996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT X50 or GTR... There is no Substitute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Porsche951S is infamous around these parts
996 TT X50 or GTR... There is no Substitute

Well guys, Not to start another GTR thread, but I was 2 inches away from purchasing a GTR when a few things dawned on me..

Porsche.. There is No Substitute!

A. Over priced markup (for me it was 5k over)

B. Its an Oversized Mitsubishi EVO basically

C. Lacks the class and refinement of a Porsche

My whole life I have been a P car fan since my 944 Turbo S.

I changed my mind to the GTR because the 996 TT has SOO many mod potential at also very high costs with a large depreciating factor. The GTR on the other hand with a simple chip will get you into the 10s on the QT, handles already better than a GT3, with a superior AWD system and you can listen to an 11 speaker Bose system on the way home..

But!..

Reconsidering an X50 Package 996 TT, I figured a Simple Stage 2 upgrade, and LSD in the AWD system would give me similar results, and of course one cant deny the Porsche just has the Supercar looks that the Big Evo as I call it lacks..

So in the end I decided Not to go with the GTR.. rather I will go for a 996 TT X50, and as ive heard on this forum "Keep it Simple.. yea right..".. Im sure that this will start a Legacy of P car ownership for me, and so my next one a 997 TT modified will also give me similar and superior results..

Often I goto my car in the Parking garage and say, what would give me the most Joy to get into right now, I can only say that imagining a 911 TT, just gets me giddy inside over and over..

Cheers

Last edited by Porsche951S; 04-08-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Banned
epik is infamous around these parts
Nice, sounds like you had your heart set. It's better to take some time and think about it rather than regretting a big purchase.

The only thing about this situation that is unique is that with 5k markup, even if you didn't like the car you'd probably be able to sell it for more later on.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Porsche951S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by epik
Nice, sounds like you had your heart set. It's better to take some time and think about it rather than regretting a big purchase.

The only thing about this situation that is unique is that with 5k markup, even if you didn't like the car you'd probably be able to sell it for more later on.

True, it would be a October / Nov Delivery. I dont feel like waiting 8 months to get a car.. Also I will be living in Manhattan, and when I cruise around or goto Lounges to meet some Laides to party with, I think the P car will give the ultimate Hello Nice to Meet you in that regard.. heh.

GTR is just an Oversized EVO.. It dominated everything sure, but I had an Evo, and I just wasnt that impressed.. Porsche has the Beauty, the Sound, and the scare factor.. Thats more addicting..

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Banned
epik is infamous around these parts
Did you check out the GT-R in person?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough
Can I get on that list for the GTR for over 5K? My dealer here is offering at over 10k.

I would love to get on your list!

If anyone is interested in my 2003 TT, please let me know.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
That GTR that was tested won`t be the same car that you will get. The tires are stickier, the boost is more etc..etc... When all the mags test the customer random off the assembly car it won`t compare to this performance. I gaurantee you. Now comparing the 2 cars.......well when Nissan starts entering and winning some races..ANY races not just the 24 hour enduros, then I will buy one. With a company like Porsche you are involved in a racing heritage second to none, that is STILL winning races. As with the Nissan, they are owned by the French, bailed out of bankruptcy, and their testing has always been a little sneaky at best. In 2 years when you get that Nissan metal in the oil, don`t compain to me.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
dblock06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
That GTR that was tested won`t be the same car that you will get. The tires are stickier, the boost is more etc..etc... When all the mags test the customer random off the assembly car it won`t compare to this performance. I gaurantee you. Now comparing the 2 cars.......well when Nissan starts entering and winning some races..ANY races not just the 24 hour enduros, then I will buy one. With a company like Porsche you are involved in a racing heritage second to none, that is STILL winning races. As with the Nissan, they are owned by the French, bailed out of bankruptcy, and their testing has always been a little sneaky at best. In 2 years when you get that Nissan metal in the oil, don`t compain to me.
\

You should stop posting all that BS...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikerosi
http://supergt.net/supergt/2008/0801/0801race_e.htm

You said any race

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Sounds to me like you are comparing a brand new car to a used one. Apples and oranges in my opinion.. What do you plan to use tha car for? Do you plan to mod it? Do you have an ego (ie. would it bother you if they park your car in the back of the club instead of out front).

