TTR
Everything was resolved today.

The car is being repaired next week. I am receiving a additional settlement of $5500.00 due to the damage caused on the vehicle. The actual damage on the car was an additional $7500. His insurance company decided to settle since there was the potential of legal action.

The reason my dealer was contacted was to determine how much less in value the car would be. The interesting thing is they had a independent Porsche dealer in the area come up with a quote too. Their quote for loss of value on the car was $8000.00!!!!

My personal opinion on purchasing a car that was in a accident is this: I would prefer to purchase a perfect car over a car that had been in a accident if the price is the same. I am suprised that so many on the board would buy a car that was painted or crashed unless it was cheaper.

Thanks for your help guys.

as long as the frame isn't bent there isn't any reason to even have a concern as long as a quality job is done. I mean i've repainted my front end do to sever rock chips, that sure as heck shouldn't take value away from the car. Getting in a fender bender is no different, as long as quality body work is done.

IMO there was absolutely ZERO reason to call your dealer and all you did by doing this is make your car worth less money.

Hell in all honesty the work may come out better, i can't tell you how many bad paint jobs i've seen comming out of factory's lately. The recent dark audi's look like a giant orange peel.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-08-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
You may be right, but given the choice of two cars exactly the same and the same price, the one with no accident history or reapirs will be chosen first at least 9 times out of 10.

The problem is not that the hood looks perfect because of the respray, but the questions that may be raised in one' mind as to why the respray. Absent photographs of before and after and the complete set of invoices for the job, some may be gun shy.

I have perhaps been unlucky, but every car that I have owned that has been wrecked/was wrecked and sustained a fair amount of damage was never exactly the same afterwards.

The car may be fixed perfectly, but then again it may not and there may be no real way of knowing that until after you had the car for a while and little things start to show up like squeaks, rattles, vibrations, uneven tire wear and etc. Just to take the unknown out of the equation, the unwrecked car will be chosen over the wrecked car given the same set of circumstances.

If I am paying close to market value for something as costly as a 996 or a 996TT, I want it to be perfect.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Think of it this way, how many cars on the road today have at least SOME body work done on them? 60%? 75%? It's so prevelant that unless the frame is bent or the repair sucks you are unlikely to see the damage again. Also, if the damage is a bolt-on body panel that can be yanked and replaced, what's the big deal? It's no different than changing an oil filter in theory, just on a larger scale. I think the difference is in the industy's ability to properly match paint. The technonlogy has come a long way. After bolting on a new quarter and matching the paint, how different is it than it was before? It's not, really. It's just a touchy subject because of the emotional attachment we all place on our cars.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
The main problem with reselling a repaired car is that the buyer never can be sure that the complete extent of the damage has been disclosed or even discovered by the repair shop. If you have two cars one you know has never been wrecked and one that has but has been well repaired, Ill bet you always buy the non-wrecked one.