996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo Gt640 or Evo GT750

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Bahrain996TT

If I were you I would save money and not send my engine over and over again to EVO or anyone else..Just get a reliable package, not a newborn untested one, you live thousands of miles away and no one where you live knows how to fix these engines, certainly not the dealer. Now that it is in the US (again!), get a milder state of tune that EVO and /or IA have tested for thousands of miles instead of the zillion hp one.
Focus on suspension, gearbox, weight and grip for your quartermile runs. 11 seconds is lousy, 130mph + shows you have more than enough hp and torque.
You need to have softer springs in the rear (400-500lbs maximum), shed weight, lots of it, work on your gears meticulously to hit 140mph in 4th, and you will be below 11seconds for sure. The gearshift alone will save you 0.4/0.5 seconds. Tire pressures ???
At the end of the day, no matter what you do, I will beat your quartermile runs at the BIC Look me up on April 29th.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Just noticed that this thread is from last century Curious to know however how it ended..

Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
GT kits

FWIW, my GT700 was significantly improved over the stage 4gt I had previously. Smoother power delivery throughout the rev range and very strong acceleration from lower rpm levels were all evident. I believe the better fuel delivery from the combined new larger injectors, fuel pump and programming were the key. It helped that I also had the IBE program switcher so I was able to run different octane levels. I'd do it again if I bought another turbo or GT2. However, I suggest upgrading the clutch and anything over GT700 would need strengthened internals. I really miss that motor.

Last edited by NelsonF; 04-22-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:57 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
02 X50, there are several packages we carrry that may require race gas and there are some that require a fuel system upgrade and run on pump gas to achieve those numbers. We are working to upgrade the website to reflect that.

My car is well over those numbers wihtout the use of race gas. As a dialy driver 100 octane prices would make it not usable for daily use.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
So what exactly is the GT750? It sounds like it is the Stage 4GTR with uber amounts of boost?
You lookin' at it man It's a 10 second car is what it is.... And that was low boost.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:04 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Todd @ EVO
Tyson, our GT750 is very different. I will be posting all of the new information on the 3 new tuning systems as well as some new products shortly. Some of you have the information from speaking with me directly however we were not planning on releasing the information until mid this month. I apologize for the confusion.
Stop releasing products for the 996TT.... Do I have to get rebuilt another time? . Pick on some other owners like the Cayman...

BTW I tried out the TQ converter yesterday for the first time at the drag strip. Not sayin' anything yet but let's just say on my practise run/shake down run without even launching hard I was kicked out

In any case, I think us Tip owners will really like it. I think it was Anders/John/Mike right that took care of mine?

Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhd
02 X50, there are several packages we carrry that may require race gas and there are some that require a fuel system upgrade and run on pump gas to achieve those numbers.
Are those going to be different/same as EVO's? Just wondering what you did for the fuel system in terms of going to dual pumps or?

Old 04-23-2005, 05:26 PM
lcheng is infamous around these parts
So what is the power of a GT640 on pump gas 91 octane? I believe my car at stock setting make 450hp on pump gas.
Lawrence

Old 04-24-2005, 07:44 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sharkster
You lookin' at it man It's a 10 second car is what it is.... And that was low boost.
Alex...

how did the stock internals of the car look prior to going under the knife. Im at 31K miles and although I have much less HP/TQ, im just curious.

Im done in terms of power mods, so I think i'll be ok...however im wondering if stock internals will hold up well with the measly 600HP that I have.... LOL! Keep in mind that I have 31K on the clock...11k on the new setup and previous 16K with the standard ecu upgrade and exhaust.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:09 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
If I might step in since we build a lot of motors...sorry.

The motors we have built at 600HP at the crank start to show bearing shadowing at about 18-20K miles. The rods are not bending here, but the failure of the rod bolt is evident. Keep in mind that usage, constant RPM band and over revving all will accelerate that issue. Overall the bearings have looked good and just show signs. I have yet to see one fail all together.

At your level I have not torn one motor down that has had an issue with bent rods. Although we have several others and it happens now on a regular basis with higher HP levels.

In your case keep the oil changed regularly and look for material in it. Send it out if you would like to have it analyzed. If you start to see more bearing content then make appropriate plans.Typically your oil pressure also becomes an issue on the top end.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Typically your oil pressure also becomes an issue on the top end.
Could you explain this further?

Old 04-24-2005, 10:41 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
If I might step in since we build a lot of motors...sorry.

The motors we have built at 600HP at the crank start to show bearing shadowing at about 18-20K miles. The rods are not bending here, but the failure of the rod bolt is evident. Keep in mind that usage, constant RPM band and over revving all will accelerate that issue. Overall the bearings have looked good and just show signs. I have yet to see one fail all together.

At your level I have not torn one motor down that has had an issue with bent rods. Although we have several others and it happens now on a regular basis with higher HP levels.

In your case keep the oil changed regularly and look for material in it. Send it out if you would like to have it analyzed. If you start to see more bearing content then make appropriate plans.Typically your oil pressure also becomes an issue on the top end.
Stephen.... Thanks....

Could I send the oil to you for analysis... or do you know of a place where I can send it?

Old 04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen, Todd and Alex, feel free to advise- how much hp (crank/4whp/2whp) can stock internals reliably hold on 91,93/94 and 100 octane fuel?

Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Old 04-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Re: Evo Gt640 or Evo GT750

Originally posted by Bahrain 996TT
hi guys , i need your help if you had the choice between Evo GT640 or Evo Gt750 which one would perform better for 1/4 mile racing keep in mind the GT750 has a bigger turbo with 50-75 more hp i'll be using my car alot in drag strips + which one is more daily use ? any of you guys tested or installed one of the above upgrades from Evo .
Buy a different car, if drag racing is so important to you, for the cost of your Porsche and the mods there are much much better 1/4 mile cars out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo Gt640 or Evo GT750