996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Add 30 hp on a K24 kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
They are the same. The turbos are the same too. The GT2 just runs more boost.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
+1... I'm betting that ANY car that hasn't had upgraded wastegates, along with a tune, needs them... If you're running 1.2bar, upgrade those springs...

You think the DVs made a difference, you ain't felt nothing yet.
Mike
Reading this post with interest.

Sorry if this is already been covered, but is this mod helpful for k16 car(stock turbos) with flash,exhaust,DV's.

My peak boost is 1 bar.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
donny chu is infamous around these parts
Thanks heavy. flash and exhaust what i should expect whp.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
440-530 depending the type of exhaust, type of flash, the dyno used and if you have any boost leaks or your DV's are weak.

On a dynojet in rwd you should be at 500 and up (should be), and if not, change your diverter valves and see if that changes. On a AWD mustang dyno you'll be on the low end.

No cats buys you extra HP in many cases. It's complicated with all the different types of dynos.

But more importantly, take it to the drag strip, and if you arent at some crazy elevation where you live, you should be trapping 120-125 easily.

Last edited by heavychevy; 05-06-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 PM
thanks heavy. so many exhaust out there how does one make the choice.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
It's really hard, if you have some guys local to you, it's best to try and get rides with them because some TT exhaust project noise into the cabin and it can get pretty loud. For some it's music, others, they hate it. None of them sound like a GT3 with a great exhaust or a great american muscle exhaust on the outside, but they are ok.

Do some searches and see what category you fit in, then go from there, there are tons of choices out there. And there are always used exhaust being exchanged in the for sale section so look in there from time to time as well, almost every thing you can think of.

My advice would be to start with something moderate and not docile so you can hear and feel the difference, but not obnoxious, and if you feel you want more, then trade up. You'll have to search the various threads to see which exhaust fits where.

Good Luck

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Right on heavy. thanks again.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I know you said you didn't want to do hybrids, but honestly the wastegate install would probably be almost as much work as the new turbo install (the hardest part is getting stuff out of the way to get at the turbos). You can get your K24s turned into K24/18gs and have upgraded wastegate actuators installed on them while they're out for cheap (should be in the $1200 neighborhood).
By waste gate actuators you mean I wouldnt have to deal any more with the waste gates set up ??? I have EVOMS waste gates and havent been able to reach the boost I desire... Sometimes in cold weather I have seen 1,2 but very rarely, the norm I see is 0,9 and 1,0, ECU has been remapped

Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 AM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
Once again 6speeders create a very interesting, useful thread. What a fund of experience and knowledge you share. Thank you.
Question: My understanding is that shortening the length of the WG control rods by tightening the adjustment nuts on the rods has the effect of pre-tensioning the WG springs. If this is correct, will not increasing this pre-tension sufficiently have the same result as installing stronger springs? Perhaps there is a limit to the amount of pre-tension that is possible so the equivalent of new, stronger springs cannot be attained, but if an improvement is possible for the cost of some minor, under the car adjustment, wouldn't that be pretty much a recommended procedure for us all?
Thanks again.
Lex

Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
No.You simply can not squeze them enough.

Heavy, have you done this yet?

Originally Posted by lexpro
Once again 6speeders create a very interesting, useful thread. What a fund of experience and knowledge you share. Thank you.
Question: My understanding is that shortening the length of the WG control rods by tightening the adjustment nuts on the rods has the effect of pre-tensioning the WG springs. If this is correct, will not increasing this pre-tension sufficiently have the same result as installing stronger springs? Perhaps there is a limit to the amount of pre-tension that is possible so the equivalent of new, stronger springs cannot be attained, but if an improvement is possible for the cost of some minor, under the car adjustment, wouldn't that be pretty much a recommended procedure for us all?
Thanks again.
Lex

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ari
No.You simply can not squeze them enough.

Heavy, have you done this yet?
Also, when you pre-tension the stock spring, you logically loose some range of travel. If you tighten them down too far, you loose some ability to modulate boost under part throttle. Replacement springs are the far better alternative.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by contigo
By waste gate actuators you mean I wouldnt have to deal any more with the waste gates set up ??? I have EVOMS waste gates and havent been able to reach the boost I desire... Sometimes in cold weather I have seen 1,2 but very rarely, the norm I see is 0,9 and 1,0, ECU has been remapped
It sounds like you need to adjust the "crack pressure" on your EVOMS wastegate actuators. Also, please note, under certain conditions, the ECU may be deciding to set a lower target boost level as a safety measure. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. On bad gas, or in extreme heat, you don't want to be hitting 1.2 consistently.