996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
since Rennstore.com is no longer with us this thread can be reopened and hopefully can resume it's original purpose...for those of you who thought that IB was only interested in money you should find the banning of a board sponsor for bad behavior enlightening

Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Ive ordered a set of the Giro discs from Craig and some Pagid pads. Curious as to how they perform.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I refuse to support internet brands

Mike Kelly

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
mike, what happened? why are you upset? did I miss something?

is it because craig plugged rennstore?

clue me in.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Oak you got PM...

Mike

Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
The way I read it Craig got THE SHAFT from Gary II who was hiding as a Brembo employee and teamed with Vivid on a post.

Very dishonest behavior from them both, Craig apparently smartly got out.
Mike you need to read the posts..........anything else is innacurate based upon what I've plainly read.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
Craig was not banned. He quit. My estimate is because of the aforementioned crap.

In fact, this board is so full of BS and corruption that I cannot stand it.....
There are so much better sources of informaion out there.

Au revoir.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Au Revoir is right....it will surprise no one that The Turbo has the same IP as Rennstore.com...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
My 2c here.

I track about a couple of days a month, more when I can, and my skill level isn't bad (the top run groups in PCA and TDE), but no champ either. Last weekend was my first time using GT2 brake ducts (look like the GT3 RS whoppers) and I am sure they were a help, but it was at a track I was at for my first time (Harris Hill Road), the track isn't known to be hard on brakes so will be interesting to see how the ducts compare at another more regular track shortly.

My front rotors are like a frosty window on an icy morning, 6 track days on them from new, and borderline done, lots of cracks, most about 4-5mm long, some I'd guess getting up to the 9mm length limit.

Technically, we know we need better rotors for our cars at the track (for longevity and braking), technically, at my level, I don't see the need to go to larger rotors or calipers, I am not in a race (that may come but more likely in a SPEC Boxter), so spending significantly more on bigger stuff (calipers and rotors) to gain a few tenths a lap possibly doesn't seem worth it to me. Technically, I just want better 330mm rotors. By reputation and quality my choice would be Performance Friction (I don't have the same IP address of PFC or Motor Sports Brakes) but I have been hounding them for months to take our cars on.. It seems a pity for what they are offering, we aren't quite making it on their show of hands threads, getting close though. I hope that more people following this thread will take a look at the PFC offering and weigh all things up, going to their 330mm 2 piece floating rotors really is a technical upgrade without over-upgrading (I know there are plenty that can justify going to bigger brake kits and I am not knocking them at all).

Sorry, I know this is basically an opinion but factually tried to get something in there too.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 PM
scott is infamous around these parts
Back from the track

Up at Mid Ohio this weekend to try out the GT3 brake upgrade with pagid yellows all the way around. I ran ATE superblue fluid. My brother in law instructs and shared my car for the weekend. The brakes were awesome. Just the right pedal feel for me. No brake fade ever. Once they were warmed up, they worked really great. The only thing I did notice a few times was that I got a warning to check the brake fluid level. It only occurred while on track and pushing the car. When I came back in and checked the fluid, it was always full and the warning went off. Didn't happen every session. Any ideas or concerns?

All in all a great weekend up there. Weather was awesome.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scott
Up at Mid Ohio this weekend to try out the GT3 brake upgrade with pagid yellows all the way around. I ran ATE superblue fluid. My brother in law instructs and shared my car for the weekend. The brakes were awesome. Just the right pedal feel for me. No brake fade ever. Once they were warmed up, they worked really great. The only thing I did notice a few times was that I got a warning to check the brake fluid level. It only occurred while on track and pushing the car. When I came back in and checked the fluid, it was always full and the warning went off. Didn't happen every session. Any ideas or concerns?

All in all a great weekend up there. Weather was awesome.
Same outstanding performance here with Pagid Yellows and 996TT stock brakes (4 piston). No need for upgraded calipers or larger rotors IMO, but my stock drilled rotors had ridiculous cracks at every hole so I would love to upgrade to non-drilled lighter aluminum hat rotors.

Regarding your fluid warning: Under very hard braking, the front dips down and the fluid shifts in the master cylinder. This stimulates the fluid level sensor and triggers the warning.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Same outstanding performance here with Pagid Yellows and 996TT stock brakes (4 piston). No need for upgraded calipers or larger rotors IMO, but my stock drilled rotors had ridiculous cracks at every hole so I would love to upgrade to non-drilled lighter aluminum hat rotors.

Regarding your fluid warning: Under very hard braking, the front dips down and the fluid shifts in the master cylinder. This stimulates the fluid level sensor and triggers the warning.
Which is why we would do great with PFC's hats and rotors guys, just 4 more needed to sign on to make it happen! C'mon guys.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
scott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc

I was thinking it was something like this- thanks good to know. I wonder if the larger rotor will be cooler and thus less cracks. Will have to see after my next event in a couple weeks. After these, I'm going to slotted for the fronts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!