These two cars are very different in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Why its the truth!! The only Jap car EVER to win Lemans24 hour is a Mazda. But Honda, Toyota and the rest have been trying for years. At least Honda and Toyota are in Formula 1 and are very technologically advanced. I would buy one of their cars I think and BTW I did own a Honda NSX.. great car. Buy Americans seem to be saps when it comes to the Lexus, Accura, Infinity uber Asian hype., the rest of the world doesn`t have so many hooks in their mouths. Oh and BYW I am becoming an American citizen so go easy on me

Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche951S
Well guys, Not to start another GTR thread, but I was 2 inches away from purchasing a GTR when a few things dawned on me..

Porsche.. There is No Substitute!

A. Over priced markup (for me it was 5k over)

B. Its an Oversized Mitsubishi EVO basically

C. Lacks the class and refinement of a Porsche

My whole life I have been a P car fan since my 944 Turbo S.

I changed my mind to the GTR because the 996 TT has SOO many mod potential at also very high costs with a large depreciating factor. The GTR on the other hand with a simple chip will get you into the 10s on the QT, handles already better than a GT3, with a superior AWD system and you can listen to an 11 speaker Bose system on the way home..

But!..

Reconsidering an X50 Package 996 TT, I figured a Simple Stage 2 upgrade, and LSD in the AWD system would give me similar results, and of course one cant deny the Porsche just has the Supercar looks that the Big Evo as I call it lacks..

So in the end I decided Not to go with the GTR.. rather I will go for a 996 TT X50, and as ive heard on this forum "Keep it Simple.. yea right..".. Im sure that this will start a Legacy of P car ownership for me, and so my next one a 997 TT modified will also give me similar and superior results..

Often I goto my car in the Parking garage and say, what would give me the most Joy to get into right now, I can only say that imagining a 911 TT, just gets me giddy inside over and over..

Cheers

Not to start another GT-R thread.

Sorry but a chip will not get you .6 -1 in the 1/4 mile.

Modding the TT is not all that expensive, you can have a TT and all the mods you need to thrash a GT-R and still be under the MSRP of the GT-R.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche951S
True, it would be a October / Nov Delivery. I dont feel like waiting 8 months to get a car.. Also I will be living in Manhattan, and when I cruise around or goto Lounges to meet some Laides to party with, I think the P car will give the ultimate Hello Nice to Meet you in that regard.. heh.

GTR is just an Oversized EVO.. It dominated everything sure, but I had an Evo, and I just wasnt that impressed.. Porsche has the Beauty, the Sound, and the scare factor.. Thats more addicting..
If you will be living in manhtan let me warn you, a used $85k car is not going to be a wow factor for most girls I know. maybe a Phantom coupe or a Murciealogo, or even a 997, but not a 996 (and yes they know the difference). When I go out I keep mine parked in the garage. Having said that I love my 996 and use it for other things than to wow women as I know it won't get me far in manhattan.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
here we go again...

it comes down to how you feel having such a car... I , for one, have a porsche as well as a Evo... both serve the same purpose and both very fast.... they, however, offer different status symbols... and one has to get used to getting picked on by cops and other JAP cars that want to race me.... The porsche, on the other hand give me more peace and quite and most people just stare....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
A 996 to pick up girls ?....Status....get serious !

Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Disagree with some of the comments above.

The whole point is that is SOMETHING VERY DIFFERENT.

It's well value for money, granted it might have the odd bit of plastic here and there but the car as a package is well worth it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TT X50 or GTR... There is no Substitute