996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Great News! Custom Upsolute with StageII Turbos!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Javasuperhero
I hope you're not considering going to IMP in Clifton. I went there a week ago and couldn't even dyno my car there after 3 hours of them beating the crap out of my car on the dyno. I should have driven the extra hour or two to AWE. Oh well.

Just curious, does that price of $1600 for the turbos include cores? Or do you have to send your K16s to Kevin?

Thanks.

Really??? That's where I was going to go! Hmmmm....looks like i'll go to AWE...since they do have the experience, etc.

the 1600.00 price tag requires you to send Kevin your turbos. If you want to keep your turbos, I think there is an additional 1200.00 charge.

Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Who knows about a 10 sec 1/4...but if their k16 setup can do mid 11s all day long...It can be possible?!?!! Quite frankly, I could really careless about the 1/4mile as that doesnt prove much if anything to me.

AC Schnitzer?!?!? No way. They're good for their accessories at best. Alpina, I'll agree as they've had some great setups.
I was being facetious. You have to run over 700hp with good area under the curve to run into the 10's. I'd like to see an Upsolute prepped car go up against a Garrett ball bearing turbo package from Protomotive. I know where I would place my bet. Why don't you ask Kevin how hard it is to break 11 seconds?

You should enter your car into Chad's Shootout.

As for AC Schnitzer, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Accessories? If you compare my DFC suspension for the M5 against the Dinan Stage 3, it's not even close.... Schnitzer is probably one of the few tuners that is more expensive than Dinan, BUT at least you get what you pay for. They have a racing pedigree and they do extensive R&D on their work.

And that IS the moral of the story. You get what you pay for.

I don't think Upsolute will be putting Alois Ruf out of business anytime soon!

Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Hamann7
You should enter your car into Chad's Shootout.

As for AC Schnitzer, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Accessories? If you compare my DFC suspension for the M5 against the Dinan Stage 3, it's not even close.... Schnitzer is probably one of the few tuners that is more expensive than Dinan, BUT at least you get what you pay for. They have a racing pedigree and they do extensive R&D on their work.

And that IS the moral of the story. You get what you pay for.

I don't think Upsolute will be putting Alois Ruf out of business anytime soon!
Shoot out? what for? What do I have to prove? Im just a happy customer who got great performance for a damn good price. That's it! I certainly have no bragging rights as roughly 600HP is not much these days. However...look at other tuners out there that are having such a disparity in performace numbers....for a bolt on kit??? For the price people are paying...that's not acceptable.

Regarding ACS...im talking about the E36 M3. I had an M3, not an M5. ACS makes most if not all of their money on body kits, accessories, wheels, etc. Their bolt on performance packages are a joke. Actually, my one and only ACS mod was their suspension...for the price...not worth it. A H&R coilover for 1/2 the price could run circles around that setup. A very good friend of mine had practically every ACS bolt on option for his M3 and the car was a joke. It got smoked by my car in every aspect. Sure looked nice, but that's about it.

Moral of the story? You get what you pay for?!??!

So, based on what I paid, should I expect my car to break down? Dont think so. What about performance...i got similar performance to a 15K setup? Dollar for Dollar spent, I made out huge! Im still laughing all the way to the bank!

Btw...who said anything about RUF going out of business b/c of Upsolute. I think RUF makes a damn good product. Sean's RT Turbo is an incredible machine.

You should reread my post. I never knock a company that I have no experience with...you should do the same.

Last edited by BCS996TT; 07-13-2004 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
As for your friend's M3, I don't know the setup so I'll take your word for it. Dinan still sucks, any way you dice it up and it ain't even close to Ruf.

Is the Ruf R Turbo package a waste of money for $24,000, which is roughly 10X of what you paid?

I have seen the Upsolute chip in action... not bad for $500, but I would never stick that kind of chip in my GT2.

Maybe I "waste" a lot of money in your view, but I hardly think that I am a sucker to marketing gimmicks.

For the record, it's not like I am a customer of one of those $15K setups either. I have given my fair share of criticism on Stage 4GT.

I am glad you are happy with your $5000 setup (inc. exhaust). That doesn't mean the rest of us are stupid. It just means that certain tuners need to do more homework before releasing products.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Hamann7
As for your friend's M3, I don't know the setup so I'll take your word for it. Dinan still sucks, any way you dice it up and it ain't even close to Ruf.

Is the Ruf R Turbo package a waste of money for $24,000, which is roughly 10X of what you paid?
I personally wouldnt go as far as saying Dinan sucks...but I will state that if I ever have another BMW, DINAN will certainly not be my choice for tuning...overpriced and performance is lacking.

I cant tell you if RUF is worth the 24K. I've never had a RUF car, so I wouldnt know. However, I have yet to met a RUF owner who wasnt thrilled with the entire package. That goes a long way in my book. Reliability and Power seem to be excellent...plus resell value holds up much better than any other tuned car out there....

I personally thought about going RUF for the 998TT...we'll see.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:48 AM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
Bill
If you decide to go to AWE (or somewhere else) for dynoing, I would love to travel down with you and talk through the whole upgrade. Call or e-mail me when you find the time to go.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:38 PM
ebaker2 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Kevin
This turbo design was not intended as the 1/4 mile killer, I have other units that are better suited for that. It was designed for a upgrade to replace the GT1 hybrid, and K24's.. For one to ring out the maximum, the headers need to be modded and Bill can share his experiences as how long he took...
Kevin, what is the hot turbo set up for a 1/4 mile car? Also is the main restriction with the stock exhaust manifold the cylinder head end or the restrictive looking welded ring in the collector. I'm amazed at how small the collector opening is. It's almost like they put it there to purposely limit high RPM exhaust flow/power.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Kevin
I think Bill spent 10 hours hand porting his!!! It makes results, when you clean up the air flow..
Since i've received a number of PMs/Emails on this,

Off and on about 10 hours. You'll find yourself saying "just a little more here, just a little more there" It's not like you're sitting there for 10 hours straight. Also depends on your equipment and what type of cutter you have to remove all that metal. I simply used a dremel with a carbite cutter as well as a drill with a much larger carbite cutter. Considering that this is a no cost mod (time only), if you do the turbo upgrade...it's a no brainer!

I'll post pics later of the sections that I ported.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Rodis is infamous around these parts
BCS,
Thanks for the write up. Very informative.
Ron

Old 07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by oruehr
BCS996TT,

Did you ever do that dyno run?
Not yet...as I've been very busy with work. Im hoping to schedule a run within the next couple of weeks.

Also, I might send the turbos back, get them ported and possibly go ZC!

Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
where do I get these stage turbos

for my standard k16 housing please

Old 12-20-2004, 08:24 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
and is this set up still running smoothly

after a few more KM ?

Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Congrats!! Sounds like you are happy with your ride.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Still running well... no dyno yet...im super slacking in that department...

Since my run with Tony's StageIV has yeilded pretty much the same outcome time and time again, I assume I am at the 600HP mark.

He dynoed at over 500AWHP on Mustang dyno... I dont have the exact figures...so if Tony can chime in that would be great.

StephenTi should be getting the latest/revised program for even bigger gains... Im sure he'll post later on.

Last edited by BCS996TT; 12-20-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
I just got the latest updated chip, but have not really gotten to run the car due to the winter setting in... I need to be in Cali...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Great News! Custom Upsolute with StageII Turbos!!!