996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
dubkiller is infamous around these parts
hi all.
i have been in contact with the guys at tarox uk, and they are willing to do a pair of solid two peice discs in 330mm. the price is about £650.00, but that is for a one off set. five orders will get a discount. the discs will also have grooves if i require. im going to do it anyway, so just offereing others the chance to.
i have only had great results on tarox discs before (20 rallys on one set of discs ! - lots of pads mind you !), and they never warp !.
i was just after a solid disc set, but cant find any anywhere, so this seems the ideal for the occasional track day guy / girl, and use your standard turbo caliper.
also bear in mind that the replacement discs will be cheaper as you will now have a seperate top hat.
pm me if your interested.
martin.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
bryantjew is infamous around these parts
dope info! thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Performance Friction have at least listened to my prayers if not answered them fully yet (referring to my earlier posts).

I have bene bugging them for quite a while and there has been some development for our cars getting the support they already give for GT2/GT3 and narrow body cars.

Take a look here on 6speed and over on the other forum at this link.

All great news for us, the more alternatives the better.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
So what do folks think is a better upgrade option for 996tt that sees moderate to heavy track use (black run group, 14-18 days per year)...

Performance Friction 330mm replacement rotors with stock calipers and yellows

or

GT3 calipers, 997tt 350mm rotors and yellows?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
I think if you go the GT3 caliper route then you may well have an option soon to go Performance Friction 350mm 997TT replacement rotors.

I track about the same amount as you and I am not wanting to turn my car in to a dedicated track animal but I am tired of tossing out rotors. My vote is the 330mm replacement be it from various options, the one I want to go with if it becomes available is the PFC one.. My 2c. And PFC pads are great too by the way, not knocking Pagid Yellows though either.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mose55
So what do folks think is a better upgrade option for 996tt that sees moderate to heavy track use (black run group, 14-18 days per year)...
What has been your results with your current brake situation?

I'm assuming you are running OEM 996TT brakes with an upgraded brake pad.
Fluid?
Braided lines?
Any ducting?

Your description of "moderate to heavy track use" let's me know you're serious about gaining as much performance as possible. Based on you current setup is, and the type of results you get, I could offer you a better perspective on what your next step should be.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by boss351
I think if you go the GT3 caliper route then you may well have an option soon to go Performance Friction 350mm 997TT replacement rotors.

I track about the same amount as you and I am not wanting to turn my car in to a dedicated track animal but I am tired of tossing out rotors. My vote is the 330mm replacement be it from various options, the one I want to go with if it becomes available is the PFC one.. My 2c. And PFC pads are great too by the way, not knocking Pagid Yellows though either.
Yes, if you take the leap to a GT3 caliper you will need to run the 350mm diameter discs. That's a great step IF you have determined that you absolutely need the additional heat capacity that the larger diameter will provide. Just remember that going to the larger caliper and larger diameter disc you will be adding weight. I would only go that extra step if you know for a fact that you need the additional mass and heat capacity.

I personally have run with quite a few people who make absolutely great use out of the 330mm diameter discs and the OEM Turbo calipers. The 330mm 2pc. discs are currently available from Brembo and will easily offer the best longevity for any option in that particular size. if you are planning to stay in the 330mm range for the weight benefit, you will want to use the highest quality disc available, and back it up with a proper pad compound, braided lines, and I would also use the GT3 ducting. This would be a "home run" setup, and also the lightest option (out side of going for a full BBK of course).

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
^^^^^^^^

Gary, agree on everything you say there with the exception on the Brembo longevity being the best, I think that is yet to be seen. It'd be great to see real stats on longevity for the options out there for cars that see a lot of track use that are similar to the 996TT's, guessing GT3's would be a close comparison but something heavier would be better.
When Brembo came out with their two piece option I thought my prayers had been answered, but basically the price was a little steep (initial setup and then replacement disc rings), but they went with cross-drilled rotors to "match" the rears on those not wanting to change out front and rear rotors, instead of going with what they have for other cars, like the GT3, with slotted rotors.
Though I am sure the cross-drilled Brembos will outperform cross-drilled OEM's, that stigma of cracked rotors hangs in the air and added to the cost made me hang back. PFC's intention to offer 2 piece rotors has yet again put my jump to say Colemans on halt. I am hoping that PFC gets the support needed to add the 996TT to their extensive fold of renowned performing products.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by boss351

Gary, agree on everything you say there with the exception...
I understand your point of view 100% and you are correct that the 996TT discs are just to new to have real world examples for this exact item.

