996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you killing your tranny while tracking???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Odog...good to see you posting...good points as well...

Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Who sells the GT2 squirters?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I know the Vettes have a warning light that lights up on the DIC when the temps get to 295 degrees. Although our cars aren't Vettes, I believe that's a really good starting point. The Vette is one of few that has temp sensors in the tranny and diff with warning codes associated with them... Pretty slick, and this was on the C5 model, so yea, pretty cutting edge for 1997!

Anyway, it's an issue if you're seeing 25-30 minutes on the track or more in higher temps/humid air. heat soak is a serious issue...CJV, you're right. What temp is the fluid at... Shame we don't have an OEM sensor inline...

Mike

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Mentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of lightMentosman43 is a glorious beacon of light
Hey I've read through every post because I'm very interested in picking up a 996tt and plan do a few DE's with it so I was curious as to the associated stressed. Along the lines of the C5 vettes having that tranny temp guage I know the new M5 and M3 have it as well (part of iDrive I think?) My friend did the BMW M driving school and advanced courses where they managed to warp brand new M3 rotors in a day and he said when the temps in the tranny or engine got to hot it actually pulled power back and you'd have to drive a few laps normally, or stop, till the temps dropped because iDrive would be freaking out. Just something I thought that was interesting I wanted to interject. :P

Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Webtool1
Tom. Don't forget this info was for industrial gears which are subject to lower stress and expected to last, but off the top of my head at 140F-150F no problem for 2000 hours, beyond 180F oil life degrades and would be best changed at much lower hrs. indicated by colour. Our rule of thumb was if you could touch the gear case for a full second you were probably ok.

regular street driving with the cooler off will run you up to 180+ for all of you to know.

I put mine on when I pull out of the pits not after it heats way up.

at the track with cooler it still runs 200+, again FYI

for the street driver obviously no problem but heavy track yes.

BTW you should see the exhaust gas temps!! street 450, track about 750!! while the engine temp still stays exactly at 180.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Odog
my $.02 worth here.....as I see a few critical points "unmade" as I also am wrestling with how far I need to go with the planning of my "preventative" rebuild to handle at least my crappy driving.

apologies in advance for the excessive use of emoticons. couldn't find bullet points.

note the differences between the tt box and the gt2 box and consider the relatively minor performance differences of the whole drivetrain.....if one were in the Porsche warranty department/design team meetings....one may have suggested that a cooler should be placed on a 'box that had an LSD and was theoretically aimed at a more hardcore driver's vehicle. (i.e. "hey boys we're near the ragged edge on what the tt box/gearlube will cope with as it sits @ 415fwhp!")...

in a similar meeting elsewhere in the building(s)....."yep, we could make the transmission as overbuilt as the 930 transaxles but we have the constraints of space/ease of shifting for an average-underskilled driver/fuel economy/strict EU noise regulations/price point/weight/ and eleventeen other items to consider- so we'll have to wait until we build a car that retails closer to $200k USD before we can even do some of this cool stuff"

this week, a Porsche reman box currently runs about $9000 with a $1700ish core charge...50+/- on the shelf in Germany didn't see one here stateside.

short shift kits even/especially on these wonderful cable shift transaxles will shorten the life of synchros & operating sleeves because anyone can easily shift faster than the synchros can do their job

the motorsports cooler and squirters can be installed in these gearboxes without much drama. Seemingly two good ways to do it...and the less expensive one is about as much as a pretty nice watch.

an aftermarket cooler elsewhere in a good airstream will cool very well....sometimes too well for those of us who drive our cars on cold days...unless you run a thermostatically controlled cooler.....or with a coolant interchange to help with warmup.....

Porsche engineering really shines in their racecars.....look at what they did on the 935/917/956's to help those boxes live with power levels not unlike what some/most? of us are running!!!! in cars that weigh effectively half of what ours do....with an expectation of longevity listed in double digit hours!

easily available US gearlube is mediocre at best...

despite all this...they are pretty friggin sweet gearboxes in a pretty friggin sweet car!
Question, if you are talking about the GT2 squirters as a retro to a 996tt, how is this a simple job? You have to drill the case and install a certain gear shaft that is hollow so as to operate the squiters or oilers?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Odog
my $.02 worth here.....as I see a few critical points "unmade" as I also am wrestling with how far I need to go with the planning of my "preventative" rebuild to handle at least my crappy driving.

apologies in advance for the excessive use of emoticons. couldn't find bullet points.

note the differences between the tt box and the gt2 box and consider the relatively minor performance differences of the whole drivetrain.....if one were in the Porsche warranty department/design team meetings....one may have suggested that a cooler should be placed on a 'box that had an LSD and was theoretically aimed at a more hardcore driver's vehicle. (i.e. "hey boys we're near the ragged edge on what the tt box/gearlube will cope with as it sits @ 415fwhp!")...

in a similar meeting elsewhere in the building(s)....."yep, we could make the transmission as overbuilt as the 930 transaxles but we have the constraints of space/ease of shifting for an average-underskilled driver/fuel economy/strict EU noise regulations/price point/weight/ and eleventeen other items to consider- so we'll have to wait until we build a car that retails closer to $200k USD before we can even do some of this cool stuff"

this week, a Porsche reman box currently runs about $9000 with a $1700ish core charge...50+/- on the shelf in Germany didn't see one here stateside.

short shift kits even/especially on these wonderful cable shift transaxles will shorten the life of synchros & operating sleeves because anyone can easily shift faster than the synchros can do their job

the motorsports cooler and squirters can be installed in these gearboxes without much drama. Seemingly two good ways to do it...and the less expensive one is about as much as a pretty nice watch.

an aftermarket cooler elsewhere in a good airstream will cool very well....sometimes too well for those of us who drive our cars on cold days...unless you run a thermostatically controlled cooler.....or with a coolant interchange to help with warmup.....

Porsche engineering really shines in their racecars.....look at what they did on the 935/917/956's to help those boxes live with power levels not unlike what some/most? of us are running!!!! in cars that weigh effectively half of what ours do....with an expectation of longevity listed in double digit hours!

easily available US gearlube is mediocre at best...

despite all this...they are pretty friggin sweet gearboxes in a pretty friggin sweet car!
Question, if you are talking about the GT2 squirters as a retro to a 996tt, how is this a simple job? You have to drill the case and install a certain gear shaft that is hollow so as to operate the squirters or oilers?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
The beauty of this is, the GT2 and the 996tt share the same tranny case, all the bosses are there to tap.