996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:07 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 1400 hp Supra sitting in my garage, I understand the concept however what can his tune do at this point that my Protomotive tune can not do?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Stand alone will allow you or your local tuner to do real-time tuning of the parameters mentioned above. This is especially crucial at the dragstrip or road race course...That's why you always see stand alone get install in Cup/race cars...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
one thing that we are definitely considering doing is gear dependent boost control. as you saw at the end of the video clip, when we launch the car from a dig, it ripped all four tires loose and the car actually drifted into the other lane. this would obviously not be ideal in a street race situation. i can't let all the secrets out of the bag, but we have some very exciting things we are utilizing on the standalone that can't be done on the stock ECU.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vincentdds
...That's why you always see stand alone get install in Cup/race cars...
Vincent, this is incorrect I am afraid, all Cup cars and other Porsche race cars run on factory Motronic, the Motec is for datalogging only. The teams that run on standalone units are those who do not have access or cannot tune Motronic to suit their needs.
Originally Posted by robmd99
I have a 1400 hp Supra sitting in my garage, I understand the concept however what can his tune do at this point that my Protomotive tune can not do?
Nothing at all on the performance side, except maybe several maps for different conditions etc.. that are easily switchable. You get more flexibility in the options available, but for a street driven performance car, I am not sure there is much use for them?

Last edited by Jean; 04-05-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by robmd99
...Perhaps nothing if your combination is performing to your satisfaction and it is meeting all of your goals and requirements.

If I am tuning with a stand alone and I attain 100 percent of the available power, and you're running a Protomotive-tuned DME and you attain 100 percent of the available power... we've done the same thing with a different method. However, I may have more flexibility in some areas of the tune to be more creative at how I put that power to use. In addition, I may be able to add a feature for my client's project that the stock DME cannot accomodate.

For me, this project wasn't about defeating the factory Motronic tuning. Let me publicly say that the Motronics are brilliant. I can't even imagine the enormous amount of time that has been devoted to the Bosch Motronic programming over the last decade. It's designed to achieve many things, but there are compromises being made regarding the protection of the manufacturer's interests, many of which we get around when we reprogram the DME's with Protomotive. Some we cannot. Some of these things matter on certain projects, some of them do not.

If your vehicle is doing everything you wish it to do then Protomotive has done their job well and you need not consider any other alternative.

This entire project was simply about doing things my way. I've enjoyed the challenge of making it work and trying to program from scratch many of the things that have taken the engineers at Bosch years to perfect... while at the same time enabling me to generate as much power as I like while applying that power as I see fit.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Okay... back to work!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent honest answer Tym, speaks very highly of you.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
tym's reason for even taking on this project was to meet his customer's goals. the features i wanted in my car would never have been attainable using the stock ECU. however, remapping the stock ECU may achieve other customer's goals. i just want some very unique features that are unattainable with the stock ECU. hopefully by the end of the month, we will have some very exciting information to share with the community!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Great answer! Thank you very much for a REAL answer.
Good luck
Robert

Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Best thread yet... Keep up the great work Tym and I look forward to hearing from you next week.

Suman

Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
wow.. very impressive.. cant wait to hear more updates

Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk996tt
the features i wanted in my car would never have been attainable using the stock ECU. however, remapping the stock ECU may achieve other customer's goals. i just want some very unique features that are unattainable with the stock ECU.
I commend Tym for taking on this project as well... BIG TIME... in the end it probably will be a very viable set up... But isn't it Ironic how Protomotive has to numb the "Stock ECU" in order to take advantage of the other ecu? And with that said, I thought a stand alone is a direct replacement for a stock ecu.... if so why then are we dealing with 2 ecus? stock and after market?
I thought that is called something else....
let's see and wait what the developer tells us before jumping the gun.... maybe its not finished yet....

best,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 04-05-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
YA like a piggy back !

Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
why are you always so negative in every thread concerning new development?

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I commend Tym for taking on this project as well... BIG TIME... in the end it probably will be a very viable set up... But isn't it Ironic how Protomotive has to numb the "Stock ECU" in order to take advantage of the other ecu? And with that said, I thought a stand alone is a direct replacement for a stock ecu.... if so why then are we dealing with 2 ecus? stock and after market?
I thought that is called something else....
let's see and wait what the developer tells us before jumping the gun.... maybe its not finished yet....

best,
markski

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
how is he negative ? hes just speaking the truth and obvioulsy he knows something you dont ? a true standalone i thought anyway didnt need the stock ECU for it to work....and its a direct replacement of the stock ECU....maybe theres something im missing here...

Old 04-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
To the tune of Crosby Stills and Nashes' Ohio:

Porsche engine and Switzer's tunin'.
There's finally a standalone.
This summer I hear the revvin'.
Twin turbos in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it.
Supra's been gunning us down.
Should have been done long ago.
What if you gunned her and
Put more to the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 04-05-2008 at 02:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!