996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How difficult/expensive for rwd conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I've heard people paid $2500 for the LSD. I am not above saying, that is a lot of money to me. Not worth it either. The car handles better than it did in AWD. So saying that those without the LSD must not be tracking the car. You're right, I don't trash my car on a track. And if I wanted to track a car, I wouldn't be trying to do it in a TT, I'd get a GT3. I do drive hard, and I like the way it feels.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
You don't necessarily need LSD for track events UNLESS you are getting inside rear
wheel lift going around corners now.

MK

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
I've heard people paid $2500 for the LSD. I am not above saying, that is a lot of money to me. Not worth it either. The car handles better than it did in AWD. So saying that those without the LSD must not be tracking the car. You're right, I don't trash my car on a track. And if I wanted to track a car, I wouldn't be trying to do it in a TT, I'd get a GT3. I do drive hard, and I like the way it feels.

You're right, if you arent doing anything but driving on the street, you have no need for a LSD, for that matter you had no need to go RWD for handling but you did it anyways. And as far as tracking, the TT has far more potential in it, though it does take some work to get to it. And FWIW you can TRASH your car on the street too. Different strokes my man.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I had no need to increase handling? Okay! The price was right Heavy. You have trashed talk the RWD conversion for years. Let it go dude.

And BTW, if you were scared with the PSM off with RWD, I am guessing there are other issues that may need addressing.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I have a right to my opinion, which is buy a GT2, dont try and make one. Like I said different strokes for different folks.

I also said different strokes for different folks and just like you dont think LSD is needed for the RWD conversion, I'm sure there are as many or more folks who would say RWD isnt needed for street only driving.

A FWIW my scared driving would still make you look foolish, so before you judge my driving, at least have a concept of a reality that's far beyond your "street" handling.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Okay. You won.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
You and Heavy both have your own opinions and that is what this forum is all about us sharing our "opinions" and experiences with each other for the enjoyment of all.

I must admit telling all the guys on this forum with beautiful cars that drive at the track frequently that they are "trashing" their car could certainly be taken the wrong way. I chose to ignore it as you didnt realize how stupid it sounded, Heavy handled it in a different way.

again to each his own!

here is a pic of my "trashed car" at Daytona, car currently has 20K track miles and that's the orignal paint FWIW.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
20K miles and you replaced the engine how long ago? I know what goes on at the track, and I know that it is not something I want to subject my car too, atleast not on a regular basis. The same way I don't want to do the 1/4. That does not mean that I don't want to have a nice handling car for the street. Additionally, I would like to be able to have a Porsche that I can afford to track, but after the cost of tires, brakes, rotors, fluids, suspension parts that wear out, etc. etc. it isn't something I can do at the moment. I think it is great that you guys are out there pushing your cars to the limit, I know its fun, I just can't afford to do it. BTW, Tom, you and Chevy appear to have beautiful cars.

It would be nice if some of the people who feel the same way I do, say something on my behalf. I know ya'll are out there.

Is there anything that is changed as far as limited slip in the rear, when you remove the front drive shaft? Or is it the same amount of limited slip, or lack there of, as it was when the AWD is active?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Toms case is the only one we've heard of, and likely had to do with him running out of gas on track the day prior to. All that is needed respect that different people will have different opinions as to what their car needs, and what they do with their cars. I dont like RWD for the TT, that is a well known fact, and I have my reasons, but I'm not bashing anyone else for doing it. Let's just agree that everyone wont agree on anything and leave it at that and respect others opinions. Different strokes.........

Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Sounds good to me.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
20K miles and you replaced the engine how long ago? I know what goes on at the track, and I know that it is not something I want to subject my car too, atleast not on a regular basis. The same way I don't want to do the 1/4. That does not mean that I don't want to have a nice handling car for the street. Additionally, I would like to be able to have a Porsche that I can afford to track, but after the cost of tires, brakes, rotors, fluids, suspension parts that wear out, etc. etc. it isn't something I can do at the moment. I think it is great that you guys are out there pushing your cars to the limit, I know its fun, I just can't afford to do it. BTW, Tom, you and Chevy appear to have beautiful cars.

It would be nice if some of the people who feel the same way I do, say something on my behalf. I know ya'll are out there.

Is there anything that is changed as far as limited slip in the rear, when you remove the front drive shaft? Or is it the same amount of limited slip, or lack there of, as it was when the AWD is active?
For the piece of mind of the rest of us TT owners, no one ever really found out an actual cause of the broken crank. I still dont know, it happened on a warm up lap? If I tracked it into the ground ah well good for me!! But dont think so. Many Many TT's running in race events all over with no problem, thank God.

I think the majority of guys feel as you do TxGold so no worry. Guys like Heavy and Sechsgang and myself are a special breed of guys that believe in taking themselves and machines to the limit and that's how we all like it.
that is not possible on the street.

I just want guys like you to know you CAN go to the track, not spend really any money, not hurt yourself or car and come away with a grin on your face that will last at least a week!!

Please dont rule out the occasional PCA club track event as a way to stretch you cars legs!! If you are really that worried I would be glad to let you register at an event I am at and drive my car. You owe it to yourself as the owner of a badass car!

Offer stands, enjoy your car.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
No, it will mess up the ecm/psm on a tip.
Please explain. Is there a way around this to go rwd with a tip? Disable pcm? If so, is the lsd available for the tip?

Thanks,
John H

Old 04-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Cary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really niceCary Eisenlohr is just really nice
OK, I have a question but, first let me qualify it because I'm very perplexed:
I've set up both AWD turbos and RWD turbos. As far as it goes on the track, the AWD always drives nicer, has a more controlled turn in, you really never get snap oversteer situations in fact, if you want.. you can hang the car out in long long drifts and easily catch it (as long as you keep that damn PSM off).. we've always had faster laps times than the equally set up RWD turbo's. One of the current project cars I'm working is a GT2 and we were actually looking at putting AWD in it.

So, here's my question, unless you're looking to save some weight or maybe get a little faster response in a straight line, why do people want take the AWD out? What advantage's are you looking to get?? I've heard a couple people talk about TT's having some push...but, that would be a silly reason to take it out because time and time again we've show that this is beyond simple to fix with some minor roll center corrections and the right springs. In fact I'm not sure if the thread is still on here but, when I did the work to John Stephanis's TT it had almost too much oversteer for some people but, he like to throttle steer and specifically requested that I set it up that way so he could throttle steer his car. You could drive that car like NO RWD car around ... it was so fun to drive if you like hanging it out and it was SO easy to correct! Loved that car. Trying that in a RWD TT and you'd be hitting a lot of walls with your rear bumper.
Just curious.. thanks...

Old 04-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tom kerr
...I must admit telling all the guys on this forum with beautiful cars that drive at the track frequently that they are "trashing" their car could certainly be taken the wrong way...
Trashing?

That's about as unproductive as me saying how stupid it is to do a RWD conversion without a LSD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How difficult/expensive for rwd conversion?