BUT, even with that said, it's not unreasonable to look to Brembo's position in the industry and their results with similar products to get an idea for what you will be buying into. These discs use the exact metallurgy, manufacturing processes, R&D, testing scenarios, assembly, machining/balancing and quality control as the discs used in top level racing series such as ALMS, Grand AM, World Challenge, World Rally, NASCAR, etc...

Brembo does not sponsor any of the teams in any of these series, and the engineers for these teams will all tell you that Brembo is chosen based on their consistency, quality control, and longevity. The consumer that is paying for the product will be the first to go on record stating that they are not happy with the results that they were promised. Unfortunately, sponsored drivers and teams also go on record praising lesser qualified components based on ulterior motives. The confidence is that you just won't see that with Brembo products.

As for the decision to go with drilled discs as opposed to the Type 3 slotted, it was based on consumer feedback, and the fact that there is no rear option for the standard 996TT. We are all well aware of the stigma with cross drilled discs and that the intended use for this discs will include track time. The fact of the matter is that Brembo's metallurgy is much more resilient to abuse, and the engineering design for these discs minimizes the chances of premature and/or problematic cracking.

The discs are cast without holes. The drill pattern is engineered specifically so that the hole pattern does not interrupt the vein design and compromise structural integrity. The disc is drilled on one side, then the pattern is reversed on the other side of the disc. The diameter of the hole itself, as well as the number of holes & spacing between each hole, is selected based on the thickness of the rotor and the width go the air gap. Lastly the holes are all champhered, the disc is x-rayed for voids or inclusions, and rebalanced. The end result is a disc that when run with a properly selected pad compound will wear beyond minimum thickness without premature cracking or potential failures.

Last edited by Gary II; 04-21-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: removing some "BOLD" type
Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
Am running OEM setup but running race fluid, pagid yellows and have Cup ducts installed. Holding up nicely at track so far with no fade but a part of me is thinking that my car with me in it is still a buttload of mass to slowdown/stop for even the well designed OEM set up. A set of front rotors last me 9-10 days (about the same as the yellows) and replacements are <$400 a pair.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of

Performance Friction 330mm replacement rotors with stock calipers and yellows

or

GT3 calipers, 997tt 350mm rotors and yellows?
Of the only 2 options you give, I'm not sure either is a good choice. Gary is giving you better choices. Don't do it like I did by spending a lot of interim money with 3 different combinations before I finally decided to go with Brembo GT kits on all 4 corners. I ran PFC-01 for most of last season and got pretty good longevity from front rotors but have switched to 06 for this season. Looks like the pad is going to last longer and the rotor also. The brake bias with this system is the best to date. Some of the other attempts were mis-matched and the front brakes were doing more of the work than they shoud have been doing. Always keep the bias factor in mind when making your decisions. My 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Am running OEM setup but running race fluid, pagid yellows and have Cup ducts installed. Holding up nicely at track so far with no fade but a part of me is thinking that my car with me in it is still a buttload of mass to slowdown/stop for even the well designed OEM set up. A set of front rotors last me 9-10 days (about the same as the yellows) and replacements are <$400 a pair.
It actually sounds like your setup is doing pretty well for you. I understand the though of wanting/needing more brake, it's a definite confidence booster at the track and that alone makes a good difference at the track.

I like the idea of the 2pc. Brembo discs for the weight savings, benefit of full floating design, superior metallury and manufacturing. You'll still be able to use the same pads, braided lines, and ducting which is good.

I don't feel that the step up to 350mm discs with a GT3 caliper will do much for you since it seems like you are making good use of the 330mm discs already. As I said before, why add the weight if it's not necessary.

At around $1400 it may be more expensive than what other brands price out at, but dollar for dollar it's a great upgrade.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure if your budget would permit it, but as Al Norton stated, the Brembo Gran Turismo system is a phenomenal step up. Everything is lighter weight, the rotors definitely have proven to last longer, and the pad life is greatly improved.

The drawback to the full BBK...
Wheel fitment may become an issue due to the use of all larger components.
If you have the budget and the wheels, you will be out braking the entire field.

(I still like the value of the 2pc. discs and the ability to use all of your existing setup)

Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I refuse to support internet brands

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rennstore.com

I'll need to read this ~entire~ thread some day, but if ANYONE needs assistance with 996TT brakes, let me know.

(Gartuitous self-pat on back here) I have extensive experience with 996TT brakes and know exactly what is needed in 99% of all owner situations.

Before you pat yourself on the back...

This thread was started as a place for people to post useful and factual information (IE: "Sorting truth from Fiction") about brake products and upgrades for the 996TT, NOT as a place to just show up and say "BUY MY PRODUCT".

Welcome to the thread, I'm sure people here would appreciate some facts about your product and may have some questions for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!