996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I am also adopting a different braking style this season. Earlier on with pretty hard press at first then modulating to less and less g force as the turn approaches. I don't know if it helped my lap times bc I did several other modifications to the car, any, or all of which could have contributed to better times. Interesting to me is that I turned my boost down to 0.96 bar due to excessive wheelspin out of some corners and turned the best lap ever (in constant traffic---there were over 75 cars in my run group). Also interesting to me that my back straight speed on that lap was 152 whereas it used to be the marginally controlable 170+ that Dez mentioned earlier. Let me rephrase marginally controllable------really scary!

I have gone to the PFC 06 this season and really like them. torque feels like almost as much as the 01's I used to run (purely subjective evaluation) but the best part is that after 3 days at Road Atlanta I still have 8mm of pad left on the front. With the old-style braking and 01's, I couldn't have made 3 days without changing pads.

I'm now running Brembo GT all corners and one complaint I have is a longer brake pedal due to the extra volume of all the larger (and greater number of) pistons taxing my stock 996 tt master cylinder. Not a big problem but one worth mentioning for those of you considering that change.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Oranges are the easiest on rotors - BUT they are the weakest by far tend to pad transfer under hard use on our cars. Our calipers & rotors ARE WAY TOO SMALL.

Yellows and Blacks are tough little mothers.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
oranges are the easiest on rotors? not from my experience. they seem to wear on my rotors quicker than the yellow or blacks.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Me too.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
Awesome! Just the news I was hoping for. The local tracks here don't have quite that much speed so I'm hoping I can get a season or two out of the stock calipers before I need to upgrde.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Jeff, yes they will work just fine. What I would be careful of is rotor wear though, I used to get cracks in the stock 330 mm rotors in one day using pagid oranges, which I have heard to be even harder on rotors than any other pagids. I can't say for sure how the blacks will wear on the 4 piston setup because I haven't tried it in that fashion. My first set of blacks was used on 6 pistons.

But your setup idea is just fine. Make sure you vent the front though and run something like motul or AP racing with boiling temp in the 600's or higher. Also depends on your local tracks and your braking style, but make sure you get the best fluid above all.

You short list should be:
Motul/AP Racing or other 600* rated fluid
Custom brake ducting or at the least GT3 RS lower brake ducts
Steel Braded Lines

That should assure you of no brake failure and little to no fade with the front ducts expecially if combined with the lower ducts too.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I refuse to support internet brands

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM
dubkiller is infamous around these parts
are any soild / grooved discs available for the stock turbo cliper yet ?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
The problem with Oranges is they pad transfer - MUCH too weak for a 996TT that sees track use.
Now for street/AX/light track use they are ideal.

It's all about the right too for the job ! You must use Yellows and have a TOUGH fluid to have a chance -

Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I think the Brembos are... Check with Dan at Vivid... He's offering them at a grear intro price!

Mike

Originally Posted by dubkiller
are any soild / grooved discs available for the stock turbo cliper yet ?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Has anyone done any research on replacement After Market pads front and rear for the OEM PCCB Pad? The Part Numbers for the OEMs are:

99735184801 (Front) & 99735294800 (Rear) These are the same as the 997 series PCCB pads and superceded the original 996TT PCCB (Gen I) Pads.

Please, I am just asking, I know the local community seems to swear by the highly inflated over priced OEM Pads. I have seen all the comments about If you do not use the OEMs you will wreck your Ceramic rotors. But all propaganda aside, I find it very difficult to believe that there is not a decent after market solution that is in fact better than the OEM set. You can bet your bottom dollar that Porsche does not make the pads themselves. There are far better brake pad manufacturers out there for a variety of solutions. And yes, I understand you cannot use Steel based pads etc. In fact they ideally would need to be far softer than the rotors.

I was just curious. There are a few manufacturers such a EBC that make pads specifically for the Ceramic rotors on the Porsche 997. I would love to get some opinions on them and any others that I am not currently aware of.

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-21-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Banned
Well, give rennstore@comcast.net an e-mail.
They have the P50 PCCB Motorsports pads you need.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:07 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by The Turbo
Thanks, although their prices seem as bad, in fact in some cases more expensive than OEM. And they do not list PCCB on their web site.

I was thinking more genreal brands like EBC etc. They list them for PCCB at reasonable prices, I was wondering of anyone tried them.

Thanks again

SWR

Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned
You need the P50s. Anything else is just idiotic and will RUIN a PCCB rotor at $4,500 each.
And don't get me started on EBC stuff..........

Last edited by The Turbo; 03-21-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by The Turbo
I checked on their list on their website and there is no P50 designation. I assume you mean the Pagid Pads. Can you be more specific.

Regards,

SWr

Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned
No, just e-mail him. They aren't that often requested one would think.
They are the P50 pads I believe , ask him about them for the PCCB brakes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!