996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How difficult/expensive for rwd conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
How difficult/expensive for rwd conversion?

As the title states how difficult and expensive is it to perform a rwd conversion on a 996 TT?

How many members have this modification done and does it affect reliability in any way?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned
JTURBO996 is infamous around these parts
can u do it on a tiptronic??????

Old 03-31-2008, 03:02 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I did it myself, or actually with a little help over the phone from a fellow 6speeder(Thanks Joe). It took about two hours to get everything off the car and out of the way, EXCEPT getting the bearing races out of the front hubs. If you have access to an impact wrench, it is much easier to take the hub nut off. Otherwise you are looking at about 2 hours minimum to remove the bearing races so the halfshafts can come out. I would do it again. I like the way the car feels, and recommend the conversion.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned
JTURBO996 is infamous around these parts
tx gold on a tiptronic u did it?????

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JTURBO996
can u do it on a tiptronic??????

No, it will mess up the ecm/psm on a tip.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
JTurbo, no I have a six speed manual. Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
I did it myself, or actually with a little help over the phone from a fellow 6speeder(Thanks Joe). It took about two hours to get everything off the car and out of the way, EXCEPT getting the bearing races out of the front hubs. If you have access to an impact wrench, it is much easier to take the hub nut off. Otherwise you are looking at about 2 hours minimum to remove the bearing races so the halfshafts can come out. I would do it again. I like the way the car feels, and recommend the conversion.
yes that is the fastest and cheapest way to do it. also you will also get the feel of RWD over AWD.
BUT ........ if you are going to drive hard or track the car you will need to get a LSD for you to get all of the proper benefits of RWD.
Huge threads on this.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom kerr
yes that is the fastest and cheapest way to do it. also you will also get the feel of RWD over AWD.
BUT ........ if you are going to drive hard or track the car you will need to get a LSD for you to get all of the proper benefits of RWD.
Huge threads on this.
OMG i didn't realize a RWD conversion wouldn't have LSD that's awful.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Does the 996TT not come with any sort of locking dif? I'm not convinced. My car feels better in the corners than it did with AWD. Tho, I haven't put many miles on the car.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There is no LSD in the TT.

LSD is about putting the power down in the rear, what you feel is the car turning better due to no power understeer.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
911's get away quite nicely without LSD compared to other cars due to a lot of weight in rear but come on, a modded TT converted to RWD without LSD...you guys must be driving on straights only

Remember a LSD is not even that expensive either...

Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 AM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kaizu
911's get away quite nicely without LSD compared to other cars due to a lot of weight in rear but come on, a modded TT converted to RWD without LSD...you guys must be driving on straights only

Do you have and idea how much LSD cost for the 996TT and where do u recommend ?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UAE996TT
Do you have and idea how much LSD cost for the 996TT and where do u recommend ?
I recommend Manthey near the Nürburgring.

Last autumn it was about 4400 EUR. The price included their 40/60 LSD and their sports clutch. Naturally the install and cleaning of the car inside out is in the price too...

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainframe.asp
Telefon: +49 (0) 2691 / 9337-37

Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is well worth the time and money.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kaizu

It's actually not that bad in a modded TT handling wise. My TT isnt crazy modded, but I didnt have much problem controlling it. It did scare me into keeping PSM on though which I didnt realize until later made driving it even scarier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How difficult/expensive for rwd conversion?