996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Congrats - so what the numbers the car is making?
there has been so much controversy on the forums regarding numbers made on dynos. so for the time being, we have decided to forego posting dyno numbers. i think what really matters is what the car can actually do on the street, i.e. 0 - 60 mph, 1/4 mile, 1/4 trap speed, 60 - 130 mph, etc., etc. So we are going to connect a driftbox to the car and post what this car is capable of on the street, which is much more important than a dyno number. please keep in mind that we are tuning on 93 octane gas, and the car is already substantially faster than my Carrera GT. The driftbox should be in next week, so as long as we have some good weather, i hope to post the driftbox numbers late next week!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
If this thing works the way it should, there will be a new era for PorscheTT.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Just for those who do not know, and nothing to take away from Switzer... but it still takes Protomotive to make it work... I'm not getting into details but I'm sure due credit will come when its due...
markski
Once Tym gets a chance to be online, he mentioned he was planning on publicly thanking Todd for the help he provided in getting the OEM ECU to talk properly to the standalone so that everything worked like the factory. Tym isn't like some others on this board.....

That being said, please don't try to stirup an internet issue when there isn't one....those two work very effectively together and Todd is excited to continue working with Tym as a Protomotive dealer and vice versa....

Old 04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Once Tym gets a chance to be online, he mentioned he was planning on publicly thanking Todd for the help he provided in getting the OEM ECU to talk properly to the standalone so that everything worked like the factory. Tym isn't like some others on this board.....

That being said, please don't try to stirup an internet issue when there isn't one....those two work very effectively together and Todd is excited to continue working with Tym as a Protomotive dealer and vice versa....
So what you are saying is Vishnu saved the day?

Seriously though, congrats to your peeps there. They've done great. Watched the video and two thumbs up. Two thumbs up...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Sign me up! If this is an AEM based system than that is going to be amazing what we can do as far as tuning and options. 2 step rev limiters, meth injections options, flat-foot shifting, speed dependant boost, etc. Cant wait for the details on this !!!
I would never put an AEM on a Porsche (or anything that you daily drive)....and neither would Tym But yes, the minimum features would include everything you could do with a Motec...plus more.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
So what you are saying is Vishnu saved the day?

Seriously though, congrats to your peeps there. They've done great. Watched the video and two thumbs up. Two thumbs up...

I know Tym would love to talk to you more about it if you and James have interest....

Old 04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Did you say Motec. All game...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Did you say Motec. All game...
I referenced Motec as an example....it's actually has some more features, is manufactured to a higher quality, and is cheaper than Motec. And I love the Motec in my Supra

Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2

I know Tym would love to talk to you more about it if you and James have interest....
Most welcome anytime Bring him out for a celebrity tour...

I still remember seeing the exhaust for a 997tt DK996TT sent it out here and wow...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Greetings to all. I normally don't get the time to follow up with forums much, so bear with me while I try to answer some questions behind what we've been up to.

First of all I'd like to make it very clear that Todd Knighton and I are friends as well as business associates. We work closely together on a regular basis exchanging products, information and tuning data. He has probably contributed more to this community than many will ever know, so it's important to me that everyone knows where I stand when it comes to the Knighton's and SPI. You will likely not find anyone who has a better knowledge of the calibration architecture in the stock DME, nor the experience to apply it than Todd. Many thanks to Protomotive for their assistance with this project... there's been so much work and so many man hours that have gone into this effort that I can't even quantify it!

For the last few months, I have been working diligently to integrate stand alone engine managment into the 996 and 997 platforms. Many of you ask why and the answer is simple. I wanted complete control over the tuning in order to produce the desired result on particular build ups. In this way, I can control every aspect of the vehicle's tune in order to tailor it to some of the particular needs of my clients. I can also add additional tuning features that really aren't possible with the stock DME. I would like to make it clear, however, that many of these features are not necessary for 90 percent of my clients and that is why I use Todd at Protomotive for my DME programming and will continue to do so.

I'm very excited to have the 997 up and running and it's running strong. We are through our first phase of tuning as many of you have already seen. We've got a few changes to make and more tuning to do, so things should get really exciting in the next week or so.

I haven't really been worried about max power glory pulls on the dyno at this point as I have had my attention focused on tuning transient reponse and driveability.

Like I said, this solution won't be for everyone, but I can assure you that even our reflashed DME clients will benefit from the amount of data that we've already attained while using the stand alone on the car.

For those of you trying to get ahold of me, feel free to PM me or drop me an email if you can't get me on the phone. I'll do the best I can to get back to everyone as soon as I can!

Thanks again to everyone for their compliments!

Play nice! (Especially you, Jamie!!! )

Old 04-04-2008, 03:55 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
A big congrats, there is such cool stuff coming to our "community" and this
really has big, big potential. The car sounds absolutely fantastic,

Congrats to you and those who helped you!

Marty K.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk996tt
there has been so much controversy on the forums regarding numbers made on dynos. so for the time being, we have decided to forego posting dyno numbers. i think what really matters is what the car can actually do on the street, i.e. 0 - 60 mph, 1/4 mile, 1/4 trap speed, 60 - 130 mph, etc., etc. So we are going to connect a driftbox to the car and post what this car is capable of on the street, which is much more important than a dyno number. please keep in mind that we are tuning on 93 octane gas, and the car is already substantially faster than my Carrera GT. The driftbox should be in next week, so as long as we have some good weather, i hope to post the driftbox numbers late next week!
I HEAR U BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW THE DYNO NUMBER. TOO MUCH DRIVER ERROR IN THE RUNS

Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I want one. I'll also take one of those nice Intercooler kits I've seen you make.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
At this point, what can your stand alone offer that Protomotive tuning cant?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
At this point, what can your stand alone offer that Protomotive tuning cant?
I'm going to venture
Anti-Lag, 2 Step, Progressive boost / gear control. Nitrous control, etc etc etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!