996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo Gt640 or Evo GT750

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by aj996tt
Stephen, Todd and Alex, feel free to advise- how much hp (crank/4whp/2whp) can stock internals reliably hold on 91,93/94 and 100 octane fuel?
I would suggest changing internals at approximately 560 @ the wheels or 640 crank.

Last edited by cjv; 04-24-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
edit: Cjv fixed his mistake.

Last edited by Craigger; 04-25-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Crash is infamous around these parts
He said at the crank.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure everyone is clear. We are suggesting two different things. Rod bolt faliure is not a bent rod. that is when the bolt stretches and the bearing ovals. This will cause the bearing to fail and when it does it throws a rod.

At the levels Chad mentions your rods will actually bend. Both create a problem and maybe a hole in the case

Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Bahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond reputeBahrain 996TT has a reputation beyond repute
hi guys i dont know who opend this thread it was long time ago since i posted it , anyway i just want to tell you i went ahead and got the GT800 believe me guys the car is really fast my top speed was 347 km/h to be exact and i let go because in bahrain we dont have long highways i'm sure my 1/4 mile would be some where in the high 10s cause i have lightend my car a lot and raced a high second vette and beated him hopefully soon i will post my 1/4 mile slip , i have one thing to say to all porsche owners if you guys had a spare money trust me get the GT 800 package it worth every penny and its really reliable it feels like a stock porsche but except for the high exhaust tone and the clutch noise i drive the car 3 times a week and beat the **** out of it and so far its excellent its much better than my old up-grade when i used to have the stage 5 from evo which they disscountinued i had a lot of problem with that set-up especially the external wastegates .and the car was too laggy .

Old 04-24-2005, 09:25 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PorschePhd
The motors we have built at 600HP at the crank start to show bearing shadowing at about 18-20K miles. The rods are not bending here, but the failure of the rod bolt is evident. Keep in mind that usage, constant RPM band and over revving all will accelerate that issue. Overall the bearings have looked good and just show signs. I have yet to see one fail all together.
When you pull the rods out of these 600HP 20K mile motors are the rod big ends out of round? Are the bearing clearances out of spec?

Originally posted by PorschePhd
In your case keep the oil changed regularly and look for material in it. Send it out if you would like to have it analyzed. If you start to see more bearing content then make appropriate plans.Typically your oil pressure also becomes an issue on the top end.
What wear metals would be mainly elevated from excessive rod bearing wear? Lead and tin?
thanks

Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Brass would be the higher content.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ebaker
When you pull the rods out of these 600HP 20K mile motors are the rod big ends out of round? Are the bearing clearances out of spec?

What wear metals would be mainly elevated from excessive rod bearing wear? Lead and tin?
thanks
ebaker,

If you have your oil analyzed on a consistent basis, you will be aware of the bearing wear as it was occuring.

Last edited by cjv; 04-24-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Bahrain996TT
Yes somehow the thread has diverted a bit...I am glad to read that your car is now running great. So I guess you will be at the April 29th event?

I will be looking forward to do some runs with you with my 600+ old 993TT I have still never driven it since it was modded, the F1 track will be the testing ground. You have a great looking car BTW.

Hope to see you there.