996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Steven,

Do you know how much greater the surface area is on the rear pads for the 997 rotor/caliper assembly compared to the rear setup on the 996? You may not have an exact sq mm dimension but can you tell me if the rear pads look substantially larger for the 997 as opposed to the 996?

In the front I added the 355mm Brembo slotted rotors and 6-piston monobloc calipers and have greatly upset the front to rear balance of the system. The rear brakes just aren't doing their share of the work and I am going through a set of front pads in a two-day track event. I am looking for alternatives for more torque at the rear without sacrificing my e-brake.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Al, did you look at the data yet? Was I right on @ 1:37?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I refuse to support internet brands

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Fantastic post, why is this not sticky yet?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've got 9 track days on my front Pagid RS29s and 15 days on the Rear RS29s and I removed them on Saturday. I'll take some pics and post them, but bottom line is I had to bleed the brakes twice during the CHIN event at VIR last week, and now I know why... I was within 1/8th inch of pad material left on the fronts, and down to less on the rears... Here's the thing... I had pulled and measured the pads for material thickness last Monday. I had about .32 -.35 inches of material on the pads before the event. So now I know that when I get down to .35 inches of pad material before an event, I need to swap them out and just put them aside "just incase" I need to finish a day, but not a full weekend.

Al, When I called up Rennstore and spoke w/Craig, he said the difference in pad size on the 996 to 997 was negligable... I may try another pad for the rears (maybe the Pagid Blacks since they have more initial bite) but I can't argue with the 15 days worth of use I got out of those Pagid rears, 9 of which were using the 997TT rear rotor! You're down in Nascar country. Someone could fab some spacers for your calipers for $100!
Mike

I really like the RS14 blacks better than the RS29 yellows, but boy do those yellows last a long time. I put mine at the end of day 1 at VIR so did the next two days, then Barber, CMP, and Barber again, and still have plenty of pad left.

Still going back to black though, dont remember how long they last, but they sure do stop.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Mike,

I have decided for my first attempt at bias correction I am going with the 997tt rear rotors and Pagid Blacks. I also plan to go with a less aggresive compound on the front. Craig is checking in Germany for front pads for the Brembos. He thinks they have been manufactured but may not yet be stocked in the states. I have a shop drawing of the pad but will need to do a little extrapolation (scaled drawing but not all dimensions present) to see if it looks like something that will fit my calipers.

You mentioned earlier that a 12mm spacer is needed along with 997 bolts if I plan to use my current set of calipers. Do you know that to be an exact dimension? I plan to machine the spacers myself but someone else will be doing the installation. I would like to get the spacers ready before I haul the car over to his shop.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !

Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Mike, I already have that bar stock in stock so that will be a cinch.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Thanks Mike, I already have that bar stock in stock so that will be a cinch.
Al,
Wanna make another set and sell them to me?

I can get the caliper bolts, rotors and pads but don't want to go about making these (or sourcing them)...

If somebody were to make a few sets of these, I'm sure that there's a little market out there! Many of us who are going to the GT3 fronts or Brembos are going to want these...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Kato, If I don't find it too big a PITA and I have the time, I will run off another set for you. I think I have a side cutter that would square up a stack of 4 ( if my Kurt vice will stabilize a stack of 4) and then an end cutter to punch all the holes at once. I'll see.

Not interested in establishing a side business with these things. My mill is DRO but not CNC.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 AM

Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Mike,

I don't have the 1/2" stock like I thought. It is 3/8" so I'll need to order material. Did you use 6061 T6, 7075 T6 or what?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Mike, I was recently told by one the chief PCA tech inspectors that when the pad material thickness equals the backing plate thickness, it is time to change the pads. Looks like you went beyond that. But you surely got your money's worth from those pads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Brake Information - DIY and Sorting truth from Fiction!