996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS Stage 4 GT vs Ruf 993 Turbo R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
EVOMS Stage 4 GT vs Ruf 993 Turbo R

I just had a great time comparing my Ruf 993 Turbo R (490 HP) with Nelson's EVOMS Stage 4 GT (603 HP).

We ran several runs starting in second gear at about 30 MPH and ending at 150 MPH+.

In all runs, the cars were nearly identical. We would either be dead even, or the Ruf would be a car or two ahead, depending on who started first or who shifted faster.

Bottom line is HORSEPOWER DOES NOT EQUAL PERFORMANCE, so forget the dyno and take your cars out to see how fast they really are!

Note that accelerometer comparisons between another EVOMS Stage 4 GT and my car show similar results.

Last edited by Bill S; 07-12-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Also, I think too often, people fixate on peak hp/tq figures as opposed to the area covered under the curve.

Peak yields tell you far less about performance than the shape of and area under the curve. A broad torque curve that covers a large area (under the curve) could potentially yield a more potent performing car than one that dyno's 50hp higher at it's peak, but covers significantly less area under the curve.

Last edited by StephenTi; 07-12-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
So right here. I don't understand why more people don't focus on this. Much rather have say a 20 percent increase in the area under a given torque curve area as opposed to a nice spike in torque on up the cruve.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:48 AM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
Yikes, does this mean the Ruf is underrated or the EVOMS is overrated.... or perhaps a combination of the two.

I do agree that avg. hp and avg. tq tell the real story and every dyno can print out this information. However, given the comparable engines displacement, etc.. I can't imagine this would make up the difference of over 100+ rated horsepower unless you are comparing it to another engine/setup entirely like an SL600 Mercedes with engine management that yields a torque curve like a table top (totally flat).

Are you content that a sub 500hp rated car with similar weight is as fast or faster than a 600+hp rated car? As long as you are happy, that's all that matters...
Just my $.02

Last edited by 02TurboX50; 07-12-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Re: EVOMS Stage 4 GT vs Ruf 993 Turbo R

Originally posted by Bill S
In all runs, the cars were nearly identical. We would either be dead even, or the Ruf would be a car or two ahead, depending on who started first or who shifted faster.
Something isn't adding up here.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Was 604hp Nelson's ACTUAL dyno numbers, or simply quoted numbers?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys. The torque curve is pretty much the deal. Also, keep in mind:

1. The 993 is lighter than the 996.
2. The Ruf turbos have very fast spin-up time between shifts.

Imaging watching a digital torque readout when you're accelerating. The fastest cars will see the numbers remain high and steady. The slower cars may actually see higher numbers, but they will dip down, especially right before and after each shift.

I've had people comment that it's unbelievable how my Ruf car pulls immediately at every shift. It doesn't seem to let up, even for a split second.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:28 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Bill S
Hey guys. The torque curve is pretty much the deal. Also, keep in mind:

1. The 993 is lighter than the 996.
2. The Ruf turbos have very fast spin-up time between shifts.

Imaging watching a digital torque readout when you're accelerating. The fastest cars will see the numbers remain high and steady. The slower cars may actually see higher numbers, but they will dip down, especially right before and after each shift.

I've had people comment that it's unbelievable how my Ruf car pulls immediately at every shift. It doesn't seem to let up, even for a split second.
Bill,

That is a function of the A/R ratio of your turbo's. They can excell in the low, medium or high rpm range. They cannot excell in all ranges. They can be good in all ranges, then they won't excell in one range. That is assuming other items being equal.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Bill's 993 Turbo R is VERY fast, I've witnessed it personally in action.

On the freeway, that thing is pretty insane! Was it faster than my old Turbo, maybe not, but for a rated 490hp, it was very impressive. Put it this way, when my M5 gets to 125-130, he's probably at 180+... I can only imagine what Ruf-Racer's car is like!

Bill, are you going to the Concorso in August?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Sounds from your description Tyson, that Bill has an A/R ratio of 1.4 or a little lower.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Porsche Fiend
I have no idea, Chad. But it was definitely designed to be an autobahn stormer, but the power comes on very quickly.

I would love to see KA run the ORR events in Nevada vs. Roland's Ruf. THAT would be interesting!

Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Hamann7
I have no idea, Chad. But it was definitely designed to be an autobahn stormer, but the power comes on very quickly.

I would love to see KA run the ORR events in Nevada vs. Roland's Ruf. THAT would be interesting!
Tyson,

KA was not set up to be an autobaun stormer nor a drag car. Yes, she would be fast as a drag car and somewhat uneventfull as an autobaun stormer above 205 mph. Now, put her in a set of twisties and .

Old 07-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Porsche Fiend
Yes, we know your car has a nice suspension, although I'm sure the nitrous and over 600hp would be useless as well... your words, remember?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Hamann7
Yes, we know your car has a nice suspension, although I'm sure the nitrous and over 600hp would be useless as well... your words, remember?
Tyson,

So true, and my words still stand about the 600 hp. Now don't forget the gearing and the clutch. They will engauge without any loss power and bit hard in most rpm ranges. That three disc clutch harnesses evey last pony immediately. No slipping or wasted power so to say. You might call them an unfair advantage. I'm not even considering tract or the rubber spread to the ground.

Last edited by cjv; 07-12-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned
Javasuperhero is infamous around these parts
What kind of turbos are used in the Ruf 993 Turbo R? K24s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS Stage 4 GT vs Ruf 993 Turbo R