996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 AM
harlosd is infamous around these parts
Brake Ducts

I did not mean the GTRs Ducts, I already have those. I meant the hose and hub assembly Mike showed on his car. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
HarlosD, You don't want to go that route... I tried them and actually have better results with the current setup I'm using, which consists of the GT3RS ducts, good fluid, SLOTTED rotors up front, and Pagid Yellow pads.

Mike

Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 AM
harlosd is infamous around these parts
Brake Ducting

Mike,
Thanks for the advice. I've had the opposite results so far. I've worn out a set of GT# Porsche rotors in 3 DEs using Pagid yellows and the GTRS brake ducts. The difference must be the rotors. Are you using PF rotors?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
stock rotors should last much longer than 3 DE's...
you might have too much front bias with you setup.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, Something is up bigtime. I got 9 days out of a set of front Pagid Yellows and 15 out of the rears. My front rotors have a total of 18 days on them so far.

You've either got a bias issue or you're braking at the 1 marker for every corner, every lap!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Mikelly,

Great thread. Very nice of you to start one with so much helpful info. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Mike,

another useful thread here would be comparing brake pads from the different manufacturers.

My front EBC yellows (aramid fibre??) wore down mid weekend (5 track days) at the track and the only options as I had no spares were Performance Frictions or Pagids available at the track.. I wanted Pagids but was told that the residue on the rotors left by the EBC's would not work with the Pagids unless the rotors were turned down or cleaned up with the OEM pads for a while, so I got the PF's. I believe the PF's are carbon/metallic.

Could we get a comparison stating what compounds/technology are used for the better known brands (include OEMs) and there characteristics such as longevity and effect on rotors, dust etc, more orientated for track use??

Suggested manufacturers for a comparison would be Pagid, Carbotech, Performance Friction, EBC and OEM's maybe...

Adam

Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Don't buy into that nonsense... get yourself a can of brake cleaner and after the pads/rotors have cooled, FLOOD the rotor with brake cleaner and install the new pads. Go bed them, and you're good to go. I've done this several times with different compound/pad types without any issues... I'm a Pagid pad fan, myself. The MINTEX brand pads are great street pads...

Mike

Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Yep, cleaning the rotors with brake cleaner could probably have done the trick..

I plan on getting Pagid yellows front/back (as well as new front rotors) over the winter and keeping the PFC's as backup.

I'd like to hear if anyone has used Carbotech pads for street or track. Seems like another possible alternative for Pagid/OEM/Mintex.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'm using Pagid yellows on the fronts and Pagid blacks on the rears. That is supposed to shift some braking bias to the rears. I have 6 track days on them now and they have plenty left. The rotors after 6 days are cracked about 5mm on some holes, but no cracks are joining or going to the edge. I'm shopping rotors again.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Larry, We're having a "get together" this saturday... You should come down, hang out with some other sixspeeders and grab one of those rotors I've still got on my bench! Send that sucker off to Coleman Racing and get into a rotor combo that will last you 20 track days and a bunch of street miles!

Mike

Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Thanks Mike, I'll PM you.

Did you get an entire race season out of one set of front rotors? And one set of Pagid yellows?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I got an entire season (18 days total from me and the original owner of them combined) out of the rotors (Still on the car with plenty of meat!!) and I got 15 days out of the rear pagid yellows with 9 days out of the front Pagid Yellows.

Mike

Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
SINCITY_TT is infamous around these partsSINCITY_TT is infamous around these parts
New to the forum

Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
For me he Pagids are just THE Gold Standard of pads, got em at www.Rennstore.com, knowledgeable guy and fair prices (if Pagid prices CAN be fair)
NO problems whatsoever, long life and incredible professional performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!