996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVO wastegates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
They must have left the nut and/or the retainer clip off of the nut. When we installed mine, we put a bit of locktite on the threads to keep the nuts from moving....but it's curious that your nut fell off when it should have been held in place by the retaining clip that goes over both nuts and clips to the rod. Sounds like someone did an OOPS.

We were also talking about the structure of the rods....and apparently some of the aftermarket ones are or were made of a completely threaded rod. That puts a stress point on the threaded bend and it usually breaks at that point. The "upgraded" replacements are supposed to be solid with just the ends tapped for threads. I just used the OEM ones and installed Kevin's wastegate kit.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 08-03-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I mentioned earlier, I have a snapped evoms wastegate rod as well, A few have questioned the bend on a threaded rod, while I agree its not what it should be, it's still a metal rod connected to a valve on the turbo...is there really that much pressure to snap the rod?

Last edited by DEEPBLUE; 09-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.