996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Net Worth/Income to own a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
hmm, at first I would say: nice year you had, you must be a pretty intelligent guy. Then, I see the question you pose and have to take that back. I guess if you are on some forum asking complete strangers if your financial position is good enough to afford a 996TT, you probably need to do some homework and get a financial advisor.

I'm sorry, I do not want to offend you...and I hope you do get into a nice Pcar. I just can't believe someone intelligent enough to have such a good job at a young age (a little older than myself) is not smart enough to know his financial limits, etc. That is what Im having the most trouble with here.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
mod220 is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by SHANKENFELTER
exactly, most people fall into parkinson's law - "expenses rise to exceed income"
funny thing is my expenses have dropped as income has gone up for me. i grew up in an area where everyone spent $2 for every $1 made, dont want to fall into that trap. i feel liek the more i make the more i want to save, almost an addiction right now. i've had the same watch for 8 years, sure i want the new one, but i've fought it off. dont think i can fight off the 996 though

Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Eurotrs is infamous around these parts
I hope you are not a financial advisor if you're looking at a 996TT as an invetsment.

You buy a car for to enjoy it, because its a hobby, there are very few car you can make money on.

Is it a good idea financially? NO.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
To the OP. If you know anything about cars, they are always going to be a depreciating asset. Some cars can be exceptions. When you are talking about a Porsche, you should also be aware that maintaining one is not cheap and the cost of having one does not come cheap as well. If something goes wrong, you are looking at thousands to spend. You said earlier that you are in sales and that you definitely cannot predict or replicate your prior income as it does vary. With that in mind its up to you to decide whether you can afford it, given how long you want to keep the car!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
e36uc has a spectacular aura aboute36uc has a spectacular aura aboute36uc has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Eurotrs
I hope you are not a financial advisor if you're looking at a 996TT as an invetsment.

You buy a car for to enjoy it, because its a hobby, there are very few car you can make money on.

Is it a good idea financially? NO.
agreed +1

Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Some people will never get it

You don't buy a Porsche because you can.....You buy one because , you have a passion for it, and every time you drive it it gives you an experience money cant replace.
I can only assume most on this board do very well. Honestly at your age i would invest the extra money and turn that in to more, further more I can not for the life of me understand why you wouldn't put that money into your mortgage( if you have one).

Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Karrera4
hmm, at first I would say: nice year you had, you must be a pretty intelligent guy. Then, I see the question you pose and have to take that back. I guess if you are on some forum asking complete strangers if your financial position is good enough to afford a 996TT, you probably need to do some homework and get a financial advisor.

I'm sorry, I do not want to offend you...and I hope you do get into a nice Pcar. I just can't believe someone intelligent enough to have such a good job at a young age (a little older than myself) is not smart enough to know his financial limits, etc. That is what Im having the most trouble with here.
I appreciate your candor, and i see where you're coming from. i do have an advisor and i do have more sense then to base my financial decisions off a random web forum. but i was also curious to see what other owners thought as they too, were once in this dilmena themselves. i've never seen harm in getting advice from people that have done something i'm considering doing? seems pretty logical actually.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I can't believe this question was asked, let alone asking complete strangers on an internet forum to divulge their finances. Comeon, don't you think that's a bit much for one of your first posts. How can you not know if you can afford a car or not? I'm genuinely confused, and thought this kind of garbage was confined to the realm of 16yos on the Off Topic forum. If you're even asking this question, just don't do it.

Lucky you Vicious isn't here anymore or he'd make you cry.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned
CarChrisM5 is infamous around these parts
i honestly dont think you started this thread because you wanted people's advice of whether you could afford the car, and i also dont think you started it to brag, i think you started it because you really want the car, you know you can afford it, but you just need some people who also have a passion for cars to tell you to get it, that will give you some affirmation, so get the damn car, you know you want to!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
1$ more than the Porsche cost!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by CarChrisM5
i honestly dont think you started this thread because you wanted people's advice of whether you could afford the car, and i also dont think you started it to brag, i think you started it because you really want the car, you know you can afford it, but you just need some people who also have a passion for cars to tell you to get it, that will give you some affirmation, so get the damn car, you know you want to!
thanks, Chris. i think you are spot on. nobody here knows me from adam, so i expected a few guys to give me the lame answers questioning me, thats fine, but i greatly appreciate those of you taking the time with sensible answers. time to start the car search...

Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
I can't believe this question was asked, let alone asking complete strangers on an internet forum to divulge their finances. Comeon, don't you think that's a bit much for one of your first posts. How can you not know if you can afford a car or not? I'm genuinely confused, and thought this kind of garbage was confined to the realm of 16yos on the Off Topic forum. If you're even asking this question, just don't do it.

Lucky you Vicious isn't here anymore or he'd make you cry.
Thanks for the solid feedback.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Good luck with the purchase. Why don't you ask a psychic.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
pcar993 is infamous around these parts
Ok mod220, now i need to know what you do for a living? Im a civil engineer and a land surveyor and my dad is a well known land developer that built Puff Daddys house and we both chipped in half and half to buy a 996TT since we both love the damn car, no point in having 2 of the same cars. If you make 300K, then i would say for sure you can easily afford a 996TT and by all means, go find one you like and get it because these cars are amazing. Im also in the mid 20's and you make way more than i do so what are you waiting for???

Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM
arr0gant is infamous around these parts
Been on car forums for years now, this is the 1st time i've ever seen a post where someone freely gives their salary/net worth and has the ***** to ask other total strangers to do the same.

Either the OP has no class, or is just really stupid.
Just my opinion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Net Worth/Income to own a 996TT?