996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I want to start tracking; Where do i begin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 PM
CAA
CAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to all
I want to start tracking; Where do i begin?

As most of you know, i am new to the board. I have a healthy 996tt with only a exhaust and ss modification. I want to start running it on tracks but dont know where to begin. I live in Southern California and would appreciate any input on events or clubs that can assist me. I am complete novice to this but figure everyone has to start somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated....
CAA

Attached Images  

Last edited by CAA; 04-08-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
The first thing I would do is go to the PCA website. They have racing events all the time for all classes. You should also check the SCCA website. Between those two you'll find exactly what works for you.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Go to the RTR PCA chapter's website (others have this I am sure) and dig into DE's. Someplace there is a manual for DE's read it all....

Then, if not in the PCA, join and go to a DE. Follow the advice in that manual (what to bring, how to behave, etc.).

Worked for me.

JB

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
First thing I would do is to join your local PCA chapter. Most are wealth of advice. Second, get out and sign up for a couple of DE events. These types of venues really teach you how the car handles. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
also hit some of the local autocrosses

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I think you should begin by doing several autocross events before you get onto a fast track at a DE event. Auto-x will teach you a lot about the handling characteristics of your car.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM
CAA
CAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to allCAA is a name known to all
Thanks. There is actualy a local Auto-X venue this weekend close to me which I am going to attend. I appreciate all the advice.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can google the track names around you like "button willow", "fontana" and "california speedway" along with words like "track day". besides PCA, there are other organizations that are easier to deal with. my local PCA chapter has too many pre-requisites for a track day (ground school, shop inspection).

like others said, do an AX first.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
One caveat....my insurance agent told me the following:

If the event is timed, no coverage. If not timed, not problem- we'll cover you....check with your agent.

I agree AX would have been good...but if I did damage there, no coverage. At a fast DE (VIR)...full bumper to bumper....

Go figure. But, that was incredibly important for me to find out.

I have this in writing now.

YMMV.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Give us a call or stop by the shop.

We can help support your efforts and help you avoid the pitfalls many fall into when starting out.

We can and have supported clients who have never been on a race track or DE all the way up to getting them trained for pro racing.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Give us a call or stop by the shop.

We can help support your efforts and help you avoid the pitfalls many fall into when starting out.

We can and have supported clients who have never been on a race track or DE all the way up to getting them trained for pro racing.

He is amazing and helped me. Run, don't walk, to his shop to talk with him.
Wish I could just drive to GMG....

Fabryce...why can't you put a shop in Central PA?

JB

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned
stacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to beholdstacygrk is a splendid one to behold
First thing is......

Cut up all your credit cards, lock all of your money in 5 years CD's, payoff your house....BECAUSE once you start Auto-Xing, or DE...............you are going to be HOOKED, and you will SPEND all of your money on RACING...

Seriously,

Auto-Xing is great, but its boring.
I would get involved with PCA, POC, or even BMWCCA, and start going to HPDE (high performance driver education). Some of the clubs have excellent instructors and they can really get you started in the right direction.

But first, you will want to read up on the rules regarding car prep and driver requirements.

And since you live in So Cal, I would take Fabryce up on his offer to visit him down at his shop. Its a huge 15,000 sq. ft Motorsports Center. They do roll bars, harnesses all the way up to supporting and campaigning 3 2008 997 GT3 Cup cars in the World Challenge GT series.

www.gmgracing.com

Good luck. But dont say I didnt warn you...... $$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
triple_nickel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CAA
As most of you know, i am new to the board. I have a healthy 996tt with only a exhaust and ss modification. I want to start running it on tracks but dont know where to begin. I live in Southern California and would appreciate any input on events or clubs that can assist me. I am complete novice to this but figure everyone has to start somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated....
CAA
Where in So. Cal are you?

I go up to Streets of Willow in Rosamond and I'm headed to Calif. Speedway in early May and possibly back to Streets this month. There's also some other tracks around.

You can checkout these sites as well for track days outside of PCA and POC. They are a bit more reasonable, money-wise, for timed track day practice. I go through Speedventures mostly.
www.speedventures.com
http://www.speedtrialusa.com/index1.html

Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
If you are serious about tracking, I would sell the Turbo, NO JOKE!

I think most of the guys on here that track TT regular and are serious about it, spend an absolute fortune, If I was to turn back the clock I would have done a 996GT3RS for sure. If you get hooked you will take the car to far and probably beyond return, I look at my car now without a value on it's head, It's a hobby, I use mostly for track only now and if I have an off or an incident (Knock on wood) then so be it!

Don't get me wrong, the Turbo is quick on track but you will lose out BIGTIME on stock brakes and suspension and to compete with the likes of the GT3RS you will find yourself spending fortunes.

If I was you I would try a couple of track days first and see how it goes after that.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Just to add, I'm happy with the way my car has turned out and performs but let's say it wasn't cheap

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want to start tracking; Where do i begin?