996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Net Worth/Income to own a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Good luck with the purchase. Why don't you ask a psychic.

Agreed. I don't get the question.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
banzai84 is infamous around these parts
I think this was a useless post. You don't have to have a certain net worth/income to own a 996TT. If your willing to pay for one and want one, than do it. Also, it's a little naive to expect everyone on here to have high salaries and net worth just because they have nice cars. I know people with nice cars who have money and ones who don't. Also I know people who are very well off who could care less about a nice car (my parents come to mind; very cheap!!!) The people on this board have nice cars because we like them. In my case, I would rather have a nice car than a boat or some other luxury items.

OK, I'm done with that mindless rant.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
PARealtor is infamous around these parts
if you have to ask, you probably shouldnt

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
LOL...I'm sorry but while I understand the innocent intent of this thread, I find myself giggling at the fact that you make $300K and are asking if you can afford a used 996TT...

Granted, as some have bought up, I don't know what you spend, nor do I know if you're in debt from other things...but if I was assuming no, I'd say this was a pretty ridicious question.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
mtndriver is infamous around these parts
Income

It is refreshing to see someone ask if they can afford something vs. mortgaging the ranch to get whatever. Rather than net worth or income as a measure I would ask if you have identified financial goals for the remainder of your life such as time of retirement, how much you'll need, family, kids, etc. If you can reach your established goals then go for it. If you haven't thought about long term goals I would suggest doing some financial planning and then come back to the issue at hand. I know people who have a large income and cash flow but spend it all and have nothing for the future. They could afford your car in the short term but not the long run. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
am on old **** but here goes always kept 10k in cash not the bank someplace that icould get my arms around it fast... the same amount in two differnt banks... bal in the market. thought being if all goes to hell i'll at least have 10 k at my fingertips and will most likly be able to get 20k out of the feds if the banks fail.. save enough to live for a year without an income ... then buy whatever you want..

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
mtesh73 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Some people will never get it

You don't buy a Porsche because you can.....You buy one because , you have a passion for it, and every time you drive it it gives you an experience money cant replace.
I can only assume most on this board do very well. Honestly at your age i would invest the extra money and turn that in to more, further more I can not for the life of me understand why you wouldn't put that money into your mortgage( if you have one).
well stated, i agree... it will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
if you have it, i would purchase it 100% cash. This way you don't have a lingering monthly debt, nor are you paying out interest to the banks for no reason.
If you don't have $60k left from the $300k you made last year, then NO you can't afford a 996TT and you need to adjust spending habits.

what really matters is what you have made so far this year, and a REAL HONEST outlook on what you will finish at by end of year 2008.
If you have the $60K, and you will make at least $100K this year and the NEXT year, then I would say go ahead and do it.
If you are always doubtful as to how well you will close out each month, then I would say don't risk it. Take the money and put it into a mutual fund or go higher risk and make it make YOU money. If you do it well, you can double that $60K in 1 year and the car is "free".

Next thing you can do is find a better sales job that sells services and pays recurring %.

Last edited by Fantasma; 03-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Simple answer - if you can afford circa $60k plus running costs and not miss / notice the loss then go for it.
I've effectively mentally 'written off' the purchase of my TT, mods, runnings costs and now just enjoy driving it.
It's a bit like buying a vintage wine and drinking it :-)

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
hbrochs is infamous around these parts
+1 mtndriver

excellent answer.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
buy it when you wont miss or notice it from your account.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mod220
thanks to all who helped me out, hopefully i'll have a car soon to share.

Mike
I had these same thoughts when I bought one. I didnt come on the boards because everyone has a different opinion and it really doesnt matter.

For me I just wanted one, I knew I could afford it and I did it. I didnt look at it as transportation I looked at it as a hobby and something that would make me happy. I work enough and I needed an outlet. Its not a house, if you dont feel like dropping the coin on the insurance and maintance anymore its reasonably easy to sell.

Do what you feel comfortable with and most importantly makes YOU happy. If someone thinks you are wasting your money thats fine, its YOUR money.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
If I can....I am an aircraft mechanic since over 33 years. I never made over $70,000.00 per year. I don't have a big house. I don't have fancy toys or live a fancy life. But I am a passionate person. Porsche 911 are to me a marvel of technology + they are beautiful to my eyes. I went to Stuttgart in 1984 and I saw a man and his wife at the factory looking at their car being assemble. It was a turbo. Once completed they took delivery of their car and drove it home. You cannot believed how much I envy them. So I decided to build a small banking account and now I am ready to purchase the car of my dream. Of course a used one. Many avenue are possible to reach your dream. But some people have to work harder. Nothing is impossible. Of course, I touch wood, I cannot afford big engine failure or major tunings but I will appreciate what I got... J.P.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
This entire post is hypothetical based upon a question that someone who can afford such a car wouldn't have to ask, or wouldn't have to go onto a public forum to solicit such input. Open the restaurant...then open a chain...then buy the car...or two of them. Don't settle for the TT...buy a GT2.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
All these theories are are well and good but there is also a point to be made that was apparent to me in the 70's.

My dad always waited for the right time to do stuff.

We buried him at 45.

Don't wait for all the stars to be aligned before you persue your dreams.

xotw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Net Worth/Income to own a 996TT?